• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bespoke from Hong Kong!

tricket

Reaction score
Trust me. I'd used Koo How twice and am not happy with them for the price they charge. They use corrected grain leather and do not know anything about raised arch. The leather they use for the sole wears out more quickly than other RTW shoes that I have.

Duck, can you tell if the leather used in your wholecuts are full grain or corrected grain?

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be corrected grain leather. however, like w/ any shoe maker in HK you should be able to bring your own leathers in if you want...

MikeB

Reaction score
I will be in HK from roughly 13th Feb until 20th Feb.

I was looking to engage the services of the shoe maker recommended in this thread, but am worried as I now realise that my visit coincides with the Spring Festival / New Year period.

I was also looking to visit Jantzen for some shirts.

Will these establishments be shutting their doors in the run up to New Years? Will I have enough time for a proper set of fittings?

Also, will there be any language barrier (I know no Cantonese, or Mandarin for that matter)?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Gong Tao

Reaction score
MikeB, I will be in arriving in HK a few days after you. Jantzen will be closed from at least Feb 17th (the day I arrive) and reopen March 4. I imagine you have time to get some shirts, but you might want to check with Ricky. He actually answered my e-mails about his vacation schedule very promptly. English is not an issue at Jantzen, and in my experience most HK natives speak adequate English (former colony).

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, my! If only I had a reason to go to Hong Kong!

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the shops should be closed on the 18th (1st day of the Chinese New Year). But other than that, retail shops should be open long enough for you to get your shoes/shirts

MikeB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gong Tao
MikeB, I will be in arriving in HK a few days after you. Jantzen will be closed from at least Feb 17th (the day I arrive) and reopen March 4. I imagine you have time to get some shirts, but you might want to check with Ricky. He actually answered my e-mails about his vacation schedule very promptly. English is not an issue at Jantzen, and in my experience most HK natives speak adequate English (former colony).

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Could you post Ricky's email, by any chance? The website does not seem to be accessible from mainland China, nor the Google cache (very odd....). I have the address and telephone number, if all else fails.

I hope that you enjoy New Year's in HK!

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'd be best if you just call him. We're on +8:00 GMT, he closes at 8 pm, but normally answers calls into 8:30

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Thank you, Luk Cha, for such a promising lead.

I wonder if they can make a pair of those dress boots that Manton and etutee have described as part of formal morning dress?
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by luk-cha
zee's leather ware's
18 far east mansion arcade
g/f middle road
tst kln hk!

the address is here, i have post the contact info before here is the link
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=19560&page=2

about mid-way down the thread! in my amature asian shoe Appreciation thread.

MikeB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Don't bother to call him in the morning HK time, either. He doesn't open for business until 11:30 am on a good day.

Sounds like my kinda job! Thanks for the info, as you've saved me an early rise ;-)

I emailed Ricky and he replied that the timing was a bit tight, but he is willing to post the finished shirts to me. Hopefully I will have time for enough fittings... we'll see.

New Year's seems to be a nightmare period in China. I hear that a lot of transportation links are closed down from the 15th? Argh!

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shirts, Ricky would usually just measure you up once and then make up the shirts. When I went back, my shirts had already been bagged and sealed; they clearly didn't plan on second fittings. When you see his shop, you'll know why. It's tiny.

John Dory

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeB

New Year's seems to be a nightmare period in China. I hear that a lot of transportation links are closed down from the 15th? Argh!

Transportation remains pretty much the same in Hong Kong during Chinese New Year. You can still get around easily! However, a lot of the smaller shops do close down, often for the whole week (19-23 Feb) and possibly even longer as CNY is the only real holiday any of these guys have for the whole year.

MikeB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
For shirts, Ricky would usually just measure you up once and then make up the shirts. When I went back, my shirts had already been bagged and sealed; they clearly didn't plan on second fittings. When you see his shop, you'll know why. It's tiny.

But you would recommend having a second fitting (at the very least), correct? Would it be overly pushy / unusual to ask for one, as surely one cannot properly ascertain the fit without trying on the shirt first (and ensuring an optimal fit is the primary reason for me going down the bespoke route).

John - thanks for the info vis-a-vis transportation within HK. My main worry, however, was actually getting there from mainland China. I hear that overland services are at the very least cut down, and that those that are not entirely suspended are fully booked well in advance. I'll make it there somehow, though
musicboohoo[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads