1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flexiflex

flexiflex Active Member

Does anyone know if Doublemonk in Sydney Strand Arcade stocks any accessories, such as metal toe tip?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. flexiflex

flexiflex Active Member

In average, how long does it take to properly shine and polish a pair of shoes? It takes me more than 2 hours and I am thinking I am spending too much time due to my skill level.

When do you feel you need to strip the wax (I am using Renomat) and start over again?

Last time I did my C&J Sydney loafer. I think I put too much wax, so the creased areas have some residual white patches. I am wondering if I need to strip the whole shoes and start again.

Also do you guys polish the sole? I saw Ethan does that. I usually just apply mink oil. I recently bought a product called Burgol Sole conditioner. let just say I won't recommend it...

Lastly, is there any place in Australia that offers patina service?

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Now if only I could remember where I left my keys...

2 people like this.
  4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

No.

1 person likes this.
  5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

What sort of metal toe taps are you talking about?

If you're talking about the flush toe taps that you sometimes see on more expensive shoes, then there's little point in purchasing them because, as far as I am aware, no-one in Sydney is willing to fit them for you.

If you're talking about the regular little crescent-shaped toe taps, then pretty much any cobbler will fit them for you. If they're fitted to the tip of the shoe, they work just as well as the flush toe taps - they just don't look as nice. Then again, who else except you is going to be looking at the bottom of your shoes.

I'm not very good at shining shoes, so I just aim for a "glow" rather than the very shiny, glacage finish.

Don't use Renomat on C&J shoes. Renomat is not suited to all leather types and C&J do not recommend it for their shoes as you can strip the finish of the leather with it.

I have pairs of C&Js that are a decade or more old and I have never felt the need to strip them back. I'd just give them a good brushing to get rid of any excess polish.

Personally, I'd never polish the soles of my shoes. Don't forget that Ethan works in the menswear industry, so he does things that most people on the street would never bother doing because his appearance/dress is his job. It's one thing to demonstrate it on the internet, another thing entirely to bother doing it in real life if you don't work in the menswear industry.

I don't think that there's anywhere in Australia that offers a patination service.

6. Liber

Liber Senior member

Gents, looking to purchase a s/h submariner (queue sighs and groans, "it's such a common watch doesn't he know?..."). Looking to throw away around $6.5k, I'm no ultimate horologist, though I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm after. Any other places I should search other than chrono24? I usually just get a jeweller friend to hunt things down (he attends auctions regularly etc) but this time I'd like to be involved in the process.

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You must have plenty of free time! Don't think too much of it, less is more. I don't think I've ever stripped wax off shoes and if you need to I'd say you are using way too much to begin with. 1. wipe dust/dirt with a damp cloth 2. Leather conditioner/Renovauter etc, let dry, 3. polish/wax 4. buff like a bastard until they shine. Should take 15 mins max IMO.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

It takes me about 5 mins a pair - every couple of weeks I do about 3 or 4 pair. I don't like a high gloss shine. I use Collinol mostly, Saphir occasionally.

WTF?
    Occasionally i will use conditioner or Dubbin on a very dry leather sole. Most of mine have been Topy-ied.

You can "patinise" your own.

9. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Polishing shoes - active time 5 mins, total time about 2.5 hours-4 hours

1. Wipe clean with slightly damp cloth
    2. Apply renovauter, let dry approx 15 mins
    3. Apply cream polish, let dry 1.5-3 hours (depending on temp in room)
    4. Buff with brush
    5. Apply wax
    6. Buff with slightly damp cloth
    7. Apply a small amount of repair cream on front edge of sole if scuffed, let dry

10. flexiflex

flexiflex Active Member

I always found your advice helpful JM!

I found a cobbler in Crows nest who is willing to install the flush metal taps, thats why I want to give it try and report back result.

Also, for me shoes is an art form of beauty. I know no one is going to look at the bottom of my shoes. However I hate the idea of having a subpar doggy metal thing installed in my beautiful made shoes.

Thanks also for the warning about using Renomat on C&J. Will do more research on that.

I did "patinise" a pair on my own, took many trials and errors. It sad to see no one in Australia can offer this service...
    I have been reading blogs and instructional videos and most sites recommend 3-4 layers of wax/polish. Don't know how this can be achieved within 15-20 mins...

Also I should be more specific. I am after the mirror shine on the toe cap and back quarters.

I am aiming to achieve something like this

[​IMG]

11. The Ernesto

There are videos aplenty on mirror shines.

Takes hours.

Garry Nelson is The King Of This.

12. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Mirror shine is a very different story. I think it looks awful but each to their own

2 people like this.
  13. flexiflex

flexiflex Active Member

Thanks for the confirmation. I know how to do a mirror shine, have watched plenty of videos and did few pairs of my own. Was just wondering whether spending 2 or more hours is normal... I get that some members on this forum are not a big fan. For those who are, how long does it take to do yours??

14. The Ernesto

Two hours to get it done from scratch sounds normal from what I have heard.

I don't mind it on certain types of shoes.

I'd have a crack if I had the time/inclination.

15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

That's what I said about world domination.

1 person likes this.
  16. The Ernesto

That's what you said about Jerry Hall as well, now look what's happened to poor woman.

1 person likes this.
  17. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I put mirror shines in the bucket of things that look nice in pictures/theinternet but really aren't worth doing. I have done it once before. You need to be mentally and existentially ok with the fact that you are spending 2 hours of your free time (often your weekend) buffing a shoe to make it look ok but just one sharp computer chair away from being ruined.

2 people like this.
  18. flexiflex

flexiflex Active Member

It's not too bad for me because the mirror shines usually last quite long. I also put on records and sipping whiskey whilst doing it.

Would you pay someone to do it for you? I would if you ask me. In Australia we are very behind when it comes to shoes. it is getting better I tho.

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Well, Submariners are depressingly common nowadays amongst #menswear types, it must be said!

You could use the WatchRecon site to do a search, as that collates listings from various sales fora (Timezone, Watchuseek, Rolex Forum and various others).

Also have a look at the pages of reputable sellers such as Alex Pig in HK or Kirill Yuzh at LunarOyster in the US.

Vintage Watch Co in Brisbane and Sydney also sometimes have second-hand Submariners.

In Australia, at least, the second-hand price can be very close to the new price as there's quite often a waiting list on new Submariners and so that has pushed up the price of second-hand watches.

Of course, some second-hand Submariners can also be far, far more expensive than the price of new Submariners because they have some feature that collectors value - red script on the dial, produced for military use or something else unusual or special.

If you source the watch from overseas, remember that you run the risk of having to pay GST on the total cost of importation (price of watch + shipping). I have heard, anecdotally, that some overseas sellers are willing to mark the watch as being "returned from servicing" or something similar, so as to give the impression that you already owned the watch, so that you don't have to pay anything to bring it into Australia.

1 person likes this.
  20. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That's it mate. I'd rather go fishing...

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.