1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catpower

catpower Active Member

If you want to avoi[FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif]d Luxxotica, I highly recommend Modo eyewear. Based and designed in New York, made in Japan. With my ridiculous prescription, I need glasses and demand a lot of them. My current Modo frames have been through everything from being dropped countless times and slept on to a particularly hairy experience at the beach where I lost them as I went under a wave. Yep. Rookie error. But there they were, lodged in the seabed when we found them 15 minutes later. Safe to say I have a soft spot for them. [/FONT]

2. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

I've been wearing some Randolph Engineering square aviators for a couple of years. Tough as nails and they look pretty sharp.

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Hey TBM, just answering the question: " Given the amount of credit given to PJ i'm assuming this is wrong?".

Yes, this is wrong [​IMG]

4. Romp

Romp Senior member

i met michael - nice guy, great business models. wish him every success.

5. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I have some REs as well. They sure are built to last.

Buying from Luxxotica doesn't bother me at all. If they are selling stuff that looks good and you can get them at the right price that's all that matters (assuming they aren't behaving in an unethical way).

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I've seen Illesteva in a couple of trendy shops in Sydney recently. Not sure if these are Luxottica (NY co. apparently but frames are either "made in France" or "made in Italy") but they are similar style and quality to C+G, Oliver Peoples etc.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  8. Romp

Romp Senior member

the clear smoked plastic frames look sweet

9. Romp

Romp Senior member

love the long wings -i think ill get some.. what size? (i think we have same size) barrie last?

10. Prince of Paisley

There was a good piece on Luxottica in a recent British documentary - Inside the Megabrands I think it was called. They did a tour of the factory where they make glasses for all the different brands.

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Who cares as long as the frames are to your liking and are made well.

12. Prince of Paisley

I agree but I think it's still interesting to know where things come from and how they are made.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

I was trying to remember the title of that series - it was a good, if a bit shallow, look at the whole branding thing.

iirc it showed that not only are most of the glasses /frames are made the same factory but are actually made at the same bench by the same people on a different shift depending on demand.

My objection to the monopoly of Luxottica is based on the fact that many many people, most of those over 45 yo and a majority of people with an asian background, require glasses to read, many older persons require glasses to function effectively in everyday life and do normal things like cook, and walk without falling over. The extortionate price of glasses, which mostly are just bits of cheap plastic, results in preventably hospitalisation and a distinctly deficient life.

Have I done anything to change it other than rant about it on a menswear forum? - Yes at federal, state and local levels. (Its why I know, at least on this, what I'm taking about)

Is it all Luxottica's fault - no.

Do I care if a mob of people who can afford it pay over the odds for bits of plastic - no.

Do I like to make people aware of boring factual information rather than mythology or marketing hype - yup.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    2 people like this.
  14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1 to fxh's comments.

The price of prescription eyewear and sunglasses in Australia is largely outrageous and, to be frank, I also disagree with the insistence of optometrists that you must "renew" your prescription every twelve months. Certainly, whilst some people's eyes change, other people have very stable, albeit deficient, vision and have no need of a yearly examination.

Thankfully, the past few years have seen a few, cheaper places emerge, such as places to get prescription glasses in Big W. I'm not sure how expensive they are, but I'm sure that they are cheaper than the sky-high prices for frames charged by OPSM, Laubman & Pank and all of the other places owned by Luxottica.

Personally, I get my glasses in Japan, in a chain of stores named "Jin's Global Standard". They source most of their frames from Korea, although they also stock some that are made in Japan. Frame prices in aluminium or acetate start from Y4000 (about $50), and "normal" prescription lenses are very cheap, such that most pairs of glasses cost between $80 to $120 in total. You choose your frame, hand over your current glasses so that they can scan the lens to get your prescription, and thirty minutes later you walk out with a new pair of glasses.

Of course, I know that Japan has a much greater population density than Australia and thus there are many more potential customers there, but it still frustrates me that we pay so much for glasses here. Of course, we pay much more in Australia compared to most other countries for a great many things, including most of our clothing, so I suppose that paying extortionate amounts for eyeglasses shouldn't surprise me!

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Here are some photos of today's outfit - I had been thinking of wearing a maroon grenadine tie and a sky blue pocket square with white edging, but decided to be a bit "brighter" at the last minute:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details:

- Herringbone jacket - actually part of a suit - in a blue PoW check with a brick red overcheck. Interestingly, the jacket only has one button;
    - Deer Style shirt in a sky blue, royal oxford cloth;
    - Ascot knit tie in brick red;
    - Vanda pocket square;
    - RL Polo grey nailhead trousers; and
    - Loake "Strand" Adelaide-throat balmorals in burgundy.

16. ZirconiumZephyr

ZirconiumZephyr Well-Known Member

I gave their "Try and Home" program a go but was very unimpressed by the frames quality :( Maybe somebody can speak to the longevity of their frames but they just felt cheap and tacky to me.....

17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

The question of renewing your prescription is a some what vexed issue. People with myopia do not stabilise their eye sight and it changes a lot i know that in my early twenties I had to change them once every 18 months or so to improve my vision. But that said people with eye sight issues don't fit one easy model.

The price of prescription lenses has gone through the roof in the last ten years, I noticed they started to increase with the introduction of high index plastic lenses I use nikon lite lenses and in the past four years they have gone from around $300 $400 I am at -7.

Mind you I have been lucky the past few years in that my eyes have stabilised and have not declined anymore and according to my optometrist they should at last stabilise, but lets face facts acetate frames deteriorate faster than titanium or gold frames. Which is a pain.

Personally I am in favour of a yearly check particularly now a lot of places throwing in the digital retina check as part of the service, the most annoying thing though is a succession of Governments have refused to reclassify laser surgery from its current status as cosmetic. :foo: Which puts the cost out of most peoples range but for me its too late in the day to go down that path.

PS Journeyman Nice Tie!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  18. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

I've always wanted me some Tart Arnell frames; and doing movember.
    EDIT
    Guys just saw that the armoury was selling their denim on their website and as I haven't bought those 3-sixteens and am wondering whether I should buy those (wife said I could get them if I was ok with no getting new shoes for 6 months :p) and go behind my wife's back.....she's in good mood because she and her friends went thrifting and she found a pair of louboutin's [​IMG] (can virtually do what I want for the next 3 days)

19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1 good point.

I will be trying Big W next time I need a new prescription. As journeyman states, they have to be cheaper than OPSM et al.

20. sliq

sliq Senior member

that sight would've been gold [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.