1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bespoke shoemakers in USA

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sully, Sep 20, 2015.

1. sully

sully Senior member

Visiting east coast USA soon. Any good shoemakers to visit or should I stick with european makers.I will be based in NY but can travel.
    Are prices on a par with UK /europe.

2. theplayerking

theplayerking Well-Known Member

What is your benchmark for comparison? Budget?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. comrade

comrade Senior member

Perry Ercolino. Based in PA but visits NYC weekly, I
    believe. Has an excellent reputation. I am not a
    customer.

http://www.perryercolino.com

Also in New York:

http://olivermoorebootmakers.com

I dropped into the store a year and a half ago to get out of a snowstorm.
    A customer was in for a try-on. He raved about them. I have no idea about
    their process.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  4. sully

sully Senior member

Prices vary a great deal, £3000 would be a good guess but taxes will inflate this
    I looked into Perry Ercolino and he says he measures and then sends them to England to have the lasts made which I'm not keen on I would rather the measurer made the lasts
    Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  5. sully

sully Senior member

[​IMG]
    Recently back from USA trip and didn't find it inspiring on the bespoke shoemakers choice, partly due to my lack of research and limited time but have looked more on the web and just picked the odd pictures I found to show how varied bespoke work can be.I make no comment as to what is good or not ,probably better qualified folk around to do that , A selection of what is around. Bespoke hand work is as varied as all other crafts or disciplines and prices are I think on a similar scale [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  6. chogall

chogall Senior member

That is very rare. Even for the UK shoemaking firms, its not always the fitter making the lasts, or the last maker doing the fitting. Nor do you get lastmaker doing the fitting firms like John Lobb Paris or Berluti, tho the fitters are well experienced shoemakers/lastmakers.

AFAIK, US bespoke shoemakers here make modifications to an existing last. I've seen a young maker using lastmaking blade based in SF.

Quote:
    Feeling adventurous? Go to unknown 'mystery' bespoke shoemakers to sponsor them practicing making shoes w/ your fund!

Otherwise stick with the establishment; might be more expensive but at least will have good quality.

At €3,000 range, your best bet will be going to Japan; far more meticulous shoemaking and process oriented.

7. bespoke lad

bespoke lad Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to Styleforum, but I'm a Bespoke shoemaker soon to be based in the country side of California in a small town called Chowchilla. There I will be working out of house making made to measure bespoke shoes. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015