• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today I popped into the Herringbone store at Macquarie Place – where all the wanker bankers go. I was checking out the metro cotton jacket in the beige colour and the navy colour. Both jackets were slightly too long, the sleeves were too long and there was excess fabric at the back of the jacket. The navy was nice, but beige made me look like a 50 year old guy at the Ivy Bar on a Saturday night. Each jacket was $315, and it would have cost about $100 in alterations. I held off.

While I was there, I got speaking to Stephanie – who has been working at Herringbone for 7 years. I asked her about Ethan Newton, Guido, Patrick Johnson and her sister’s fiancé, Thomas, who runs a blog called HespokeShespoke. She knows them all. She spoke highly of Ethan and his shoe polishing skills. I didn’t know he was responsible for Herringbone’s MTM service. That is how he must have met Phat Guido; through Herringbone. She says they were in the same ‘watch club’ amongst other things. PG got her tick of approval for style. Apparently Ethan bought almost every C&J shoe Herringbone stocked. She also raved on about how good Patrick Johnson looks in suits; which sought of pissed me off. A lot was said about Joshua leaving the business, Matt Jensen starting MJ Bale and the buyout of Herringbone from a few years back. A lot was said. It was the hand gestures that mimicked a plane heading towards the ground that said the most. Anyway, it was a good crash course into the history of some of the ‘Styleforum Elite’.

Afterwards, I met Markus at Myer to try on the P Johnson jacket. Markus was sensational to deal with: he wasn’t pushy at all, he was relaxed and he was honest. He claims that the jacket hadn’t been worn outside the house. Considering the thread that holds the double vents closed was still attached on both sides, I believed him. I did Rob’s test of checking the boutonniere hole – it was open and there is a thread to hold a flower in place. Tom was the one that commissioned the jacket, not Patrick. Perhaps that is why there are 3 buttons, not 4. The buttons are working buttons – which are quite nice. On the inside of the jacket there is a red monogram ‘MW’ which is Markus’s initials.

The shoulders, chest, waist, sleeves and the fabric at the back of the jacket are perfect. However, it was too long by about an inch. In other words, it was perfect, except for length. I paid $250 to Markus and went to my tailor who measured the jacket to make sure that it would be absolutely fine to take it up an inch. There is nothing worse than having besom pockets that are too close to the bottom of the jacket. I am pretty lucky because the besom pockets are quite high and shortening the bottom of the jacket does not affect the proportion of the jacket. To shorten, it costs $50. So all up I paid $300 for a jacket that I like, that fits well, and feels great.

On a side note, I was asking my tailor about the 3 jackets I have brought him over the last month. I didn’t tell him it was a P Johnson jacket. He said, “The elite suit jacket is very average quality. The MJ Bale suit is about 10x better than the Elite suit jacket. This jacket (P Johnson jacket) is about 20x better than the MJ Bale Jacket”. He pointed to the lining on the sleeve, the shoulder, the inside of the jacket and said that it must be made by a single tailor in Europe – “true MTM”. He held up a $2,000 Bagozza jacket and claimed that the P Johnson jacket was a slightly better finish. I questioned him and he defiantly claimed that tailoring is his profession and life’s work, and that he can tell straight away whether something is quality or not. So I guess there is a logical reason after all, as to why P Johnson is more expensive than MJ Bale or Elite Suits. I was really hoping 1-2 months ago, I could get P Johnson quality at Elite Suit pricing. The world just doesn’t work like that unfortunately.

I could have popped into the Herringbone warehouse, but I didn’t have time, and I assume that their would fit pretty similar to the 2 jackets I tried on at Macquarie Place.

Anyway, my experience laid out for any new young fellas, like me, that are thinking of buying their first jacket or suit.

Michael, I'm glad that the P. Johnson jacket fits you well. It's typically possible to bring up the bottom hem of a jacket by an inch (or two, depending on pocket placement), but no more than that otherwise the jacket will look unbalanced.

It's interesting to have a recap of some "SF history".

I assume that you've looked at Phat Guido's "Most Exerent" blog? It's not as interesting (for me, at least) as it used to be as now it's mostly "cawfee" shots and pics of Italian bikes and cycling shoes, rather than tailored clothing. However, Graeme has a great eye and he's taken some excellent photographs over the years. I do find that he belabours the "I'm not part of the online circle jerk" point a bit too much at times as, whilst Graeme clearly thinks that he's original and that he has his own style (and he has made some quite harsh posts about people who dressed similarly to him or who sourced things from the same tailors), you can see virtually identical looks in the pages of Men's Ex, Leon and other Japanese men's clothing magazines. I also find that he sometimes belabours the "just wear it without care" schtick a bit too much at times, too, because evidently Graeme did care a great deal about how he looked in jackets and suits I think that he did put a great deal of thought into how best to combine items together.

I really like Ethan's blog, Rugged Old Salt. Ethan has a gift for photography and clearly devotes a lot of effort to framing and composing his photos. He's taken some lovely photos of buildings, people and nature as well as clothing and I enjoy his more philosophical musings, too. Another thing that I like about Ethan's blog is that the content is original, unlike a lot of Tumblr blogs which are mostly reposts of mid-century modern furniture, girls on bikes, girls wearing glasses, girls wearing glasses whilst on bikes, girls sitting on mid-century modern furniture, food, and the occasional bit of clothing. :devil:

In addition to my previous post and to fxh's post, I'd also say that, as well as trying on lots of things to see how they feel and to see how they fit you, don't rush out and buy lots of stuff at first. Start out slowly, even though there might be great temptation to buy lots of things (particularly given the prices you see on eBay!). This is because, rather than (for example) looking at a Herringbone or Polo Ralph Lauren catalogue and thinking, "That's my kind of look!", it's best to take your time, and develop your own style. Your perceptions of what looks good will change over time and, unless you have a large discretionary budget to spend on clothing, you won't want to be replacing most of your wardrobe every year or two (unlike Phat Guido).

Take your time, get a feel for what you like, for what looks good, for what fits you well and what colours suit you, and then start spending money on items that will, hopefully, last you for a while and that will stand the test of time. That's my view, in any case, although others may differ!

Last edited:

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like Ethan's blog, Rugged Old Salt. Ethan has a gift for photography and clearly devotes a lot of effort to framing and composing his photos. He's taken some lovely photos of buildings, people and nature as well as clothing and I enjoy his more philosophical musings, too. Another thing that I like about Ethan's blog is that the content is original, unlike a lot of Tumblr blogs which are mostly reposts of mid-century modern furniture, girls on bikes, girls wearing glasses, girls wearing glasses whilst on bikes, girls sitting on mid-century modern furniture, food, and the occasional bit of clothing. :devil:

I like Ethan's work as well. Both his photography and his online persona display a generosity of spirit.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First sorry to flood this page with so many of my posts...but here goes
My budget is less than $350, no preference when it comes to old and new. Journeyman that's a great watch.
I think I just found it on paisley's website under the name 'Khaki Field' the only difference I notice is that there is no date on that one compared to your's 'Mechanical Officer' (model difference I presume?).

Thanks for your patience :)

A tip for young players: make sure if you are ordering off the web that the retailer has a no questions asked money back guarantee. Vintage watches can be a deathtrap - lack of service, rust, poor refinishing, non-genuine parts etc. you can do your money. Like buying a high mileage used car of the net without inspecting it first... only a fool would do it.

If a dealer won't give you a decent cooling off period to return the goods, steer clear. It's a danger sign that something is up with the watch. When you finally get your watch take it to your clockmaker first up. If you wind it and it's rusty/unlubricated etc. you could damage it (all the 2nd hand dealers say they service them, but most often don't). Your clockmaker will also be able to tell you if you have a "frankenwatch" or if the innards are stuffed.

Even if it's kosher be prepared to spend a couple of hundred bucks on top of the purchase price to have the watch properly serviced when you receive it.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
did someone say watches? :)

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael, I'm glad that the P. Johnson jacket fits you well. It's typically possible to bring up the bottom hem of a jacket by an inch (or two, depending on pocket placement), but no more than that otherwise the jacket will look unbalanced.
It's interesting to have a recap of some "SF history".
I assume that you've looked at Phat Guido's "Most Exerent" blog? It's not as interesting (for me, at least) as it used to be as now it's mostly "cawfee" shots and pics of Italian bikes and cycling shoes, rather than tailored clothing.
However, Graeme has a great eye and he's taken some excellent photographs over the years. I do find that he belabours the "I'm not part of the online circle jerk" point a bit too much at times as, whilst Graeme clearly thinks that he's original and that he has his own style (and he has made some quite harsh posts about people who dressed similarly to him or who sourced things from the same tailors), you can see virtually identical looks in the pages of Men's Ex, Leon and other Japanese men's clothing magazines.
I also find that he sometimes belabours the "just wear it without care" schtick a bit too much at times, too, because evidently Graeme did care a great deal about how he looked in jackets and suits I think that he did put a great deal of thought into how best to combine items together.
I really like Ethan's blog, Rugged Old Salt. Ethan has a gift for photography and clearly devotes a lot of effort to framing and composing his photos. He's taken some lovely photos of buildings, people and nature as well as clothing and I enjoy his more philosophical musings, too. Another thing that I like about Ethan's blog is that the content is original, unlike a lot of Tumblr blogs which are mostly reposts of mid-century modern furniture, girls on bikes, girls wearing glasses, girls wearing glasses whilst on bikes, girls sitting on mid-century modern furniture, food, and the occasional bit of clothing.
devil.gif
In addition to my previous post and to fxh's post, I'd also say that, as well as trying on lots of things to see how they feel and to see how they fit you, don't rush out and buy lots of stuff at first. Start out slowly, even though there might be great temptation to buy lots of things (particularly given the prices you see on eBay!). This is because, rather than (for example) looking at a Herringbone or Polo Ralph Lauren catalogue and thinking, "That's my kind of look!", it's best to take your time, and develop your own style. Your perceptions of what looks good will change over time and, unless you have a large discretionary budget to spend on clothing, you won't want to be replacing most of your wardrobe every year or two (unlike Phat Guido).
Take your time, get a feel for what you like, for what looks good, for what fits you well and what colours suit you, and then start spending money on items that will, hopefully, last you for a while and that will stand the test of time. That's my view, in any case, although others may differ!
Patience pays properly? A lot of posts in this thread should be stickied. It might be common sense to some people, but it is really worth its weight in gold. Sometimes I wish I had of been told this information 5 years ago.

Nice post, Michael. Very interesting reading about your experiences. When will you get the P Johnson jacket back? Did you get just the jacket or the trousers as well?
The jacket I get back next friday. I could have had it wednesday, but I told him I want a reall good job done, so I will give him extra time. It was just the jacket for $300. Considering it is only the standard finish, I wonder what the hand finish must be like!

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I certainly did sir!!!!!!!!! I knew we had a watch fetishist here was just waiting for him to come out (forgot who it was :p)!!!
excuse my laziness to go back to search - what was your query? Im assuming its to purchase a watch - who/budget/occassion? Feels like online dating ASL? :)

Markus1984

Reaction score

Today I popped into the Herringbone store at Macquarie Place – where all the wanker bankers go. I was checking out the metro cotton jacket in the beige colour and the navy colour. Both jackets were slightly too long, the sleeves were too long and there was excess fabric at the back of the jacket. The navy was nice, but beige made me look like a 50 year old guy at the Ivy Bar on a Saturday night. Each jacket was $315, and it would have cost about $100 in alterations. I held off.

While I was there, I got speaking to Stephanie – who has been working at Herringbone for 7 years. I asked her about Ethan Newton, Guido, Patrick Johnson and her sister’s fiancé, Thomas, who runs a blog called HespokeShespoke. She knows them all. She spoke highly of Ethan and his shoe polishing skills. I didn’t know he was responsible for Herringbone’s MTM service. That is how he must have met Phat Guido; through Herringbone. She says they were in the same ‘watch club’ amongst other things. PG got her tick of approval for style. Apparently Ethan bought almost every C&J shoe Herringbone stocked. She also raved on about how good Patrick Johnson looks in suits; which sought of pissed me off. A lot was said about Joshua leaving the business, Matt Jensen starting MJ Bale and the buyout of Herringbone from a few years back. A lot was said. It was the hand gestures that mimicked a plane heading towards the ground that said the most. Anyway, it was a good crash course into the history of some of the ‘Styleforum Elite’.

Afterwards, I met Markus at Myer to try on the P Johnson jacket. Markus was sensational to deal with: he wasn’t pushy at all, he was relaxed and he was honest. He claims that the jacket hadn’t been worn outside the house. Considering the thread that holds the double vents closed was still attached on both sides, I believed him. I did Rob’s test of checking the boutonniere hole – it was open and there is a thread to hold a flower in place. Tom was the one that commissioned the jacket, not Patrick. Perhaps that is why there are 3 buttons, not 4. The buttons are working buttons – which are quite nice. On the inside of the jacket there is a red monogram ‘MW’ which is Markus’s initials.

The shoulders, chest, waist, sleeves and the fabric at the back of the jacket are perfect. However, it was too long by about an inch. In other words, it was perfect, except for length. I paid $250 to Markus and went to my tailor who measured the jacket to make sure that it would be absolutely fine to take it up an inch. There is nothing worse than having besom pockets that are too close to the bottom of the jacket. I am pretty lucky because the besom pockets are quite high and shortening the bottom of the jacket does not affect the proportion of the jacket. To shorten, it costs $50. So all up I paid $300 for a jacket that I like, that fits well, and feels great.

On a side note, I was asking my tailor about the 3 jackets I have brought him over the last month. I didn’t tell him it was a P Johnson jacket. He said, “The elite suit jacket is very average quality. The MJ Bale suit is about 10x better than the Elite suit jacket. This jacket (P Johnson jacket) is about 20x better than the MJ Bale Jacket”. He pointed to the lining on the sleeve, the shoulder, the inside of the jacket and said that it must be made by a single tailor in Europe – “true MTM”. He held up a $2,000 Bagozza jacket and claimed that the P Johnson jacket was a slightly better finish. I questioned him and he defiantly claimed that tailoring is his profession and life’s work, and that he can tell straight away whether something is quality or not. So I guess there is a logical reason after all, as to why P Johnson is more expensive than MJ Bale or Elite Suits. I was really hoping 1-2 months ago, I could get P Johnson quality at Elite Suit pricing. The world just doesn’t work like that unfortunately.

I could have popped into the Herringbone warehouse, but I didn’t have time, and I assume that their would fit pretty similar to the 2 jackets I tried on at Macquarie Place.

Anyway, my experience laid out for any new young fellas, like me, that are thinking of buying their first jacket or suit.

Thanks for the feedback Michael - and thank goodness that our measurements matched up well -

If anyone is interested in PJOHNSON Cotton pants with no loop holes (black, navy, blue, khaki) - my waist size is 31

and/or size Small PJohnson shirts (denim blue, black and white check, standard Ice Blue, White, Blue and White striped).. hit me up..

And yes, Myers change-rooms was a good place to sell.. haha

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The jacket I get back next friday. I could have had it wednesday, but I told him I want a reall good job done, so I will give him extra time. It was just the jacket for $300. Considering it is only the standard finish, I wonder what the hand finish must be like!

You are welcome to observe my hand finished glamour from afar Mondays through Fridays and any given Sunday ... your eyelids will peel from your face in awe of its sartorial aura

drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif

eightace

Reaction score
So here's something interesting.

A couple of months ago, I visited P.Lal and bought a couple of pairs of shoes, being C&J Connaughts and a pair that were on the "Cheaney seconds" shelf. Here's a couple of pics of the latter:

The SA that sold them told me they were "Cheaney samples from about 2008."

Well, the other day I got curious and did a Google search for Cheaney monkstraps. I couldn't find anything that looked similar. What I did find were these:

They're the Edward Green Stowe, made on the 888 last, according to my research.

So, here's a pic of the inside markings of my shoes:

888 definitely gets a mention, as you can see.

So, my question is, have I picked up a pair of EG's for the bargain price of 699MYR? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can shed any light on this.

Cheers,

Eightace

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woops, sorry forgot to write that I'm looking for a mechanical watch (the windy ones); my dad broke his really old one 5 years ago and I've been wanting to get him one for Christmas.
EDIT:
Thanks you guys for the auto suggestions; if I end up getting an auto I'll get the one Paisley found that;s exactly the type I'm looking for; though if it were mechanical than would be even better. Mum said it's perfect too
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

First sorry to flood this page with so many of my posts...but here goes
My budget is less than $350, no preference when it comes to old and new. Journeyman that's a great watch.
I think I just found it on paisley's website under the name 'Khaki Field' the only difference I notice is that there is no date on that one compared to your's 'Mechanical Officer' (model difference I presume?).

Thanks for your patience :)

EDIT: And in other news I realised there was a hyper link function
fing02[1].gif

EDIT AGAIN: Fxh-those Casio's sure aren't hard to come by, that's the digital watch my dad uses
biggrin.gif
. I think he koped it at one of the mainstream jewellers (Prouds etc.)
Here you go Rob!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads