1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Rugby used to be known as the game they play in heaven, but the Wallabies are a slow train to hell. :censored: And thank you very much to that French :censored: of a referee who ruined the Black V Boks game.:brick::brick:

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

For me today was Zegna slacks, Testoni loafers, a FOTL long sleeve tee and a Snowgum zipped top. Op shopping outfit - stuff looks respectable enough to recommend me to the volunteer ladies but is quick to get off and on, for trying stuff on.

Surprising pickup in one op shop. Not SF-approved, but I picked up a brand new Oxford suit for $10. Still has the basting stitches in it and everything.

3. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Oxford (single x) are variable. I like (and have purchased) a lot of their shirts. I have also had good suits from them. Overcoats, leather jackets, shoes, ties - I've been a good client.

But lately I really think Oxford have gone downhill. This was one of the first retail chains to source virtually all their stock from China, starting ten or more years ago. But everyone gets their shit from China now and there's no such thing as loyalty in that culture. So Oxford have probably lost their good suppliers and are now scrambling for the dregs like everyone else.

Hopefully you scored a good 'un.

4. sliq

sliq Senior member

agreed. they were once great. i've seen a few of their old shirts use quality fabrics from Monti. now their quality is heading towards the Marcs direction.

5. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thanks Romp, actually ordered the Loro Piana 3-ply. Triple patch pocket, unstructured, quarter lined. Got a few shirts too, white, pink and a couple of blues (no black watch available).

Very much looking forward to the arrival of my kit.

Oli, I am well below your average SFer, but hopefully I did alright.

Thanks fxh, I got that message from your original post and tried to keep it in mind. Hopefully I picked the right one. I am sure you will give me an honest assessment if I wear it next time we meet.

PoP - thanks for the Tasmania advice. I will read through it now.

2 people like this.
  6. jmills

jmills Senior member

Congrats mate. I've got a second suit coming in that cloth as well.

Something about a SF members' meeting in S.F. keeps appearing in the tumblogs, and the post mentions that there were guests from Australia? Who went?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  7. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Anyone here remember Georges department store on Collins Street?

I picked up some great stuff from there in the day. Best of the lot: a Givenchy terry-towelling dressing gown on sale for $200 which has been a daily wearer (at least in the colder seasons) for more than twenty years. Seemed terribly expensive at the time, but has turned out to be one of those classic value-for-money purchases. One day I'll post a sleepwear fit.

I also bought a pair of Draper Anton slippers from Georges around the same time. They lasted about ten years before falling apart.

Good memories.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

On the subject of Tasmania fxh posted a couple of years ago post #1322 about Routley's Menswear in Hobart.

9. Romp

Romp Senior member

Nice one - its a good brown

I just pulled the trigger on my first Orazio Luciano (La Vera Sartoria Napoletana jacket) in light grey - chose a crepe wool from the Delfino Milano bunch
    3 patch pocket with signature orazio curve
    2.5 roll
    smoked MOP buttons
    unstructured/unpadded like a shirt
    neapolitan shoulder

2 people like this.
  10. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Frothing.

11. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

^^^baller

On an unrelated note, I came across these C&J driving shoes on their website:

[​IMG]

They look really lovely, but don't seem to actually be available for sale anywhere online. They're about 150 pounds plus 45 shipping from C&J direct, which ain't cheap, in fact it's nearly $350 which is crazy expensive. But they do look very nice...

12. Romp

Romp Senior member

might as well have proper italian ones.. colours look quite muted

13. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Yeah nah.

I don't see the point of driving shoes - you could get a pair of penny loafers for the same price and look just as pimp.

14. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

Thanks guys

I will try grab a pair of Kingsvale for cheap if I can, I went to DJS to try some Loakes to try and figure out which last would be good but all I really came away with is I need a G fit... The one I found that did fit, the Tintagel, has been discontinued and that particular last doesn't seem to be used for any of their other shoes. Churchs in a G also fit well for me, so that might be something down the road...Would love to try Christian Kimber in the meantime, otherwise I might just wing it for a pair of C&J Brecons... thanks for the input

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I actually think drivers suit our australian life style very well in summer. I wear my tods with denim or chinos, no socks (much to fxh's dissaproval) and a linen shirt with the sleeves rolled up all the time between nov and march. Its perfect warm summer night casual dinner/barbie attire.

1 person likes this.
  16. sliq

sliq Senior member

i find that penny loafers are the dressier side of casual. sometimes you just want something a bit more laid back.

17. Romp

Romp Senior member

i ruined a pair of tod's at a BBQ last year... :( grease no good on suede hehe

18. Romp

Romp Senior member

plus drivers are heaps more comfy than pennys

19. JayH

JayH Senior member

I also have a pair of ruined tod's, although from wearing through the sole. On that topic does anyone know a cobbler who will resole tod's?

20. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

The hell is wrong with Melbourne? It's fucking spring and it's still raining and shit.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.