• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barry Bonds one back of Bambino

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaron WAS great. No denying it. He just wasn't as great as Mays. No one is. Yet.

As for Bonds' personality, I don't really care. I don't have to deal with him. I just think a lot has to do with the fact that he's not all that nice to the media. So, they are the ones who write the stories. Ah, the power of the pen!
smile.gif

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
Aaron WAS great. No denying it. He just wasn't as great as Mays. No one is. Yet.

As for Bonds' personality, I don't really care. I don't have to deal with him. I just think a lot has to do with the fact that he's not all that nice to the media. So, they are the ones who write the stories. Ah, the power of the pen!
smile.gif

I agree on all counts. another guy I liked, Willie Stargell(?)
I saw my first ML home run by him in St. Louis. funky wind up twich with his arm, then he nailed it!

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Oi, here comes the standard issue nostalgia. Better than Mays: Ruth, Bonds, Mantle, DiMaggio, Cobb, Gehrig, and Pujols is well on his way. That's just the hitters!

I don't do humble opinions about baseball
wink.gif

Tom

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a child I saw Willie Mays play at Seals' Stadium in 1958 and 1959. He just made it appear so effortless, even when he hustled. One of the most amazing plays I've ever seen was an inside-the-park grand slam by Mays in the then new Candlestick Park. Memories fade, but I think that hit was against the Phillies in the same year the Giants played the Yankees in the World Series, 1962.

In those days, many of the players took off-season jobs to make ends meet. Willie's godchild doesn't know that side of life.
frown.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
In those days, many of the players took off-season jobs to make ends meet. Willie's godchild doesn't know that side of life.
frown.gif

Why is that sad?

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Why is that sad?

The frown indicates my sympathies to the opinion of many that Mr. Bonds may have long ago lost touch with the world populated by most of baseball’s fans. Although baseball is not a static sport by any means, communications technology and the forced developmental dynamics of the players put fellows like Mr. Bonds and baseball fans in equally difficult positions today. Like most sports, baseball has morphed in order to maintain its economic viability.

For better or worse, today’s players have no place to hide. Celebrity has a different price these days. Tickets have a different price as well. I have some sympathy for the players as well as the fans. The sport cannot go back in time. I suspect the consensus opinion of Mr. Bonds would be generally less controversial, but every bit as high, if Mr. Bonds were playing alongside Mr. Mays.

howbah

Reaction score
I just think a lot has to do with the fact that he's not all that nice to the media. So, they are the ones who write the stories. Ah, the power of the pen!
smile.gif

"Roger Maris Syndrome."

I do think the game was more enjoyable back when the players made good money - doctor/lawyer money, I certainly wouldn't begrudge them that - rather than Hollywood megastar money.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd say Ruth best of all time, Mays a close second, Bonds third*.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
You are of course entitled to your opinion but I believe the consensus is that Bonds is the best player of all time.

Being a native and going to games with plenty of old-timers, I can say that most of them think that Bonds is better than Mays was. They generally love Mays and hate Bonds, but the opinions on quality are pretty much the same up and down the line.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Being a native and going to games with plenty of old-timers, I can say that most of them think that Bonds is better than Mays was. They generally love Mays and hate Bonds, but the opinions on quality are pretty much the same up and down the line.

Hitter, or overall player?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm one of those who believes that winning championships is part of what makes someone the best, not just their individual stats ot their natural talent.

Only when the stars align do you get both. That's why they call Gretzky "The Great One." IMHO, Bonds and Gretzky don't belong in the same pantheon or conversation.

Look at the list for other sports

BB: Jordan/Bird/Magic
Football: Montana/Jim Brown/Elway
Hockey: Gretzky
Baseball: Ruth/Damaggio/Mantle (and I hate the Yankees)

Does Bonds really belong anywhere near these guys? I think not.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Hitter, or overall player?

I think that the prevailing opinion is that he WAS as good a left fielder as Mays was a center fielder. He no longer is, but in his prime he was unreal. He might not have been the baserunner that Mays was, but he was a much better base stealer. He is a good bit better hitter than Mays was. I think overally it is bonds by a hair.

Andrew-

I think that baseball is exempt from your argument. Sometimes your team just sucks.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Andrew-

I think that baseball is exempt from your argument. Sometimes your team just sucks.

What about the Bulls? Are they even a .500 without Jordan? The Giants/Pirates would have probably won about the same number of games with or without Barry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads