• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always prefer a French front on my MTM shirts as I think it's a cleaner look, but if I see a nice one that fits well OTR somewhere with a regular placket it won't stop me buying it.
Interesting to hear some other's takes on this as I always thought a regular placket was more suited to wearing with a tie, as you can't see it, while a French front looks neater for wear without a tie.

If I have my preferences I tend to have all shirts with plackets and pockets. A plain/french front shirt with hidden buttons to me looks a bit fussy or something. A placket says "this is a working shirt". A placket gives a nice vertical line and breaks up the horizontal line nicely. Slimming. The vertical line both invites and complements a tie. Or substitutes for a tie and hints at the absence of tie when the neck is open sans tie. No pocket seems impractical. Business cards when received are popped in shirt pocket. Usually a pen there too. My dockets/receipt go in shirt pocket.

I'm tending to prefer simple straight cut barrel cuffs these days too. I've gone off cufflinks a bit. I think I'm trying for a overall softer less shiney and refined look. Suede footwear, nappy-er materials, knit ties, thicker socks, shirts with some texture.

Last edited:

swan

Reaction score
^are the Tony's designed by Tony Gaziano? I remember him writing on his blog saying that Tony Gaziano helped him with the lasts.
not sure about that but i'm sure if you get in touch with him he could answer that question for you

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post selfie

First morning of proper Autumn weather (down under 5 deg C)

Coat: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Cottonwork
Tie: Henry Carter 7 fold
Trousers: Light grey HY flannel
Shoes: Herring Reading
PS: Random

CHECKstar

Reaction score

I always prefer a French front on my MTM shirts as I think it's a cleaner look, but if I see a nice one that fits well OTR somewhere with a regular placket it won't stop me buying it.

I'm with you 100 percent on this PoP... Apart from it looking cleaner, I also think a placket is a quite common detail (a bit like double-cuffs now days) hence a clean front can also be a subtle point of differentiation from the pack. At the end of the day I imagine that its only going to be the clothing enthusiasts that will really notices this sort of thing.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If I have my preferences I tend to have all shirts with plackets and pockets. A plain/french front shirt with hidden buttons to me looks a bit fussy or something. A placket says "this is a working shirt". A placket gives a nice vertical line and breaks up the horizontal line nicely. Slimming. The vertical line both invites and complements a tie. Or substitutes for a tie and hints at the absence of tie when the neck is open sans tie. No pocket seems impractical. Business cards when received are popped in shirt pocket. Usually a pen there too. My dockets/receipt go in shirt pocket.

I'm tending to prefer simple straight cut barrel cuffs these days too. I've gone off cufflinks a bit. I think I'm trying for a overall softer less shiney and refined look. Suede footwear, nappy-er materials, knit ties, thicker socks, shirts with some texture.
I think first paragraph of fxh is very job and situation dependent. I agree with the vertical line but sometimes the pocket stuffed with receipts and pen can look a bit "professor"

2nd para is something Ive always adhered to as well - rarely cufflinks, no tie bars, suede shoes and mixing texture and material for interest. I even want a sleek pair of black suede shoes for business use.
fing02[1].gif

Selvaggio

Reaction score

I even want a sleek pair of black suede shoes for business use.
fing02%5B1%5D.gif
Me too. I'm thinking of ordering a pair from Zee's. Just plain Jane, black suede captoe oxfords. My only worry is fading.

Robert Meredith

Reaction score
Had a great chat with Richard from Ludlow's when he was down here last week measuring people up for legal wear. Nice guy.

Definitely have to get around a Melbourne trip soon to pop into the store. It's been about 3 years since I was up that way, so I think there's a lot of new places I'd like to check out (Double Monk for one).

Orchie

Reaction score
X-post selfie

First morning of proper Autumn weather (down under 5 deg C)

Coat: Herringbone Sydney
Shirt: Cottonwork
Tie: Henry Carter 7 fold
Trousers: Light grey HY flannel
Shoes: Herring Reading
PS: Random
Can you only purchase HY online?

Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads