• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethandesu

Reaction score

Protip: When aggressively telling someone to "lighten the **** up", remember to take your own advice.

Ha - very good point. I will also try to lighten the **** up.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deleted.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A bit more expensive, but Gant Rugger makes nice stuff. I think their quality has slipped a bit recently. What used to be 100% wool will now be a wool/poly blend

Your right there I used to wear of a lot of Gant casual gear about eight years ago, trousers mainly, still have a pair of black lined leather gloves which are going strong but overall the quality has dropped a lot in the past few years most of my casual stuff is from LE or LLB at present.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am increasingly avoiding SF, and this exemplifies why. The anal-retentive rule following and boring, conservative mentalities rip all the joy out of dressing. The amount of times I have heard men in gray suits and black shoes tell me what I should be wearing and why leaves me depressed. Many of the people involved in this industry truly enjoy what they do, they love dressing and there is a definite creative buzz when working with others in the industry. The 'clothing enthusiasts' come along and tell us how we should be wearing our clothing, never bothering to consider that we are not them, we are not trying to express what they express. It is like classical musicians telling a jazz musician that their music is wrong, their expression wrong, because they don't follow the rules that others confine themselves to.
Lighten the **** up. Does it really bother you that my tie isn't straight? Do you really think you know how comfortable I would be in heavy cotton, speaking from a different country? Do you think you know our inspirations for dressing, when we live completely different lives, with vastly different career paths, social circles and even different cultures?

desu

Ethan, I apologise if you feel upset or irritated by my comment and I'm sorry that it rubbed you up the wrong way.

It doesn't really bother me that you've tied your tie with the back in front of the blade, but I do stand by my comment about the contradiction inherent in someone carefully dressing as though they nonchalantly don't care about the way that they dress at all.

It just seems too studied or forced to me, but I don't expect you to take my opinion to heart in any way, shape or form, as I'm just a guy commenting on the internet! Speaking of which, given that there are plenty of photos of you out there on the internet - and that, dare I say it, your current success is partially due to your talent for photography and blogging, as well as to your knowledge and passion for clothing - I'd hazard a guess that it's pretty common for people to comment on your photographs, for better or for worse.

With regard to the heavy cotton trousers, I was actually talking about Alan, not about yourself, as Alan posted a pic of himself wearing a pair of 17oz cotton trousers - that's heavier than most denim.

mostly. I thought you and journeyman were friends.

I'd feel privileged were I able to call Ethan a friend, but I can only describe us as acquaintances as I've only met him in the flesh on a couple of occasions but he kindly stayed in touch with me even though we lived in different cities and he also helped me considerably with clothing, for which I am very grateful.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes praise the gods my messenger bag finally arrived! will post pics later in the week.

Will be in Sydney tomorrow Chur burger is burnt out any suggestions on a good $10 lunch?

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ethan, I apologise if you feel upset or irritated by my comment and I'm sorry that it rubbed you up the wrong way.

It doesn't really bother me that you've tied your tie with the back in front of the blade, but I do stand by my comment about the contradiction inherent in someone carefully dressing as though they nonchalantly don't care about the way that they dress at all.

It just seems too studied or forced to me, but I don't expect you to take my opinion to heart in any way, shape or form, as I'm just a guy commenting on the internet! Speaking of which, given that there are plenty of photos of you out there on the internet - and that, dare I say it, your current success is partially due to your talent for photography and blogging, as well as to your knowledge and passion for clothing - I'd hazard a guess that it's pretty common for people to comment on your photographs, for better or for worse.

With regard to the heavy cotton trousers, I was actually talking about Alan, not about yourself, as Alan posted a pic of himself wearing a pair of 17oz cotton trousers - that's heavier than most denim.
I'd feel privileged were I able to call Ethan a friend, but I can only describe us as acquaintances as I've only met him in the flesh on a couple of occasions but he kindly stayed in touch with me even though we lived in different cities and he also helped me considerably with clothing, for which I am very grateful.

Very cordial of you journeyman - yWhen people post things on the internet it is subject to critique, and often, less kindly than the way you have expressed. I don't think your words warrant an apology. And anyway, debates at times can make more of an interesting discourse than circle jerking each other.

Last edited:

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually this thread is one of the few refuges on SF that remains free from such people (with the exception of certain members who shall remain Unnamed). The criticism here is almost always constructive and not mean-spirited.

The worst we get here is people getting annoyed at the same old questions being asked on a monthly cycle... something we are all guilty of at times.

This I've found to be true, and something I'm grateful for.

**** blows up sometimes, but we can't please everybody, nor claim to be able to get along with everybody at the same time. We just.. move on, knowing:

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cordial of you journeyman - yWhen people post things on the internet it is subject to critique, and often, less kindly than the way you have expressed. I don't think your words warrant an apology. And anyway, debates at times can make more of an interesting discourse than circle jerking each other.

There might have not been a "need", but live and let live, yes?

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now kiss.

Do it.

Now.

lurker[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads