• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice new coat HC, and you really nailed that combo IMO.

Interesting texture on that jacket too. Looks like a wool blend..?

Thanks it's beautiful, very very soft and drapes well. 95% wool and 5% cashmere.

Ah. Yeah I am.....

Sorry I meant to follow up on this and ran out of time. In a former life I was the head of sales for 5 years at a company called Bottles of Australia (BoA), Australia's biggest sports bottle manufacturer, make for Asics, Adidas etc etc. Anyway, I'm only telling you that so you know that I know what I'm talking about.

These bottles, and the ones they use for bottled water etc aren't designed for multi use. Reason being that landfills all over the world are filling up with them and they used to take 20 years or so to break down. So now they but special additives (which aren't harmful) in to the plastic to help it breakdown quicker and quicker. With repeated use over and over again, you'll notice the plastic get softer and squeezier, which is it starting to break down. It's got nothing to do with BPA (mostly a media hype up), which is found in very little plastic types to begin with but it can be harmful. Plastic is made from petrol after all. Best bet is to go to Rebel sport or your local bike shop and buy a plastic (or metal) one designed for repeated use, usually for as little as $8 each.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, would any members be interested in the idea of a tie swap box for Australian members?

Basically 10 ties which you would get to keep for 2 weeks then pass on to the next person that signs up. Been toying with this for a while as I have a heap of ties that are essentially new or worn a few times by me that may have sold out, may not have or may be from past seasons and I pretty much stop wearing them once they sell out or new stock comes in.

It'd be a chance to try ties out you may have wanted to but didn't want to lay the cash down in case you didn't like it (i.e people that have never worn knit ties but wanted to try one) or just generally wear some other ties than what's in your own rotation for a few weeks.

I'd be aiming for a mix of 7 folds mostly, but with some 3 folds and a few knit ties thrown in too.

There would be no cost other than postage to the next person which you would agree to send by registered post so nothing gets lost. Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll think about it more.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks it's beautiful, very very soft and drapes well. 95% wool and 5% cashmere.
Sorry I meant to follow up on this and ran out of time. In a former life I was the head of sales for 5 years at a company called Bottles of Australia (BoA), Australia's biggest sports bottle manufacturer, make for Asics, Adidas etc etc. Anyway, I'm only telling you that so you know that I know what I'm talking about.

These bottles, and the ones they use for bottled water etc aren't designed for multi use. Reason being that landfills all over the world are filling up with them and they used to take 20 years or so to break down. So now they but special additives (which aren't harmful) in to the plastic to help it breakdown quicker and quicker. With repeated use over and over again, you'll notice the plastic get softer and squeezier, which is it starting to break down. It's got nothing to do with BPA (mostly a media hype up), which is found in very little plastic types to begin with but it can be harmful. Plastic is made from petrol after all. Best bet is to go to Rebel sport or your local bike shop and buy a plastic (or metal) one designed for repeated use, usually for as little as $8 each.

Thanks very much! Hmm interesting, I've been doing this for years though :S.
I will invest in that.

One question though. Is one extra use okay? Because I work nights, pizza life, and I don't get to pre drink with my friends, just meet them at the club. So what I do is, get a gatorade bottle, drink it. Fill it up 50% vodka/gin/scotch and then the rest with fanta/tonic/coke. Then have that on the bus on the way in. I don't exactly want to be spending money on a bottle that I'm going to chuck out as I walk in.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And wtf - Tim Fischer is still alive!? I was just watching a video of Keating putting him through the mincer and he was a billion years old then...

I've been waiting for some one to give old Tim a good going over about just what he did all those years as a PAID ambassador to the Vatican. Just what representations did he make on behalf of Australian catholic kids who were raped and abused?

Did he represent the Australian government s when he was there and have pressure put on Pell to act half decently or was he a quisling co-opted by the Vatican as essentially a spy conveying intelligence and advance warning and tactics to the vatican about what was going on here while being handsomely paid from the public purse?

Last edited:

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for some one to give old Tim a good going over about just what he did all those years as a PAID ambassador to the Vatican. Just what representations did he make on behalf of Australian catholic kids who were raped and abused?

Did he represent the Australian government s when he was there and have pressure put on Pell to act half decently or was he a quisling co-opted by the Vatican as essentially a spy conveying intelligence and advance warning and tactics to the vatican about what was going on here while being handsomely paid from the public purse?

He failed to mention that, naturally. Everything was on the PNG plan.

Funnily enough I grew up with all the priests who were arrested, they used to live at my school.

I was never fiddled, but Bishop Malone did pat me on the tailbone once...

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That will be your Hollywood looks again Mr Nelson. You going to shave down to the pencil moustache?

Nah, I will keep the face fuzz like this bloke:

Amitabh-Bachchan-130513130513130234.jpg

coxaca

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

None of the above. I'm sure he spent the entire time sipping espressi on Via Vittorio Veneto and popping down to Napoli for fittings.

Come to think of it, I might apply for that job next time it comes up.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, would any members be interested in the idea of a tie swap box for Australian members?

Basically 10 ties which you would get to keep for 2 weeks then pass on to the next person that signs up. Been toying with this for a while as I have a heap of ties that are essentially new or worn a few times by me that may have sold out, may not have or may be from past seasons and I pretty much stop wearing them once they sell out or new stock comes in.

It'd be a chance to try ties out you may have wanted to but didn't want to lay the cash down in case you didn't like it (i.e people that have never worn knit ties but wanted to try one) or just generally wear some other ties than what's in your own rotation for a few weeks.

I'd be aiming for a mix of 7 folds mostly, but with some 3 folds and a few knit ties thrown in too.

There would be no cost other than postage to the next person which you would agree to send by registered post so nothing gets lost. Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll think about it more.

I'd definitely be interested in that.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can get those bottles at any op shop for a buck.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd definitely be interested.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The major reason the Holy See was given 2-minute Tim as a stand alone ambassador (used to be an add-on jurisdiction of the ambassador to the Irish Republic IIRC) was part of Kevin's vanity project to get Aus a seat on the UN Security Council. They don't actually vote for members given they only have observer status, but the nuncios carry a bit of weight with many of the Latin American countries that do...

It seems to have worked, and we got Mary MacKillop made into a saint as an added bonus. But I wouldn't hold your breath for any representations on behalf of the Australian victims of abuse at the hands of the Church and her officials.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That sounds interesting Jason. Would there be any "swap" aspect of the scheme (apart from sending on)...I thought from some other SF versions, there was the chance to swap a tie in or something - http://lacasuarina.tumblr.com/post/54627764788/the-tie-swap-box-the-fellas-over-at-styleforum.

Nah, I will keep the face fuzz like this bloke:

Amitabh-Bachchan-130513130513130234.jpg

Gerry, you would make a perfect Amitabh Bachchan, just a little talcum powder in the beard.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
What a great Melbourne morning to discover a hole in the sole of my black Hallams... I guess I'm off to Rekaris tomorrow.

Also, I'd be in for the swap box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads