• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B.Nelson does a great job

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All joking aside if jolly ol saint Nick n I never patch things up that's understandable, but I know I wasn't wrong to doublecheck on his charges given what I've read on here. It's not fair business to charge someone more just because I made a bad first impression with my naivety asking if I could put trubalance on a pair of wingtips (thought it'd look cool). I can't be the first prospective customer to ask a dumb ass question. If I hadn't read that Alden only lays down the last the shoe originally came with I'd have already gone to them. It's just a standard ass pair of 903's. It's always black on black on black with the standard Aldens and just wanted to get a little level action in the heel and some new white stitching. I guess I'll start harassing Alden about it or ask for Alden harassment success stories in the Alden thread.

You may have explained this, but when the guy asked you to call, why didn't you just call?

float

Reaction score
I don't hard wear anything. I've never actually had anything resoled before. The shoes I wanted resoled I bought used in the first place which is why they needed to be resoled. I didn't see what calling in would accomplish when I need pictures for reference to better understand what we're talking about and what I actually want. I didn't want to jump on the horn, feel pressured to say "OK" to something I wasn't positive on then blame Nick when the shoes I got back weren't what I had in mind exactly. I still believe that's a fair excuse to try and hammer it out over email, attaching pictures along the way which is what we did. He seemed to already have a problem with this method though before he gave me the price quotes so for him to charge me on something he doesn't (always) charge others for seems to make sense. Going by his description of replacing welts as needed, I wonder if I'd just sent them in and not called attention to it if he'd have done it anyway rather than discuss it in detail through email.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've never actually had anything resoled before. The shoes I wanted resoled I bought used in the first place which is why they needed to be resoled.

explain, how did you know that? you yourself said this is a new territory for you. not to CSI you, but your chain of arguments is not reliable for anyone who is familiar with maintenance of shoes. back to the start, please.

float

Reaction score
They need to be resoled because they look like **** on the bottom, while they're not nearing any holes I doubt the people here that have had shoes resoled 10 times have done enough walking to actually need 10 resoled shoes in their lives. I figured it'd be worth resoling them as there's already obvious milage on them and that I could also have them fit my own aesthetic better by changing up the colorway in the process. If you're asking me to walk myself through the explanation of why the welts don't need to be changed and therefore wouldn't fall under his all inclusive policy, my opinion differs because changing out for a brand new tan sole and leaving the ratty looking faded black welt wouldn't look good and should be changed out if you care anything about the appearance of your shoes (and we all do) as much as their function.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have much to learn grasshopper. Resole your shoes when they are spongy to the touch, not when they have holes. Where do you think the welt is on your shoes? I'm not sure you understand these terms.

Last edited:

float

Reaction score
The welt is the stitching around the sole is it not? I'm not really embarrassed to admit that I do have a lot to learn, which is exactly why I expressed the need to communicate through email to him so I could better understand the process and the options. Putting me on the phone with him so he could fast talk me to save himself the time of returning my emails wasn't going to do me any favors.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The welt is the stitching around the sole is it not? .

No, it is not, if you mean the bottom of the sole. How would you re-sole it without replacing that stitching? Maybe if you had called him, as requested, you could have had this explained to you. Have you looked at the re-soling pics in this thread? You are the customer from hell and refuse to recognize it.

Last edited:

float

Reaction score
Huh

Hey man take a look at these and tell me what the name of the white stitching on these are called http://imgur.com/pdg7m that stitching is what I was worried about as mine are stained black and they needed to be changed out to white to go with the new sole. Since Nick was way too ******* busy to explain the anatomy to me and I'm glad to have this forum and more specifically this thread to hold my soft white hand along the way. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Huh
Hey man take a look at these and tell me what the name of the white stitching on these are called http://imgur.com/pdg7m that stitching is what I was worried about as mine are stained black and they needed to be changed out to white to go with the new sole. Since Nick was way too ******* busy to explain the anatomy to me and I'm glad to have this forum and more specifically this thread to hold my soft white hand along the way. Thanks in advance

what you asked for is not part of the default resole procedure. period.

and you're right it is not worth on a second hand pair of shoes. the opposite. it's like pulling the engine, when you just change the tires. anyway.

this costs extra at any place in the world, i'm aware of.

i wouldn't recommend it. this part is not meant to be replaced for fun - change of colour - it's a substantial intervention, with some risks included, anyway. this risks needs to be compensated.

pick your phone. speak to nick and work it out. nothing else matters.

no need to thank me.

float

Reaction score
See I'm still not completely sure that you or whoever else has invested time in this understands what I asked for. And again I think with each post I further make my case that picking up the telephone would not do any good in my situation as I don't know what we're ******* talking about. There's no sudden clarity to be gained over the phone without visuals. This is the shoe:

I wanted a tan sole and heel over the all black, that would leave the black stitching above which would not look good in my opinion and wanted white stitching. Are you saying that doesn't regularly get changed? And again if that stitching is not the "welt" what is it called?

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

See I'm still not completely sure that you or whoever else has invested time in this understands what I asked for. And again I think with each post I further make my case that picking up the telephone would not do any good in my situation as I don't know what we're ******* talking about. There's no sudden clarity to be gained over the phone without visuals. This is the shoe:

I wanted a tan sole and heel over the all black, that would leave the black stitching above which would not look good in my opinion and wanted white stitching.
Are you saying that doesn't regularly get changed?
And again if that stitching is not the "welt" what is it called?

exactly. go from there. you've been quoted correctly. accept it or let it go. every shoe repair place, i'm aware of will tell you the same. period.

can we for the sake of st. crispin agree on this? can we? jfyi, no is not the correct answer, capiche?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dealt with B. Nelson a few weeks ago in person, service was great and the workmanship was good. If they were my local option I'd have all my shoes done there

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tell me what that stitching is called in cobbler terms and I'll see myself out.

my mother tongue is german and it is called "Rahmennaht". pm fellow member bengal-stripe he knows the cobbler term for sure or pick up the d.mned phone. mr. nick v. knows the term either, otherwise he couldn't have quoted you correctly, already. have i made my standpoint clear enough??? this is meanwhile really egregious. everyone wants to help you and you cannot stop messing around with us...

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score

Tell me what that stitching is called in cobbler terms and I'll see myself out.
The stitching is what holds the sole to the welt! Thus, you see stitching on top of the welt, at times, but the stitching is not the welt.
A welt is a strip of leather, rubber, or plastic that is stitched to the upper and insole of a shoe, as an attach-point for the sole. The space enclosed by the welt is then filled with cork or some other filler material (usually either porous or perforated, for breathability), and the outsole is both cemented and stitched to the welt. This process of making shoes is referred to as Goodyear welt construction, as the machinery used for the process was invented in 1869 by Charles Goodyear, Jr. the son of Charles Goodyear.[1] Shoes with other types of construction may also have welts for finished appearance, but they generally serve little or no structural purpose.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads