• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being well dressed VS having an ugly body..

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
i turned myself from a stick figure to what i am

If you started as a 'stick figure', how the hell would you know how hard it is for a fat person to lose weight? Gaining then losing weight when your naturally skinny is hardly the same as losing weight when you naturally tend towards fatness.

And this isn't coming from a *****, I'm currently a 'stick figure'. I wouldn't dare to lecture anyone on how easy it is to lose weight because I've never been a person for which losing weight was necessary, and clearly neither have you. If you're anything like me it's the gaining weight which is hard, as long as you eat a reasonably healthy diet you will continue to tend towards the 'stick figure' end of the scale. That doesn't mean it is like that for everyone.

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
If you started as a 'stick figure', how the hell would you know how hard it is for a fat person to lose weight? Gaining then losing weight when your naturally skinny is hardly the same as losing weight when you naturally tend towards fatness. And this isn't coming from a *****, I'm currently a 'stick figure'. I wouldn't dare to lecture anyone on how easy it is to lose weight because I've never been a person for which losing weight was necessary, and clearly neither have you. If you're anything like me it's the gaining weight which is hard, as long as you eat a reasonably healthy diet you will continue to tend towards the 'stick figure' end of the scale. That doesn't mean it is like that for everyone.
obviously i had to put on weight to become more muscular and you cant just pack on lean meat, whatever you gain during your loading processing will be both fat and muscle. so i started @ 140lbs and got to 162 @ 5'7" (more than 20lbs of fat, muscle, water, etc) then i obviously wanted to cut the and get leaner, it took me 2 weeks to lose 10lbs from 2x and sometimes 3x a day of exercise. morning run, working out around noon and finishing off with evening jog/spirited walk. so, yes, i was technically fat for a bit, then i had to lose a lot of it. gaining weight is NOT hard. when i was bulking, i ate everything... 3 cheese burgers and large fries from mcdonalds. you need to eat an extra of 3600 calories to gain every lb, and vice versa. if you eat only maintenance level then of course you cant gain any weight.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
You lost 10lbs of fat in two weeks?
confused.gif

10 pounds of garbage weight. um yeah you lost water weight bro.

Xenon

Reaction score
Properly fitting clothes can absolutely hide many flaws to an extent.

Olive oil: most of the stuff on the market is over processed low grade stuff that has been heated and corroded. No where near the health benefits claimed. Also the safest fat to cook is by far butter, yes it's saturated but that saturation protects it from corrosion under heat. Olive oil has a very low flash point and is one of the worst PUFAs to heat as all sorts of unhealthy chemical transformations occur quickly.

I am very lean and 40 and would never claim to have good advice to give about losing weight but we must get away from banning entire classes of food. I eat fried foods, butter, cheese, real ice cream (Haagen Dazz made with real cream and natural ingredients only), red meat, foie gras, beer, wine, spirits, red meat and all in moderation. I have also never spent a single minute in a gym and will never do so, but I am active. Balancing food intake and activity is one important step to achieving a healthy and fit body.

noggin

Reaction score
i am 25, working full time (with plenty of overtime hours), going to the gym daily for 2 hours.
i eat whole wheat chicken or turkey meat sandwich every day for lunch at work.
i drink 1 serving of pro-complex protein every morning along with 3 servings of organic whole grain cereal + fat free milk.
for dinner its usually home cooked pasta or rice + chicken/fish/seafood/beef/tofu
between meals, i eat the organic whole grain/trail mix snack bars.
no soda, i just drink seltzer water, tea or regular purified water.

its not as difficult as it seems. basically an athlete's diet.

Sounds fun. You must be really interesting.

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
Properly fitting clothes can absolutely hide many flaws to an extent.

Olive oil: most of the stuff on the market is over processed low grade stuff that has been heated and corroded. No where near the health benefits claimed. Also the safest fat to cook is by far butter, yes it's saturated but that saturation protects it from corrosion under heat. Olive oil has a very low flash point and is one of the worst PUFAs to heat as all sorts of unhealthy chemical transformations occur quickly.

I am very lean and 40 and would never claim to have good advice to give about losing weight but we must get away from banning entire classes of food. I eat fried foods, butter, cheese, real ice cream (Haagen Dazz made with real cream and natural ingredients only), red meat, foie gras, beer, wine, spirits, red meat and all in moderation. I have also never spent a single minute in a gym and will never do so, but I am active. Balancing food intake and activity is one important step to achieving a healthy and fit body.

a fit body is not as good to the eye as an athletic body
and an athletic body is not as good to the eye as cristiano ronaldo's lean, mean 85 million dollar machine.

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noggin
Sounds fun. You must be really interesting.

interesting-ness is totally subjective
plain.gif

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
I actually think fairly obese people in impressive clothing can look rather imposing - even intimidating.

In some situations it might be better to be fat and well-dressed than fit and well-dressed. If you are attractive and well-dressed it can be a bit too much, overwhelming and give the impression of dandyishness or flightiness. On the other hand, the fat, suited man seems ready to make a serious move - he seems like he means business. Obviously, there are limits to this in terms of fatness.

Originally Posted by babygreenspots
A fat well-dressed guy seems like he might own a diamond mind, whereas a fit, well-dressed guy seems foppish.

I supposed the days of the bloated plutocrat are over though...rich people are fit (and generally badly dressed), these days.

rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i am 25, working full time (with plenty of overtime hours), going to the gym daily for 2 hours.
i drink 1 serving of pro-complex protein every morning along with 3 servings of organic whole grain cereal + fat free milk.
for dinner its usually home cooked pasta or rice + chicken/fish/seafood/beef/tofu

All that and you haven't even made varsity yet? Sheesh.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes its not difficult. One needs a certain amount of drive and motivation. I lost 45 lbs and 7 inches off my waist in 7 months by exercising regularly and eating healthy. Just like anything else in life, its just how bad you want it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually lost 100 pounds. I didn't do any of that. I just stopped being a hog. Didn't drink soda, or eat two burritos before bed and such. There is no secret to losing weight really. Just don't eat as much. As far and doing push-ups and being tone and all of that nonsense I couldn't care less. I'd rather go shoe shopping.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The opposite is definitely true: if you have a beautiful body, you will look good in almost anything.

My guess is the total picture is 70% body, 30% clothes, with some accounting for individual taste adjusting the numbers in the end. That is pictures.

The real life formula is probably more like 30% manner, 50% body, 20% clothes, with manner being the way you carry yourself, interact with others, etc.

All the time we know people who look great in pictures but fail to impress in person, and vice versa.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always said take a man of brad pitts stature in just a plin t-shirt and jeans and stand him next to a guy who kind of looks like steve bushimi in a nice tailored suit, and I will always go for the latter. For me I say the better dressed you are teh more appealing or attractive you will appear, at least to me anyways.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads