• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being well dressed VS having an ugly body..

cfig

Reaction score
That would an interesting experiment actually. I wonder if Buscemi ever wears tailored clothes? Can't recall any photos of him at a premiere or anything.

As per eating right and working out I think there's a balance like anything else. I'm in my mid 30s and have added about 14 pounds to my frame in the last three months, mostly muscle. It did take some effort, I eat much better now and work out several days a week, but I don't do two hours a day in the gym, abstain from alcohol, etc.

In general the folks who complain about being fat and not being able to lose weight are the ones who don't put much effort into trying to change that. If you're happy with where you're at than more power to you.

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I actually lost 100 pounds. I didn't do any of that. I just stopped being a hog. Didn't drink soda, or eat two burritos before bed and such. There is no secret to losing weight really. Just don't eat as much. As far and doing push-ups and being tone and all of that nonsense I couldn't care less. I'd rather go shoe shopping.

that kind of weight loss is too slow.
who has patience in the 21st century?
it has to be done and visually you can see progress within a few days

for me, i have even less patience for body building or fitness in general
i still wonder why i am not on roids
laugh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cfig
That would an interesting experiment actually. I wonder if Buscemi ever wears tailored clothes? Can't recall any photos of him at a premiere or anything.

As per eating right and working out I think there's a balance like anything else. I'm in my mid 30s and have added about 14 pounds to my frame in the last three months, mostly muscle. It did take some effort, I eat much better now and work out several days a week, but I don't do two hours a day in the gym, abstain from alcohol, etc.

In general the folks who complain about being fat and not being able to lose weight are the ones who don't put much effort into trying to change that. If you're happy with where you're at than more power to you.

article-0-0B0F3972000005DC-866_634x445.jpg

I should ask my friend who is a waitress and serves him eggs almost every morning in a restaurant in Brooklyn.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
that kind of weight loss is too slow.
who has patience in the 21st century?
it has to be done and visually you can see progress within a few days

for me, i have even less patience for body building or fitness in general
i still wonder why i am not on roids
laugh.gif

Somebody who actually has a life and not just lives to be ripped.

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
I feel a need to counter JuniorVarsity's rigid approach to a healthy lifestyle with some common sense. He's doing the decennia old brown rice, chicken and broccoli routine. You don't need to go fat free, you can have your indulgences, but in moderation. Portion control is the key.
It is wise to remove a portion of sugars from your diet, get used to a less sweet taste, therefor avoid artificial sweetners. Fat is not the enemy, we can handle quite a bit of fat as long we counterbalance it with our energy expenditure. Make sure that most of the fats are the proper ones: the usual suspects like olive oil and ***** fish.
Work your way to a new equilibrium, one where you loose weight very gradually or maintain the current weight. Doing it this way I am now at 175 lbs at 5'11" and hovering around 10% bodyfat.
People often assume I spend most of my spare time at the gym or that I eat squeaky clean, neither is true.
I do have an active lifestyle: I train 4-5 a week for an hour: cardio, bodybuilding, but also yoga. I try to get a 2-3 hour bike ride in every other sunday. I also like my food: cheese, fish, meat, olive oil, veggies, wine, beer, etc. Lot's of variety and lots of greens are essential! I cook everything myself: fresh ingredients, I know exactly what goes on my plate!

On-topic: Well fitting/selected clothes at the very least give the wearer an aura of attention and personal care. They can also give the wearer a more flattering silhoutte.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can also compensate for an ugly body by turning out the lights but there are more effective strategies. For those minor imperfections where hard work at the gym can't outcompete genetics to the extent you wish I find tailoring can be a godsend.

Oh, and hi Misc. Glad to see you lurking.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
To what extent -do you think- can one compensate with well-tailored clothes for an unshapely (fat, distorted, unaesthetical, ugly) body?
It'll help with the liquid flesh. The face is another thing
frown.gif
Lear (the ugly one)

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maltese_Falcon-greenstreet.gif

ecclespeccles

Reaction score
cary grant was said to have eaten what he wanted, but always had small portions. He also did light weights 1 hour a day to maintain his slim figure. I assume this would have left him time for shoe shopping, and therefore think it is a good middle ground. perhaps an hour less on styleforum would do the trick?

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
It doesn't take a lot of self control. Portion control. Work out a little. Stay off the prepackaged crap.

+1 on portion control and avoiding prepackaged crap.

It really helps to have a child who's allergic to wheat, corn, soy, and milk, too. When son #2 was born, we had to drastically change our diets. Pretty much everything we eat is home-cooked now (not necessarily from scratch), or components of our meals (e.g., rice pasta) are bought at organic markets or from local farmers. We all lost some weight there.

BUT, not everyone can simply take two hours to work out intensively every day. I grab a half-hour walk over lunch every day, walk the dog at night, and go biking with the kids. That's all the exercise I can afford to do right now.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe one also shouldn't underestimate the influence of drugs like alcohol or endorphin (due to sports or stress) on ones self-perception, they can make one feel sexy and cool or strong at least in ones mind...or maybe one should meditate or create poetry...?

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
I think the overwhelming majority of ugly or fat people dont have the confidence to pull off nice clothes...

but if you are fat, lose the damn weight. its not hard.
i gained 15lbs of fat and muscle during my bulk stage and i shed 10lbs of garbage weight in 2 weeks during my cut phase.
now i am 150lbs @ 5'7 with 11% bodyfat

so just to tell you how much you can lose weight. 10lbs in 2 weeks.

LOL, this is dumb and ignorant. Certian people are genetically predisposed to retaining a higher percentage of body fat. The fact that your weight swung up and down in a period of weeks is aboslutely irrelevant to how hard it is for someone who has always been fat to shed pounds.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
LOL, this is dumb and ignorant. Certian people are genetically predisposed to retaining a higher percentage of body fat. The fact that your weight swung up and down in a period of weeks is aboslutely irrelevant to how hard it is for someone who has always been fat to shed pounds.

Exactly. I naturally tend to be slim, so if I ate a tonne of **** and managed to put on some fat, all that I'd need to do to lose it again is basically nothing, just eat normally and it would fall off again. But someone who naturally tends to gain weight might need to do a lot of excercise to counteract that and actually burn it off. It's certainly still possible, but to say that it's equally easy for everyone is just being ignorant.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have found to keep the weight off, it is more about creating a new normal for yourself. A lifestyle change so to speak. Genetics is one thing, but the fact is if you eat less calories you will lose weight. There is no way around that and nothing to blame it on besides yourself. I still have my family's tradermark love handles even with a thin frame, and it would take a ridiculous amount of cardio for years, (or lipo) to get rid of it. This is different than just being a fat-ass and eating everything in sight and blaming it on genetics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics