• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by corey.m
It's tiring.

The most appealing aspect of P Johnson to me is that there is a strong house aesthetic that is in line with my personal taste.

I've commissioned garments from two local bespoke tailors and I was ultimately unable to achieve what I wanted due to a ideological disconnections.

Admittedly once things began to sour, I no longer had the perseverance to steer the projects back on course.

After each fitting I'd leave with a bigger hole in my heart.

Conversely, every time I have shopped at Herringbone I have left feeling like a million bucks.

I'm very glad to hear that Ethan is on board and I'm looking forward to booking an appointment.

I agree with all that. I am keen to give P Johnson a go for my next suit.

lennier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
I tried Bancrofts in South Yarra. They charge double for a dry clean ($32.50 for a 2-piece suit) compared to the rest of the world. I was about the swear 'never again' after I wasn't that impressed with the in-store service.. however the lapel does have a nice roll to it and they did get out all the marks and stains.

Thanks PG, was considering them after seeing their website. Not superconvenient but if I can't find someone recommended who's closer I might give them a go.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
I I was about the swear 'never again' after I wasn't that impressed with the in-store service.. however the lapel does have a nice roll to it and they did get out all the marks and stains.

Mission accomplished!

Tano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Socks arrived today... finally

Bought some Pantherellas from DJ's in down town Perth last week. Which one of you guys took all the decent ones!? Looked like a bomb site.

These are still full retail. I went down there to the conservative business dress today.

Are the Sea Island ones worth $39.95? They have others priced at 19.95, 24.95 and 34.95. Not sure why they are priced different.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
So this afternoon I dropped off my white linen pants at Katrina's to get them tapered a bit and the place was packed! Looks like they are quite busy at the moment. Heads up but there is a new guy working there, I believe its the main guy's nephew. He seemed a tad on the inexperienced side, and had to call his uncle to pin up my pants. I would probably be careful letting him do anything more complicated then hemming pants at this stage (sorry if that is a little harsh).

Also, Melbourne gents what's the go with this humid weather?! It's killing me! Thank god the big boss at work has implemented a 'casual January' dress policy. Today I broke out for the first time my RPL linen suit pants that I picked up from B&S - way too humid for the jacket! Anyhow the colour was quite the talking point at work - with the debate of what it actually is! In the end it came down to the yellow camp v the camel camp! I am not sure who won in the end! How are others dressing in the current weather?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
So this afternoon I dropped off my white linen pants at Katrina's to get them tapered a bit and the place was packed! Looks like they are quite busy at the moment. Heads up but there is a new guy working there, I believe its the main guy's nephew. He seemed a tad on the inexperienced side, and had to call his uncle to pin up my pants. I would probably be careful letting him do anything more complicated then hemming pants at this stage (sorry if that is a little harsh). Also, Melbourne gents what's the go with this humid weather?! It's killing me! Thank god the big boss at work has implemented a 'casual January' dress policy. Today I broke out for the first time my RPL linen suit pants that I picked up from B&S - way too humid for the jacket! Anyhow the colour was quite the talking point at work - with the debate of what it actually is! In the end it came down to the yellow camp v the camel camp! I am not sure who won in the end! How are others dressing in the current weather?
What time were you there today? Wonder why so packed. I was just there around lunch time couple of days ago and it was just me. Oh I saw the new guy there too. Maybe he's just hanging around for the summer break. Weather is terrible. So hard to breathe because the air is so thick. I go cotton trou + singlet + shirt - tie. Thank goodness office has aircon.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
These are still full retail. I went down there to the conservative business dress today.

Are the Sea Island ones worth $39.95? They have others priced at 19.95, 24.95 and 34.95. Not sure why they are priced different.

Many styles are actually discounted at the counter. I just cleaned out most of the remaining discounted stock in size 39-42.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Anyhow the colour was quite the talking point at work - with the debate of what it actually is! In the end it came down to the yellow camp v the camel camp! I am not sure who won in the end!
So let me get this straight: they all said you were wearing yellow camp linen pants was it because they were see through they looked camp?
Originally Posted by chechstar
How are others dressing in the current weather?
Originally Posted by blahman
Weather is terrible. So hard to breathe because the air is so thick. I go cotton trou + singlet + shirt - tie. Thank goodness office has aircon.
I have y 6 pair of new chinos, 5 other cotton trous, 4 blue OCBD shirts 2 white, 2 x knit silk ties, linen blend jackets and for the rain my light tan brogues. I dress to look cool in light colours. One small high at the two last meetings I got taken for coffee - eacha short walk up street in mild warm rain - I enjoyed not being under the umbrella and getting damp. It always improves a jackets fit to wear it in light rain. I am about to put in an official complaint about the weather. Its just not Melbourne to be muggy, sweaty, hot, rained on,all at once. To make matters worse its hard to wear a tie all day and a jacket. Was at a Ministerial briefing this morning, 200+ punters in room but green building - air con doesnt come on till 11am or it gets to 26C or some idiotic thing- so we sweated, then took jackets off then, rolled up sleeves, then aircon came on. bah Its undignified weather this- sydney queensland weather - it encourages people to display flesh, short sleeved shirts etc. I wouldnt have been at all surprised to see someone with shoes and no socks. Or Horrors - shorts. This is the weather that Northerners go troppo in and kill. I advise you to follow my advice. I have forbiden Ms FX access to alcohol, taken all sharp knives out of kitchen draw and surrended them to the local cop shop till the weather improves nd I make sure I'm no where near the car when shes backing. We simply cannot be proper melbournians in his type of weather. Oh Lord we, your sartorial children of Melb, implore you, lift this muggy heat burden from our shoulders.Amen

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this like a style forum version of saying 2 hail marys? :p (or our fathers)
Oh fxh if I see someone on the street in a knit tie, chances are he's be you right. Most people don't even know there is such a thing.

goldknots

Reaction score
I've been in Melbourne since Sunday for my first trip to Australia and this weather SUCKS! Beautiful city but I hope the weather improves before I head back next saturday

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goldknots
I've been in Melbourne since Sunday for my first trip to Australia and this weather SUCKS! Beautiful city but I hope the weather improves before I head back next saturday

It's Melbourne after all ...don't hold out too much hope....

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just catching up with this thread since returning from NYC.

I must say hello to Ethan one of these days and see how he is going. I hope he finds a place where his talents are put to good use and he is justly rewarded for his abilities.

Sorry for the necroquotation but I couldn't help but notice this post:

Originally Posted by streetminimal
I wish something like JCrew would exist in Australia. Looking at the stuff on their site, it's a shame that we don't have that sort of stuff here.

BTW JCrew stuff is pretty atrocious. You would be laughed at by the Americans on this forum for lamenting their absence. My first encounter was in Boston when I walked into their store mistaking it for a JPress. I was horrified. Then some American on this forum pointed out my error. This time I checked out both the JCrew and JPress stores in NYC. JCrew remain awful but I wasn't too impressed by the dull conservativeness of JPress either.

You know, as for Country Rd their current stuff looks like it is made in the same Chinese factory as JCrew. There was time when CR stuff was made in Oz and was really well made. I found an old 1980s CR shirt in my GF's wardrobe and was amazed at how well made it was. It still looked new.

A lady at the 6th Ave Brooks Brother's store (next to the Radio City Music Hall) asked me about CR and she said that in the old days her two favourites stores were CR and BB. In those days (1980s), these two firms really made nice stuff - made in the US and Oz respectively.

Other than that, I know too much about cut and construction for my own good these days. I can dissect a garment with my eyes. It totally takes the Romance out of it. I go through high end stuff on 5th and Madison shaking my head in disgust, or worse merely react with cold and objective indifference.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Anyone know how much Katrina's charges for simple shirt sleeve shortening? I have previously tried Expert Alterations in Block Arcade and they were pretty good but a tad over $20 per shirt from what I recall. Alternatively, anyone know of any good alterations places to do simple alterations (like sshortening shirt sleeves) for a competitive price? Thanks

In my limited experience anything less than $30 is cheap

And from what I know shirt sleeve shortening isn't "simple"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads