• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B.Nelson does a great job

float

Reaction score
If you, a seasoned shoe resole veteran doesn't know what its called why the hell am I supposed to know??? I've always assosicated that **** with the sole because it looks like thats what's holding the god damn thing on....I figured it'd be pretty standard to restring that **** up holmes.....if I was absolutely mistaken, Nick could have said that than fire back the opposite of a real explanation and give me an exclamation point driven "THIS IS CUSTOM!" Even if he didn't misquote me why he didn't think it was worth his time to just explain essentially what you've told me is just ****** ass CS I don't care how you slice it. I'm not the "customer from hell" I'm a god damn ******* gentleman don't you ever tell me otherwise. I gotta get my 6 miles in if anyone wants to add me on nikeplus send me a PM....I'll be running in these boring ass wingtips to further the urgency of a resoling. **** you mother-F***ers. Alright man enjoy those brick red rubber soles on your english dress shoes. Nick I'll await that apology in PM and if you change your mind and can change that mystery stitching out for me without the extra charge let's do business man. Sorry for the misunderstanding lata

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you, a seasoned shoe resole veteran doesn't know what its called why the hell am I supposed to know??? I've always assosicated that **** with the sole because it looks like thats what's holding the god damn thing on....I figured it'd be pretty standard to restring that **** up holmes.....if I was absolutely mistaken, Nick could have said that than fire back the opposite of a real explanation and give me an exclamation point driven "THIS IS CUSTOM!" Even if he didn't misquote me why he didn't think it was worth his time to just explain essentially what you've told me is just ****** ass CS I don't care how you slice it. I'm not the "customer from hell" I'm a god damn ******* gentleman don't you ever tell me otherwise. I gotta get my 6 miles in if anyone wants to add me on nikeplus send me a PM....I'll be running in these boring ass wingtips to further the urgency of a resoling. **** you mother-F***ers. Alright man enjoy those brick red rubber soles on your english dress shoes. Nick I'll await that apology in PM and if you change your mind and can change that mystery stitching out for me without the extra charge let's do business man. Sorry for the misunderstanding lata

^^^ Angry, but admittedly funny.

stormwelt.jpg

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
I think I like your photo of the welt better than mine, but between the two he should now have a good idea, at least one would think?

float

Reaction score
Fellas Nick the ******* legend himself even referred to what I'm referring to as the "top of the welt" so I apologize wholeheartedly if confused the lot of you. Please don't spit on me and step on ******* while I'm down I don't even know what I'm doing hangin out in this thread still.

Nick if you can accept my ignorance and bratty ass motherfucking demeanor and can make my soles look just like these http://i.imgur.com/dIVaw.png I will rain $200 upon you so fast you'll ask if I want those stupid ass metal toe tap things on the front with that. You can even wipe your ass with my shoe before you mail them back to me and I'd be none the wiser. Consider it I'm a young guy.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I like your photo of the welt better than mine, but between the two he should now have a good idea, at least one would think?

Heh. I think he's confusing the welt stitch with the welt.

float, why don't you just sand off the black finish? There are several threads on the forum that detail this method. Not ideal, and you will lose some water resistance, but it is an economical way to get the effect you desire.

float

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip man but that just seems like more effort and potential risk than these are worth. These wingtips are not my dream dress shoe and I'm an indy/russell mocc guy most days. I just thought this was the most inventive way to turn a boring pair of shoes into something the Alden thread would give me high fives for. Nick seems capable but the good ass fun aside I'm still surprised he had such a short fuse with me. I just half seriously agreed to the charge a post up if he wants to be a class act and take my business despite the last 2 pages of trash but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:

habanos

Reaction score
I don't know why some posters slam Nick. He seems like a nice guy and I am sure he will resolve any problems you may have had. I plan on trying him in the future myself

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the tip man but that just seems like more effort and potential risk than these are worth. These wingtips are not my dream dress shoe and I'm an indy/russell mocc guy most days. I just thought this was the most inventive way to turn a boring pair of shoes into something the Alden thread would give me high fives for. Nick seems capable but the good ass fun aside I'm still surprised he had such a short fuse with me. I just half seriously agreed to the charge a post up if he wants to be a class act and take my business despite the last 2 pages of trash but I won't hold my breath.

Just in case you change your mind.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/247209/diy-cobbler-ing-changing-sole-edge-color

I'm sure you can get a local cobbler to do this for cheap. He/she can even seal the sole edges correctly.

In all seriousness, your shoes may not need a resole. Not sure if you care about this particular pair of shoes, but there are a finite number of resoles you can easily perform on a given shoe.

float

Reaction score

Just in case you change your mind.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/247209/diy-cobbler-ing-changing-sole-edge-color
I'm sure you can get a local cobbler to do this for cheap. He/she can even seal the sole edges correctly.
In all seriousness, your shoes may not need a resole. Not sure if you care about this particular pair of shoes, but there are a finite number of resoles you can easily perform on a given shoe.

That's really cool actually but I'm just a ****-up with my hands generally. Nick can I buy you lunch if you'll save me the elbow grease and do this for me? How does Sbarros sound

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for a local cobbler. There's a good chance you can find a local vendor who can accommodate your needs and do a fine job.

float

Reaction score
It's an option but my offer of $200 still stands to Nick. The uppers need not much but a little love and wanted to see him wipe those scuffs out in addition. I'm ready to become a believer. Maybe we'll start a petition within the thread into forcing a change of heart for the benefit of all and we'll all just get down in this thread like a bunch of dudes and slap hands and get happy.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have an old high school friend who is a nice guy, but cheap as all ****, and also fairly stupid. Not book stupid, but stupid in that he has no common sense whatsoever. Stupid in the "I'm lactose intolerant, but maybe drinking an increasing amount of milk every day will slowly build a tolerance, like with drugs" kind of way. (Those were his actual words).

Anyhow, this friend -- whom we shall call Mike -- once bought a horrendously ugly, used Honda Accord in what can best be described as sea foam green. His thinking was that he'd buy the cheap beater in sea foam, get it repainted black, get a "bitchin'" spoiler, get a high-end leather interior, get a custom sound system, get an entirely new engine (!), somehow (magically?) get a new on-board computer and wiring installed, etc., and basically custom-rig this hoopty into a reasonable facsimile of a brand new 911 Turbo.

Mike was pissed when the local body shop tried to explain to him that his desired repairs -- even the ones vaguely within the realm of possibility, which were a minority of his requests -- would cost a lot more than the car was worth. Especially the repainting. I had the pleasure of overhearing one of his calls.

"Why do you need to take the car apart to repaint it? I don't get it," he said.

When they offered an explanation, he replied with "I don't care if that's how the job should be done right. I just want it done my way."

At this point, I assume they told him that they were uncomfortable doing a half-assed job, even per his request, because he replied with the ironically brilliant "I don't care. Just half-ass it if you need to. But make it look perfect."

I actually asked him to end his conversation with the shop, because he was embarrassing himself, and he was going to get nowhere. What he was asking was idiotic, because his "plan" was inherently flawed in the firsf place.

"Well, I figured I'd buy an ugly color, get it repainted black, and save a few bucks in the process. What's the harm in that?"

"Do you have any idea what's involved with repainting a car?"

"No. What do I look like, a mechanic?"

"No," I told him. "You look like a guy who'd better get used to driving a sea foam green Accord."

The color kind of suits him, and in some ways, he's grown into it over the years.

Last edited:

float

Reaction score
Jackie that would've been a seething post like a page ago. We're all resolved over here. Nice avatar man. Cool tv show.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Jackie that would've been a seething post like a page ago. We're all resolved over here. Nice avatar man. Cool tv show.

I dunno, the story still seems pretty apropos.

But I wish you the best of luck in reaching your resolution.

float

Reaction score
And there's nothing wrong with these old wings....they're handsome shoes and with a mug like mine and a build to boot I really can't complain....here's a picture of them on my feet from a few years ago when I first came into them....the nutcrackers came with the house

I just can't help but consider their unrealized potential. Not enough dudes are getting interesting with black shoes. I've avoided them because of it. This was going to be a breakout pair with the help of Nick's sage craftsmanship. Let's make this happen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics