• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calf, or shell cordovan?

If cordovan, then I'd say yes. If calf, then I'd say that I, personally, would prefer the boot to be in a grain leather.
Saddle shell. I have seen three different photos of the same shoe, capturing the color in different shades under different lighting conditions. The actual color is more towards mid-brown, like the color of the captoes in the picture. My hope is that, barring any major changes in feet size, that this pair of shoes will last forever. Prices for shell cordovan probably will have to rise steeply in the coming years, if at all obtainable.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: All three are probably actually pretty representative of Carmina's saddle shell. Everyone outside of Alden seems to have a huge variance in what they receive from Horween from batch to batch with the same name, hop over the Vass thread for some more examples.

As far as the boots are concerned, what are you wanting them for? Carmina will make better boots for wear with suits, et al, but if you're wanting them for wear with jeans, etc, they'll do nicely.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that sort of a boot, I agree with Journeyman in that I'd personally prefer something with a bit of texture:
http://www.howardyount.com/products/cognac-pebble-grain-brogue-boots

To me, the height and colour of the boot says casual. But the plain cap toe and lack of broguing says formal. So it's a bit in that weird in between space (maybe that's what you're looking for!).

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All three are probably actually pretty representative of Carmina's saddle shell. Everyone outside of Alden seems to have a huge variance in what they receive from Horween from batch to batch with the same name, hop over the Vass thread for some more examples.

As far as the boots are concerned, what are you wanting them for? Carmina will make better boots for wear with suits, et al, but if you're wanting them for wear with jeans, etc, they'll do nicely.
Well, I was thinking of using the boots for anything other than conservative business dress. They can go with grey suits, flannels/SC combo, chinos, jeans, etc. Also for rainy weather wear (all of 5 days per year in Sydney I think).

I already have a pebble grain boot with commando sole, which has done heavy duty for several years during trips to HK or Paris. Lots of walking daily, in rain and in snow. The leather did not really age gracefully (probably quality related issues) but the usual maintenance gets it back to tiptop shape, despite exposure to salt, snow, moisture from repeated wears, etc. Hoping that the care regime for the shell will be less involved.

lukejackson

Reaction score
n

Sorry for crap pic. but worth checking out for a jumper you dont have to worry about ruining, just got one in brown, they come in navy too, pure wool, 20 bucks at aldi. not bad.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Petepan, those boots are lovely. Is this the Carmina Oscar last? If so, it's the perfect last for that style of boot. I have them in Cognac shell cordovan and they are absolutely the dope. I wear them in all situations - with jeans, with suits, and everything in between.

Just be aware that shell doesn't always respond to rain the way its "supposed" to. It can get weird watermarks on it which don't always fade. I got my boots absolutely sopping wet by riding a motorbike in pouring rain. Dried them out slowly and carefully, and they largely recovered, but on closer inspection there are some stains which haven't come out, despite polishing with a deerbone and Saphir cordovan cream.

You might also consider having them made with a rubberised sole and storm welting.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
n

Sorry for crap pic. but worth checking out for a jumper you dont have to worry about ruining, just got one in brown, they come in navy too, pure wool, 20 bucks at aldi. not bad.
What a handsome chap you are. And ripped too.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Missing Doc already...the 80s were pretty good fun listening to these blokes.

Bondi Lifesavers, The Trade Union Club, the Manzil Room, French's, Bombay Rock, the Crystal Ballroom such cesspits and dens of iniquity are now only to be found in late night alcohol induced revelies of a distant age as your teen age children yell at you to turn the music down.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Don't forget the Graphic Arts, the Phoenician, Selinas, the San Miguel...

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Petepan, those boots are lovely. Is this the Carmina Oscar last? If so, it's the perfect last for that style of boot. I have them in Cognac shell cordovan and they are absolutely the dope. I wear them in all situations - with jeans, with suits, and everything in between.

Just be aware that shell doesn't always respond to rain the way its "supposed" to. It can get weird watermarks on it which don't always fade. I got my boots absolutely sopping wet by riding a motorbike in pouring rain. Dried them out slowly and carefully, and they largely recovered, but on closer inspection there are some stains which haven't come out, despite polishing with a deerbone and Saphir cordovan cream.

You might also consider having them made with a rubberised sole and storm welting.

Thanks Cox. Cognac shell- I think these might be the ones (photo stolen from Gerry Nelson)

tumblr_miah3316E31rrw9tuo5_r1_250.jpg

The saddle shell boot is in Oscar last. I have been told it is very similar to the Soller last, so it should fit fine, if not a big more snug. It is not MTO, just RTW, so no storm welting, and comes in IMO the worse possible sole, dainite. Absolutely useless in heavy rain or snow. Eventually, several years down the line, I will need to send them back to Carmina to refurbish with JR soles.

I have noticed the rain spots on my other shell shoes. Have you tried Renovateur and then brushing like a madman? Worked for me. The spots did not completely go away initially, but continual repeated brushing between wears did the trick.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Petepan, my jumper boots are also shod in Dainite. Not sure why this sole gets so much hate. How is it useless in heavy rain? OK, it's a tiny bit slippery at times - that's the only drawback I see.

I say go for it. I'm sure you will learn to love your Dainite soles (and they look really cool too).

Here are some pics of mine, which came out of a group MTO with Skoaktiebolaget I orchestrated last year.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Petepan, my jumper boots are also shod in Dainite. Not sure why this sole gets so much hate. How is it useless in heavy rain? OK, it's a tiny bit slippery at times - that's the only drawback I see.

I say go for it. I'm sure you will learn to love your Dainite soles (and they look really cool too).

Here are some pics of mine, which came out of a group MTO with Skoaktiebolaget I orchestrated last year.

Thanks for the pics. Gee, that's a nice last, much nicer than I imagined, and looks better than all the photos I have seen on the net. Looks pretty well worn too, not mothered to death like the shoes you see in other SF threads.

BTW, deets on the jacket, if you may.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Cox. Cognac shell- I think these might be the ones (photo stolen from Gerry Nelson)

Don't just steal the photo. Garry has enough shoes - just steal the boots too, he won't notice.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't just steal the photo. Garry has enough shoes - just steal the boots too, he won't notice.
I have been trying to nick his Lindricks for ages. Kinda difficult to hack the safe-combination to the vault....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads