1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Distinguished Member

Someone else told me that he'll be heading to http://pjohnson.com.au/

So it's no longer SuitShop? [​IMG]

2. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior Member

So it's no longer SuitShop? [​IMG]

Dunno.

3. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior Member

Thanks for clearing that up PG. The current discussion just shows what a great impression Ethan left on customers, myself included.

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Distinguished Member

Dunno.

At least the website is a little more informative under its new guise. Now we know the product is made in Holland rather than the previously described "Europe." I still say the prices are too high for what is essentially offshore MTM.

5. streetminimal

At least the website is a little more informative under its new guise. Now we know the product is made in Holland rather than the previously described "Europe." I still say the prices are too high for what is essentially offshore MTM.

http://www.suit-shop.com/ - lol

Is it MTM or Bespoke?

$1300 for S120 is hmmmm....and it's not 'fully hand made', so does that mean it's partially machined?

6. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior Member

I actually have made some enquiries with P Johnson and was indending to make an order in the next month or so, pending whether or no we decide to go to HK for a holiday. I spoke to the Melbourne tailor, Tom, who said that the price of the average 2 piece suit is $1,350 and three piece $1,600. The starting price of three piece with an extra pair of trousers is $1,750.

7. streetminimal

I actually have made some enquiries with P Johnson and was indending to make an order in the next month or so, pending whether or no we decide to go to HK for a holiday. I spoke to the Melbourne tailor, Tom, who said that the price of the average 2 piece suit is $1,350 and three piece $1,600. The starting price of three piece with an extra pair of trousers is $1,750.

Interesting. Do you think you'd get a better deal over in HK?

I wonder how much they would charge for any alterations after the fitting, or is it inclusive?

8. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior Member

Interesting. Do you think you'd get a better deal over in HK?

Probably not that much of a better deal $ wise, but you probably would option wise. P Johnson is more MTM then Bespoke, so you can only customise it to a certain point. Eg they can't make double breasted waist coats or pants with fishtail backs.

9. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Distinguished Member

Around $1,500 seems like a very decent price for a MTM suit, especially if it includes full canvas lining. Especially considering most Australian designer RTW suits are there or thereabouts in terms of price.

10. bhall41

bhall41 Senior Member

Around $1,500 seems like a very decent price for a MTM suit, especially if it includes full canvas lining. Especially considering most Australian designer RTW suits are there or thereabouts in terms of price.

I agree.

11. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior Member

I agree. That said, I think a full canvas is extra ($100 or $250 - something like that).

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Distinguished Member

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Distinguished Member

Based on those prices I'd be willing to give p johnson a go.

Popped in to Beggar Man Thief today. Nice shop, nice shoes, nice staff. Hope they do well.

14. JTA

JTA Senior Member

In my view $1,500 is a good price for a full canvas MTM suit in Australia.

Understand that it may be cheaper in HK but the air ticket price has to be factored also (about $1,000 for a return ticket), except if you are a regular visitor or the tailor already has your measurement.

15. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior Member

In my view $1,500 is a good price for a full canvas MTM suit in Australia.

Understand that it may be cheaper in HK but the air ticket price has to be factored also (about $1,000 for a return ticket), except if you are a regular visitor or the tailor already has your measurement.

Yep, if I do pull the trigger I am planning to spend about $2k for a three piece with two pairs of trousers and go for the hand made option. I would expect that two pairs of trousers plus a waistcoat shoud make it versitile enough to last many years.

That said, if I am going to be in HK for a holiday anyway like the Mrs is nagging me, I would probably get somthing simmilar over there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.