1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Can't believe that one. Stevie Wright, Robert Stigwood, this year is off to a bad start.

2. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Exactly....

I'll be playin Queen Bitch, Life on Mars, Heroes tonight...

Music Icon, Fashion Icon...

3. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Anyone have any opinions on Melbourne Watch Company?

I'm putting my money down on a Tissot Visodate this weekend. Still considering the Flinders by MWC.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Creative genius with a unique and individual musical talent.

Stunned, words fail. Soo sad.

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

Didnt even know David Bowie was even sick! Thought that guy is going to live forever.

6. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

MWC started off with the owner importing the movements and other parts and putting them together at home. They were bits of knock-offs. There was a Panerai lookalike, an Archimede lookalike, etc. Fairly cheap but well put together. I bought a manual wind pilot model with an onion crown in May 2013 which is still going strong (picture below). I have worn it everywhere, including rough. In fact I am wearing it now as I type this from Coober Pedy. Shortly after that he went more sophisticated and started a new line which I think is manufactured somewhere OS - including the Flinders model. The general web feedback is good. I think they are now much better quality than the early one I bought. I think I would still go the Visodate, or preferably the Alpinist as recently modelled by Cox.

[​IMG]

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Major Tom off into the great beyond. And we never found out what shirts he wears... Ashes to ashes, dust to Stardust. RIP.

2 people like this.
  8. blahman

blahman Senior member

Are they as cool as Daniel Wellington?

1 person likes this.
  9. Johknee

Johknee Senior member

Terrible times.....

[​IMG]

10. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Sterile, so not quite.

11. Johknee

Johknee Senior member

Selling some shoes on eBay. Shoes may not be SF approved.
    All are US 10D.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  12. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Having seen Luxire mentioned a few pages back - does anyone want to provide some feedback on the process, etc (whilst I start trawling through the main thread)?

I'm in need on some new business shirts and was thinking they would be a great option to 'replicate' (based on me providing measurements) some Ascot Chang shirts I currently have which fit like a dream. I presume it's still recommended to place a trial order to get any adjustments to the fit sorted?

Also, how are the real-world turnaround times on garments?

Cheers

13. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

@smeggett, another option is Proper Cloth - I have had a good experience with them. But you'll have less control over some aspects of the shirt (collar type etc)

14. lolcoaster

lolcoaster Member

Hi guys, I'm looking a getting a few new suits. Are there any good stores in Sydney with staff that'll give good advice on the fit rather than just trying to rush you through the sale?

Budget is around $1000 for two and maybe a third if it goes well.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I think @LonerMatt can give you some tips on how to go about sending your good shirts over to be copied.

16. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Thanks @sebastian mcfox I'll check them out as I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Plain white and light blue cotton shirts, mid spread collar, barrel cuff...

17. OzWino

OzWino Senior member

Ive only done one trial shirt, but from the experience and final product I'll be ordering more.

I measured two good fitting shirts (and averaged them). I followed the instructions on their website on measuring and all went really well. Turn around was probably 3-4 week until i received the shirt. But i imagine this would be very dependant on time of the year and their workload.

Ill be making one small change to a measurement, and detail then order some more shirts. Then the next part will be some trousers (which I'm probably a little more apprehensive about).

You can also send in a shirt for replication. But I haven't had experience with this.

18. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Senior member

I assume in your case you'll be looking for off the rack with that price range. Peter Jackson has some pretty good salesmen I've dealt with before and is having a sale right now. MJ Bale have that 'two suits for $1000' thing which can save you some bucks as well

19. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Senior member

Has anyone had any experience with George & King's suits? Looking for a local MTM shop where I can actually visit the showroom

20. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Thanks OzWino - this is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.