• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berg and Berg

Shetterd

Reaction score
I get that. I like double pleats on a wool trouser, particularly high-twist or heavy flannel, since the pleat will hold its shape well. I'm more lukewarm on pleats when it comes to cotton trousers. But the Antonio flannels or high-twists look great with double pleats imho, particularly because they're a wider-leg pant for which the double pleats are more suitable. They look very clean and add nice sartorial detail. But to each their own, of course.
Based on your high praise and comments by @TheShetlandSweater and @ClinkingThearly, I have ordered a pair of Antonio Flannels in Charcoal, to compare to the other pair with the intention of keeping only one of the two. We'll see how that goes...

mbb355

Reaction score
Based on your high praise and comments by @TheShetlandSweater and @ClinkingThearly, I have ordered a pair of Antonio Flannels in Charcoal, to compare to the other pair with the intention of keeping only one of the two. We'll see how that goes...
Oh no, pressure! Hope you like them. I own those exact trousers and LOVE them, for what it's worth--amazing texture and perfect shade of charcoal. Just seems clearly a cut above VBC.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I got a pair of Antonio’s last year and really like them. Funnily enough I had them hemmed too and they sent the wrong fabric (grey fresco instead of grey flannel) so they kindly sent me a second pair, if that isn’t customer service I don’t know what is.

Getting it right the first time???

ClinkingThearly

Reaction score
I also hope you like them.

I liked the idea of double pleats as most mine are single so it was just a little bit of variety.

And I was intrigued to try the new flannel ( I have their mid grey flannel suit, from year 2018 I think which I believe is VBC and I much prefer their newer flannel.)

Let us know what you think when they arrive!

I'm currently considering the white Anton cords....

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

ClinkingThearly

Reaction score
They let you keep the first? Unfortunately, when stores get my order wrong, they only ever send the wrong size.
Yes they did, I was very surprised, I expected them to request me to return them but they said it was their error and so they sent the correct ones and said I could keep both.

Shetterd

Reaction score
I also hope you like them.

I liked the idea of double pleats as most mine are single so it was just a little bit of variety.

And I was intrigued to try the new flannel ( I have their mid grey flannel suit, from year 2018 I think which I believe is VBC and I much prefer their newer flannel.)

Let us know what you think when they arrive!

I'm currently considering the white Anton cords....
Will do, thank you! The cords are tempting, especially at that weight.

Shetterd

Reaction score
The flannels have arrived @ClinkingThearly @mbb355. Love that it comes with a hanger. The cloth is great, much denser and more substantial than the VBC flannel.

The fit I think it not terrible. Good in the waist, could be half a centimetre higher in the rise it feels like, and just is a bit tight around the seat (there is some cloth to let it out there, so hopefully that will be enough). But would be curious to hear what you guys think!
photo_2021-01-20_16-43-31.jpg

photo_2021-01-20_16-43-03.jpg

photo_2021-01-20_16-43-15.jpg

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
The flannels have arrived @ClinkingThearly @mbb355. Love that it comes with a hanger. The cloth is great, much denser and more substantial than the VBC flannel.

The fit I think it not terrible. Good in the waist, could be half a centimetre higher in the rise it feels like, and just is a bit tight around the seat (there is some cloth to let it out there, so hopefully that will be enough). But would be curious to hear what you guys think!
View attachment 1539254
View attachment 1539255
View attachment 1539256

That fit looks very good to me. I would definitely keep those if I were you. You may want to roll up the bottoms (like fake cuffs) before you get them hemmed and this would help you better see how they drape. Also, if you can, you might want to try pulling the back up 1 cm or so and then things should hang more neatly in back.

mbb355

Reaction score

View attachment 1539254
View attachment 1539255
View attachment 1539256
Fully agree. Fit looks great. Hard to gauge rise based on these pics but it seems fine. A definite keeper. The heavier, denser fabric goes a long way in terms of drape and the mottled grey is just lovely. Hard to find trousers like these off-the-rack. A go-to fall/winter pant.

Shetterd

Reaction score
That fit looks very good to me. I would definitely keep those if I were you. You may want to roll up the bottoms (like fake cuffs) before you get them hemmed and this would help you better see how they drape. Also, if you can, you might want to try pulling the back up 1 cm or so and then things should hang more neatly in back.

Thanks! The front does drape cleanly when it is rolled up. Definitely hangs better if I pick it up a bit in the back. Is there something a tailor could do to fix that drape in the back a bit?

Fully agree. Fit looks great. Hard to gauge rise based on these pics but it seems fine. A definite keeper. The heavier, denser fabric goes a long way in terms of drape and the mottled grey is just lovely. Hard to find trousers like these off-the-rack. A go-to fall/winter pant.

Thanks! Yes, agreed rise is a minimal issue. Definitely really like the cloth and the difference in weight is much more noticeable than I thought it might be.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Thanks! The front does drape cleanly when it is rolled up. Definitely hangs better if I pick it up a bit in the back. Is there something a tailor could do to fix that drape in the back a bit?

Thanks! Yes, agreed rise is a minimal issue. Definitely really like the cloth and the difference in weight is much more noticeable than I thought it might be.

This piece has relevant info about this alteration. It seems complicated, and if I were you I just might leave it (unless I had a really good alterations tailor nearby).

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1539254
View attachment 1539255
View attachment 1539256
Looks great. Defintely a keeper.

I'm thinking of ordering from them as well.

Do you mind posting a pic of the manufacturer's tag. Curious to see who makes their items.

mbb355

Reaction score
This piece has relevant info about this alteration. It seems complicated, and if I were you I just might leave it (unless I had a really good alterations tailor nearby).
Yeah I'd wait until the trousers are properly hemmed to assess drape before determining if further alterations are needed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads