Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZengaGent

ZengaGent Senior member

It's tiring.

The most appealing aspect of P Johnson to me is that there is a strong house aesthetic that is in line with my personal taste.

I've commissioned garments from two local bespoke tailors and I was ultimately unable to achieve what I wanted due to a ideological disconnections.

Admittedly once things began to sour, I no longer had the perseverance to steer the projects back on course.

After each fitting I'd leave with a bigger hole in my heart.

Conversely, every time I have shopped at Herringbone I have left feeling like a million bucks.

I'm very glad to hear that Ethan is on board and I'm looking forward to booking an appointment.

What he said.

Dunno the answer to that, but I wish they would bring their upmarket sibiling, Massimo Dutti, to Oz. Great for casual wear. www.massimodutti.com

Saw that in Kuala Lumpur.

Concur that it looks pretty good and is reasonably priced; shame they didn't have my size.

2. Sator

Sator Senior member

Massimo Dutti still fuse their coats. While the cut isn't actually too bad, it's not exactly a Brioni or Attolini.

3. ZengaGent

ZengaGent Senior member

Massimo Dutti still fuse their coats. While the cut isn't actually too bad, it's not exactly a Brioni or Attolini.

Ayup.

But for the price, I suppose there's a lot worse out there.

And FWIW, I can't bring myself to walk into a CR shop... except for baby clothes for my little girl... [​IMG]

Good to speak to you again.

ZG out

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

How much do the Massimo Duttis go for?

5. Sator

Sator Senior member

6. meister

meister Senior member

I think the CR brand is moving towards the trendier side while the more conservative styles are getting moved to their newer Trenery label. Still doesn't say anything about their quality though. And CR is starting to get very over priced seeing 50/50 cotton poly blend sportscoats retailing $300.
    Still I notice some of their ties are still made in Italy but who knows how much of that is actually true.

The occasional shoe is good value on sale when they are blake stitched as well.

To properly shorten shirt sleeves, it should be done from the cuff.
    Therefore, the tailor needs to remove the cuff and the placket, re-cut the placket vent and shorten the sleeve, and then re-attach the placket and cuff, making sure to pleat the sleeve-end correctly. As fxh notes, it's not exactly a simple procedure so anything less than $30 sounds pretty good (bearing in mind that, like most things, alterations here are more expensive than in the US so US prices quoted in other threads are misleading).

Correct!

7. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Last time I went into a CR store was in 2007, when I went to their factory outlet in Richmond. Overall I was unimpressed, but I did pick up a wallet for $20. I've had that wallet for almost 4 years and it's still going strong. Bear in mind that I used to have a bad habit of buying cheap, nasty $10 Kmart wallets and wearing them out every 12 months. [​IMG] My only other experience with CR is when my sister bought me a shirt from there in 2005 as a birthday present. Quality seemed OK, but not amazing. It also had a very fruity floral pattern on it. I ended up thrifting it NWT 6 months later. [​IMG]

8. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

actually the quality of the suits improved when production went to China, its the other areas such as ties & shirts that went the other way as production was moved to Tunisia & Vietnam
    Good to know. Cheers.

Thanks, PG. I mucked this up, big time. I would proudly have worn anything that Ethan picked out for me based purely on his reputation. The value of asking his opinion (on Nakhle, CJs, shoe care etc.) far outweighs anything I would have spent in store. I also decided on RTW because I didn't want to have to fight Sam Disano to cut high armholes and deal with shoddy buttons etc. I need a firm hand. Ethan seemed the perfect candidate. Is there anyone in Herringbone you recommend I see who shares Ethan's passion?

9. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Speaking of MJ Bale, they should open up a store in Melbourne. God damnit.

10. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Yes, I agree. I presumed their suits were fused although I don't remember inspecting them. I mentioned Massimo Dutti in the context of the earlier reference to Zara opening in Australia and casual clothes.

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I believe they are going to do just that very shortly.

12. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

I believe they are going to do just that very shortly.

GREAT NEWS!

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Agreed.

It seems a bit silly to open four stores in Sydney, all within a reasonably small area, as they are in direct competition with Herringbone and also having so many stores selling very similar products in a small area would surely lead to cannibalisation of sales (IMHO, one of the reasons why Herringbone found itself in financial trouble a while back).

14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Journeyman,

You all safe and sound up there?

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Journeyman, You all safe and sound up there?
    CW, speaking just for my family, we had a couple of days without power but were otherwise not troubled by the floods. I'd already stocked up some tinned food and essentials and had a full bottle of gas for the BBQ so we were fine. Houses down the hill from us, however, were entirely submerged. It's been quite surreal and I consider myself to have got off very lightly, considering that a few of my friends have lost their houses and pretty much everything else they own is covered in stinking, brown mud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.