• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a very versatile jacket. Not saying you shouldn't buy it but beware the cotton/linen fabric makes it a summer only proposition. The creasing in the fabric means it won't go with a pair of grey flannel pants, if that's the look your're after. It's already starting to crease in the arms after being worn by the model...
You could get away with it as weekend wear with a pair of cotton chinos and an open necked shirt in summer but I'd advise you against wearing it as a "city" jacket, or pairing it with warmer fabrics in general.

Can always go with a pair of jeans and rugged boots and a thin jumper or cardigan.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

any thoughts on this as an odd jacket? 
http://www.mrporter.com/product/178112

Its ok depending what you are after. I like the slightly swelled edges, patch pockets and unlined.

First up its around $330aud. I dunno what postage is.

With linen /cotton its a summer/spring jacket tending toward casual.

I don't know what your monitor shows you but to me there too much grey in the colour - not light blue enough to be attractive and not navy enough to be dressier.

Might work as a casual suit if you got the matching pants. And wearing as a suit the short jacket length might be ameliorated.

To me the biggest problem is length. Its always hard to tell on models because clothes are pinned, and generally arranged to look good. But this looks to be somewhere between 3"- 5" too short. The jacket hem seems to only reach to well above his wrists. If you take thumb knuckle as a rough guide to length depending on you preferences then its a real bum freezer. Even if you like shorter jackets - its a bum freezer.

For that $$ you could do better.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have a link to the mirror shine technique mentioned a few weeks ago? Christian from Herringbones one? Can't find it. Thanks

Its basically spit, or for the squeamish modern boys- water, and a small bit of polish and lots of elbow grease. Rubbing in circles with finger in rag.

Search spit polish, bulling or parade ground polish.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have a link to the mirror shine technique mentioned a few weeks ago? Christian from Herringbones one? Can't find it. Thanks

Go off this post by Charlie

http://charlieswardrobe.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/no-bull-advanced-shoe-polishing-101.html

Bulling, or spit shining is not for those short of patience. It takes time, effort, technique and a fair bit of elbow grease. You should never do the whole shoe, just the toes and heels if you must, though I do just the toes. From go to whoa, the whole process will take a couple of hours for 1 pair of shoes. Best to sit back with a glass of scotch or red and embrace it. In fact I'm doing a pair in between writing this.

To break it down
- Take the laces and shoe trees out
- Give them a condition with a good quality leather conditioner first (saphir if your a real polish snob)
- Do a base polish with a horsehair brush first to give a good all over general shine.
- Spit (real spit) works much better in my opinion than both water and champagne.
- You need to do about 4-5 coats min. of bulling to get a really good shine
- You'll mess it up the first few times so don't stress
- Between wears, give them a quick brush to remove scuffs. I do this when I take them off at the end of the day.

For actual technique, I can't recommend the following link enough. I had read many different ways to do it and this was the first that really worked for me.

http://www.cadetstuff.org/archives/000200.html

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go off this post by Charlie
http://charlieswardrobe.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/no-bull-advanced-shoe-polishing-101.html
Bulling, or spit shining is not for those short of patience. It takes time, effort, technique and a fair bit of elbow grease. You should never do the whole shoe, just the toes and heels if you must, though I do just the toes. From go to whoa, the whole process will take a couple of hours for 1 pair of shoes. Best to sit back with a glass of scotch or red and embrace it. In fact I'm doing a pair in between writing this.
To break it down
- Take the laces and shoe trees out
- Give them a condition with a good quality leather conditioner first (saphir if your a real polish snob)
- Do a base polish with a horsehair brush first to give a good all over general shine.
- Spit (real spit) works much better in my opinion than both water and champagne.
- You need to do about 4-5 coats min. of bulling to get a really good shine
- You'll mess it up the first few times so don't stress
- Between wears, give them a quick brush to remove scuffs. I do this when I take them off at the end of the day.
For actual technique, I can't recommend the following link enough. I had read many different ways to do it and this was the first that really worked for me.
http://www.cadetstuff.org/archives/000200.html

Jesus that's a golden oldie.

Hi Charlie, Has there been any progress on getting enough interest in another run of the members' ties? They look terrific. Cheers mate!

We have 3 interested so far, but still need 3 more to do another run. If it was a stock fabric it would be a piece of cake.

Serenity

Reaction score
hey oz people! I'm going to melbourne in august. can someone let me know where to get lanvin, apc, common projects at conservative business dress ?

Last edited:

fox81

Reaction score

Interesting. Can see the mutual benefit. HB potentially get people under 60 into the store at non-sale times and BMT get conservative business dress exposure.

its a shame that beggar man thiefs offering are a bit in the 'budget' end english shoe makers. while loake is not entirely out of place in HBs, those cheaper grensons are. hopefully this gives them the justification to stock a few more higher end makes/lines. the stores that are doing C&J at competitive prices arent specialty shoe stores, so i think there is a gap there.

fox81

Reaction score

hey oz people! I'm going to melbourne in august. can someone let me know where to get lanvin, apc, common projects at conservative business dress ?

you read too many blogs, but incu do apc jeans. i think harrolds do lanvin. i think the chiodo store does common projects. youd probably want to visit cose plus and cose inpanema (or whatever the variation of the name is now) by the sounds of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics