• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmills

Reaction score
Still better than machine finishing...
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif

rotflmao.gif

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here's something interesting.

A couple of months ago, I visited P.Lal and bought a couple of pairs of shoes, being C&J Connaughts and a pair that were on the "Cheaney seconds" shelf. Here's a couple of pics of the latter:

The SA that sold them told me they were "Cheaney samples from about 2008."

Well, the other day I got curious and did a Google search for Cheaney monkstraps. I couldn't find anything that looked similar. What I did find were these:

They're the Edward Green Stowe, made on the 888 last, according to my research.

So, here's a pic of the inside markings of my shoes:

888 definitely gets a mention, as you can see.

So, my question is, have I picked up a pair of EG's for the bargain price of 699MYR? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can shed any light on this.

Cheers,

Eightace

You very possibly could have. However, there *might* be another explanation.

I know that Cheaney used to make some shoes on other makers' lasts. We were talking about the Church's 73 here coincidentally a little while back. I remember Cheaney made some models on the "2003" last which was actually the Church's 73. So they do have a history of sharing lasts with other makers.

The 3 in front of the 888 may indicate a Cheaney model on the EG 888 last? I have no way of knowing for sure, but it *could* be the case that Cheaney made some special order shoes for a particular retailer, and used EG's last for the shoe.

Some of the other members more familiar with Cheaney might have concrete info for you rather than speculation. You might want to post this one to the rest of the forum as the knowledge out there is probably superior to what it is in here on such matters. You might also contact Cheaney's direct - generally the Poms are a pretty helpful bunch and will answer your queries about their shoes.

Let us know if you ever find out.

And nice shoes by the way. fxh will approve of the high buckle position.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, here is today's outfit.

And a close-up of the tie - it's quite matt in real life, and not as shiny as it appears in the first photo:

And yet another close-up:

Details:
- Borrelli suit in "virgin wool" - quite an open weave, very light and breathes well;
- Borrelli shirt, white with a fine, light blue grid check;
- Bulgari tie, orange with small ducks;
- Kent Wang pocket square in white with blue edging; and
- Berluti side-buckle single monks with toe medallion.

jmills

Reaction score
Also, some pictures of the Edward Green Stowe show the details written on a window in the lining:

It would be nice if they turn out to be EG though, I'm thinking about a pair of the Dover for my next shoe purchase.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

And a close-up of the tie - it's quite matt in real life, and not as shiny as it appears in the first photo:

Details:
- Borrelli suit in "virgin wool" - quite an open weave, very light and breathes well;
wow those shoes are interesting (in a good way)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that I'd include a couple of additional photos of the Berluti single monks, as they're lovely shoes (IMHO):

I'd been searching for a pair of side buckle monks for ages, ever since seeing the Edward Green for RL Purple Label "Grant".

The Grants are identical to the EG Stowe (that eightace may have unexpectedly obtained from P.Lal!), except that the Stowe has a plain toe, whereas the Grant has a floating medallion on the toe.

When I was in Japan some years back, I visited the RL Mansion in Harajuku and was able to try on a pair of Grants. They were beautiful but, not surprisingly, the largest size that they had in stock was a bit too small for me. Searches on SF and on eBay didn't reveal any Grants in my size.

I subsequently ventured into the Berluti boutique in Ginza in Tokyo and found the above pair of side buckle monks. Whilst they weren't cheap, they fit beautifully and were precisely what I wanted. After some vacillation, I gave into temptation. Whilst they were certainly not cheap, they are beautiful shoes and they fit perfectly, too.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Details:

That tie!

CSi_Miami_sunglasses.gif

g-banger

Reaction score
guys,

I just received a Owen & James - The White shirt (15.5) - unfortunately it doesn't fit me well as i need a smaller size. I'm about to send it back to rob. if anyone wants it off me let me please let me know Monday.

on a side note Im really impressed with the quality of the shirt and styling - Absolutely LOVE the collar on it.

Cheers

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here you go Rob!
OKcool

im not great at that price point (im not trying to be a snob .. i am just not as well versed in this range - ive had a 1940's rolex and omega that would have fit this bill but would be about $1-2k)

In my limited wisdom these came to mind.

Timex Originals

Classic Dress

Or camper

Otherwise have a look through all of Gnomon Watches - most are german, military inspired http://www.gnomonwatches.com

jmills

Reaction score
Mr Porter has some nice Timex / J Crew collab watches as well, including one that I spotted on PG's blog, so it should be approved for SF group think purposes.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
" P Johnson, in his youtube videos, looks so damn relaxed in his suit to the point where it doesn't even look like he knows that he is a wearing suit. The frustrating thing is that it makes the suit look even better! How can attitude make something look better?"

Grasshopper what you seay is very true. The secret for what it's worth is self confidence and inner belief. Or as a Greek philosopher whose name i forget said 'is work your life or is life your work'

It all comes down to style and the personal ability to pull it off.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
" P Johnson, in his youtube videos, looks so damn relaxed in his suit to the point where it doesn't even look like he knows that he is a wearing suit. The frustrating thing is that it makes the suit look even better! How can attitude make something look better?"
Grasshopper what you seay is very true. The secret for what it's worth is self confidence and inner belief. Or as a Greek philosopher whose name i forget said 'is work your life or is life your work'
It all comes down to style and the personal ability to pull it off.
i agree - the more natural and comfortable you look the more "real" and convincing/believable you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics