• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

surely the younger will have come across metal in garments before? or maybe only me. think McQ, Dior Homme, Damir Doma, Song for the Mute or CoN. The last two are Aussie but SW&D so probably not known. I've only ever seen it used to provide a sheen (very light chain mail style running through) for skinny jeans and jackets.
Song has dressed Lupe Fiasco and Kanye before.

I remember when metal garments were all the rage. Here's a pic of me from the '90s:

chainmail.jpg

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Out of curiosity, how many of you regular posters have kids?

I know Rob has a child, Charlie has one on the way and FXH said he bought a suit for his kid, anyone else?

1 pint-sized 3 year old.

She's great fun! :)

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No kids for me.. 27, so just a good time to practice, not that I could afford one with my Mrs spending habits anyway

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a partial list of what I've gotten off eBay over the last year:

John Lobb shoes
Borelli shirts
Barbour Beaufort jacket
C&J Marlow wingtips and plain toe bluchers
Gloverall duffle coats
Drakes ties
Lorenzini linen jacket
John Smedley merino v-neck jumpers

were these mostly new?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spewing. This is why I stay away from Ebay. Only heartbreak ensures.

my eBay secret is to have multiple tabs opened up with incremental bids of $5-$10 (as long as it doesn't exceed your utmost max bid) within the last 1 minute of the bid. have the screen ready to just make 1 click bids. and here's the second part of the secret - always add $0.01 on the end of the bid e.g. $5.01 - it ensures if someone has entered a bid similar to yours, you will always be ahead of them due to the $0.01.

works like a charm.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a pair of suede shoes earlier this year, didn't get much wear out of them due to weather in Canberra.

Have finally gotten round to give them a spray of stain protector. It has darkened the shoes slightly so wondering do they need a second coat now? Or should i wait a few months?

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bought a pair of suede shoes earlier this year, didn't get much wear out of them due to weather in Canberra.
Have finally gotten round to give them a spray of stain protector. It has darkened the shoes slightly so wondering do they need a second coat now? Or should i wait a few months?

Many of the suede protector sprays say something on the can about how repeated light coatings are more effective than one thorough coating. Does yours say something similar?

I usually just give my suede shoes a good brush after wearing and tend not to use protector spray on them any more.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many of the suede protector sprays say something on the can about how repeated light coatings are more effective than one thorough coating. Does yours say something similar?
I usually just give my suede shoes a good brush after wearing and tend not to use protector spray on them any more.

Having read the fine print yes, but question is how often? Or will this repeated spraying further darken the shoes?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having read the fine print yes, but question is how often? Or will this repeated spraying further darken the shoes?

In my experience repeated application doesn't darken the shoes further after the first spray. What the spray tends to do is make the nap of the suede reflect light more uniformly - at least until you handle the shoes and leave finger marks etc.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBM and PoP thanks you've clarified the issue for me.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attention fellow Brisbanites:

Would anyone happen to be free to meet up for a drink or two after work this Thursday, 15 November?

I'm thinking of arranging an SF dinner sometime soon, as our last big get-together was in October last year, but in the interim I thought that it might be nice to catch up for a chat and a drink or two.

Please let me know what you think.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden tassel loafer in either burgundy or brown calf to be purchased later this week.

Can't decide on colour. Opinions? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads