Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmills

jmills Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

You very possibly could have. However, there *might* be another explanation.

I know that Cheaney used to make some shoes on other makers' lasts. We were talking about the Church's 73 here coincidentally a little while back. I remember Cheaney made some models on the "2003" last which was actually the Church's 73. So they do have a history of sharing lasts with other makers.

The 3 in front of the 888 may indicate a Cheaney model on the EG 888 last? I have no way of knowing for sure, but it *could* be the case that Cheaney made some special order shoes for a particular retailer, and used EG's last for the shoe.

Some of the other members more familiar with Cheaney might have concrete info for you rather than speculation. You might want to post this one to the rest of the forum as the knowledge out there is probably superior to what it is in here on such matters. You might also contact Cheaney's direct - generally the Poms are a pretty helpful bunch and will answer your queries about their shoes.

Let us know if you ever find out.

And nice shoes by the way. fxh will approve of the high buckle position.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Gentlemen, here is today's outfit.

[​IMG]

And a close-up of the tie - it's quite matt in real life, and not as shiny as it appears in the first photo:
    [​IMG]

And yet another close-up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details:
    - Borrelli suit in "virgin wool" - quite an open weave, very light and breathes well;
    - Borrelli shirt, white with a fine, light blue grid check;
    - Bulgari tie, orange with small ducks;
    - Kent Wang pocket square in white with blue edging; and
    - Berluti side-buckle single monks with toe medallion.

4. Prince of Paisley

I'll take your word for it!

5. jmills

jmills Senior member

Also, some pictures of the Edward Green Stowe show the details written on a window in the lining:

[​IMG]

It would be nice if they turn out to be EG though, I'm thinking about a pair of the Dover for my next shoe purchase.

6. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

wow those shoes are interesting (in a good way)

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I thought that I'd include a couple of additional photos of the Berluti single monks, as they're lovely shoes (IMHO):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd been searching for a pair of side buckle monks for ages, ever since seeing the Edward Green for RL Purple Label "Grant".

The Grants are identical to the EG Stowe (that eightace may have unexpectedly obtained from P.Lal!), except that the Stowe has a plain toe, whereas the Grant has a floating medallion on the toe.

When I was in Japan some years back, I visited the RL Mansion in Harajuku and was able to try on a pair of Grants. They were beautiful but, not surprisingly, the largest size that they had in stock was a bit too small for me. Searches on SF and on eBay didn't reveal any Grants in my size.

I subsequently ventured into the Berluti boutique in Ginza in Tokyo and found the above pair of side buckle monks. Whilst they weren't cheap, they fit beautifully and were precisely what I wanted. After some vacillation, I gave into temptation. Whilst they were certainly not cheap, they are beautiful shoes and they fit perfectly, too.

8. Prince of Paisley

That tie!

[​IMG]

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

J - Man - you in Real Estate with that tie?

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It is very orange, but isn't quite that bright in real life!

11. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

guys,

I just received a Owen & James - The White shirt (15.5) - unfortunately it doesn't fit me well as i need a smaller size. I'm about to send it back to rob. if anyone wants it off me let me please let me know Monday.

on a side note Im really impressed with the quality of the shirt and styling - Absolutely LOVE the collar on it.

Cheers

12. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

OKcool

im not great at that price point (im not trying to be a snob .. i am just not as well versed in this range - ive had a 1940's rolex and omega that would have fit this bill but would be about $1-2k)

In my limited wisdom these came to mind.

Timex Originals
    [​IMG]

Classic Dress
    [​IMG]

Or camper

[​IMG]

Otherwise have a look through all of Gnomon Watches - most are german, military inspired http://www.gnomonwatches.com

13. jmills

jmills Senior member

Mr Porter has some nice Timex / J Crew collab watches as well, including one that I spotted on PG's blog, so it should be approved for SF group think purposes.

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

" P Johnson, in his youtube videos, looks so damn relaxed in his suit to the point where it doesn't even look like he knows that he is a wearing suit. The frustrating thing is that it makes the suit look even better! How can attitude make something look better?"

Grasshopper what you seay is very true. The secret for what it's worth is self confidence and inner belief. Or as a Greek philosopher whose name i forget said 'is work your life or is life your work'

It all comes down to style and the personal ability to pull it off.

15. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

i agree - the more natural and comfortable you look the more "real" and convincing/believable you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.