• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belvest Suits

eztantz

Reaction score
Looking at this suit on STP - have a few questions though maybe someone here can verify.

1) How do they fit are they roomy like Hickey Freeman suits or slimmer like Zegna and other EU/Italian suits and i need to size up

2) Are they fully canvassed? STP usually has this info like on Isaia and Corneliani and being that they omitted this here I'm wondering why.

Thanx

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ridiculous markdown! Especially if you use the 20% code. (http://www.retailmenot.com/view/sierratradingpost.com) I believe Belvest is up there with Kiton in terms of handiwork. I've got a pair of Belvest slacks that are very well made. Many SF threads indicate that the suits are canvassed, which one would expect. They're not skinny suits, but they're not sacks, either. This was in Details awhile back:
00004f.jpg
http://www.details.com/style-advice/...photos#slide=4

eztantz

Reaction score
Can someone compare the sizing/cut to that of a different maker?

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eztantz
Can someone compare the sizing/cut to that of a different maker?

belvest cuts really vary by model, like any italian brand. but in general, the fit is typically athletic, while still being fairly roomy and forgiving. the one constant that you can count on is that, unlike an american brand like HF, the armholes will be nice and high... even for the looser fits. shoulder padding runs the gamut from light to moderately built-up - again, depending on model.

they make superb suits that don't deviate from the established higher-end italian model of essentially machine-made, with a fair amount of hand-finished details. however, are you sure you really want this one? the stripes look a bit pimpy up-close.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
They're not skinny suits, but they're not sacks, either. This was in Details awhile back:
00004f.jpg

this looks really excellent - you can see the very clean shoulder, high armholes, nice chest shaping, and typically nice belvest proportions to excellent effect.

eztantz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
belvest cuts really vary by model, like any italian brand. but in general, the fit is typically athletic, while still being fairly roomy and forgiving. the one constant that you can count on is that, unlike an american brand like HF, the armholes will be nice and high... even for the looser fits. shoulder padding runs the gamut from light to moderately built-up - again, depending on model.

Im big in the chest (slightly barrel chested so a roomier chest is best) with a relatively normal gut - perfect for HF not for slim/athletic Usually run between 56L/58L EU in Zegna some Corneliani 56L fit great others just have the most odd measurements...

they make superb suits that don't deviate from the established higher-end italian model of essentially machine-made, with a fair amount of hand-finished details. however, are you sure you really want this one? the stripes look a bit pimpy up-close.

Kinda hard to make the pinstripes out - some items have swatch pics but unfortunately this doesnt

silvercitynyc

Reaction score
Any update on the general sizing/styling of Belveset in relation to, say, RLBL (ignoring the high-roping of RLBL)?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im big in the chest (slightly barrel chested so a roomier chest is best) with a relatively normal gut - perfect for HF not for slim/athletic Usually run between 56L/58L EU in Zegna some Corneliani 56L fit great others just have the most odd measurements...
Kinda hard to make the pinstripes out - some items have swatch pics but unfortunately this doesnt
Several points: 1. I own several Belvest suits and jackets. I wear 44 R and actually measure 44" in the chest with proportionate shoulders. 2. Wilkes Bashford in San Francisco carried Belvest until 2010/2011. Their G335 model should work for you. It is available on the web principally at: http://www.frieschskys.com/index.php/all-brands/belvest Barcelino in San Francisco also carries Belvest but its' design makes it more appropriate for Silvio Dante or Paulie Walnuts of The Sopranos. Not the SF paradigm. 3. I understand that Peter Elliot in New York Also carries Belvest. I have never seen their models " in person". But the shop's overall look is trad/ classical, a la Paul Stuart. Overall, beautifully made garments. PM me if you need more details.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about NYC area? Their site is less than helpful.

Theres a place on madison that regularly has them on sale. Im not sure of the name but its near the sony store. Will post here when I'm sure of the name, they also carry partenopea

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads