Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Michael, I'm glad that the P. Johnson jacket fits you well. It's typically possible to bring up the bottom hem of a jacket by an inch (or two, depending on pocket placement), but no more than that otherwise the jacket will look unbalanced.

It's interesting to have a recap of some "SF history".

I assume that you've looked at Phat Guido's "Most Exerent" blog? It's not as interesting (for me, at least) as it used to be as now it's mostly "cawfee" shots and pics of Italian bikes and cycling shoes, rather than tailored clothing. However, Graeme has a great eye and he's taken some excellent photographs over the years. I do find that he belabours the "I'm not part of the online circle jerk" point a bit too much at times as, whilst Graeme clearly thinks that he's original and that he has his own style (and he has made some quite harsh posts about people who dressed similarly to him or who sourced things from the same tailors), you can see virtually identical looks in the pages of Men's Ex, Leon and other Japanese men's clothing magazines. I also find that he sometimes belabours the "just wear it without care" schtick a bit too much at times, too, because evidently Graeme did care a great deal about how he looked in jackets and suits I think that he did put a great deal of thought into how best to combine items together.

I really like Ethan's blog, Rugged Old Salt. Ethan has a gift for photography and clearly devotes a lot of effort to framing and composing his photos. He's taken some lovely photos of buildings, people and nature as well as clothing and I enjoy his more philosophical musings, too. Another thing that I like about Ethan's blog is that the content is original, unlike a lot of Tumblr blogs which are mostly reposts of mid-century modern furniture, girls on bikes, girls wearing glasses, girls wearing glasses whilst on bikes, girls sitting on mid-century modern furniture, food, and the occasional bit of clothing. :devil:

In addition to my previous post and to fxh's post, I'd also say that, as well as trying on lots of things to see how they feel and to see how they fit you, don't rush out and buy lots of stuff at first. Start out slowly, even though there might be great temptation to buy lots of things (particularly given the prices you see on eBay!). This is because, rather than (for example) looking at a Herringbone or Polo Ralph Lauren catalogue and thinking, "That's my kind of look!", it's best to take your time, and develop your own style. Your perceptions of what looks good will change over time and, unless you have a large discretionary budget to spend on clothing, you won't want to be replacing most of your wardrobe every year or two (unlike Phat Guido).

Take your time, get a feel for what you like, for what looks good, for what fits you well and what colours suit you, and then start spending money on items that will, hopefully, last you for a while and that will stand the test of time. That's my view, in any case, although others may differ!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I like Ethan's work as well. Both his photography and his online persona display a generosity of spirit.

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

A tip for young players: make sure if you are ordering off the web that the retailer has a no questions asked money back guarantee. Vintage watches can be a deathtrap - lack of service, rust, poor refinishing, non-genuine parts etc. you can do your money. Like buying a high mileage used car of the net without inspecting it first... only a fool would do it.

If a dealer won't give you a decent cooling off period to return the goods, steer clear. It's a danger sign that something is up with the watch. When you finally get your watch take it to your clockmaker first up. If you wind it and it's rusty/unlubricated etc. you could damage it (all the 2nd hand dealers say they service them, but most often don't). Your clockmaker will also be able to tell you if you have a "frankenwatch" or if the innards are stuffed.

Even if it's kosher be prepared to spend a couple of hundred bucks on top of the purchase price to have the watch properly serviced when you receive it.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Nice post, Michael. Very interesting reading about your experiences. When will you get the P Johnson jacket back? Did you get just the jacket or the trousers as well?

5. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

did someone say watches? :)

6. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

I certainly did sir!!!!!!!!! I knew we had a watch fetishist here was just waiting for him to come out (forgot who it was :p)!!!

7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

The jacket I get back next friday. I could have had it wednesday, but I told him I want a reall good job done, so I will give him extra time. It was just the jacket for $300. Considering it is only the standard finish, I wonder what the hand finish must be like!

8. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

excuse my laziness to go back to search - what was your query? Im assuming its to purchase a watch - who/budget/occassion? Feels like online dating ASL? :)

9. Markus1984

Markus1984 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback Michael - and thank goodness that our measurements matched up well -

If anyone is interested in PJOHNSON Cotton pants with no loop holes (black, navy, blue, khaki) - my waist size is 31

and/or size Small PJohnson shirts (denim blue, black and white check, standard Ice Blue, White, Blue and White striped).. hit me up..

And yes, Myers change-rooms was a good place to sell.. haha

10. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

You are welcome to observe my hand finished glamour from afar Mondays through Fridays and any given Sunday ... your eyelids will peel from your face in awe of its sartorial aura

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

All this talk about "hand finishing" and encounters in the Myer change rooms....

:uhoh:

12. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Still better than machine finishing...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. eightace

eightace Senior member

So here's something interesting.

A couple of months ago, I visited P.Lal and bought a couple of pairs of shoes, being C&J Connaughts and a pair that were on the "Cheaney seconds" shelf. Here's a couple of pics of the latter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The SA that sold them told me they were "Cheaney samples from about 2008."

Well, the other day I got curious and did a Google search for Cheaney monkstraps. I couldn't find anything that looked similar. What I did find were these:

[​IMG]

They're the Edward Green Stowe, made on the 888 last, according to my research.

So, here's a pic of the inside markings of my shoes:

[​IMG]

888 definitely gets a mention, as you can see.

So, my question is, have I picked up a pair of EG's for the bargain price of 699MYR? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can shed any light on this.

Cheers,

Eightace

14. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

-

15. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Here you go Rob!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.