• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually scrap all that, the Tom Ford in Quantum of Solace was apparently midnight blue. Just not as obvious as the one in the Skyfall poster.

I had no idea either. Thanks for informing us.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Toley on Bourke St, formerly/still Strickland & Sons has their usually $100 discount on their Non-Iron shirts.
$169 -> $69 and $149 -> $49.

They had a bunch of other stuff, the real exciting things were the Fox umbrellas that were selling.
In what must be a first for an Australian retailer, they are selling the umbrellas for less than the cost to get direct from the U.K.

The base model was $125.
This umbrella is normally £60 + £40 shipping. Add to the fact that Fox refuse to remove the VAT and it comes out about $25 cheaper.

Plus, the guy in the, tiny, store is super helpful and has that old English dandy vibe.
Oh is this the nice old guy with the short grey hair, slightly balding, probably about 60 and softly spoken? If it's him, he's awesome. Had a good chat about suits and the decline of dress standards in Australia with him. Mentioned I was going to Thailand and he joking told me to avoid the ladyboys and not get into too much trouble! Never had that level of banter with a shopkeeper in Australia before. Really good. Must have spent a good hour in there having a no-pressure browse. Worth a look during a lunch break.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He used to come in to Robby Ingham and buy Paul Smith suits off me when I worked there. Almost always black. Quite a huge man too.

I can't help but think the preference for black (or midnight) suits is a TV requirement. More contrast (like those silent movies where they painted their lips blue).

Nothing worse than someone on the telly in a beautiful PoW check that looks like a strobing mess and induces epilepsy in the viewers.

Terminator

Reaction score

George isn't taking outside alterations at the moment, and I have a suspicion he won't be taking any at all, unless you are very friendly with the Richards boys. I'm not sure who else to trust in Brisbane, maybe Brisbane City Alterations? Whatever you do, don't go to Tik Tak. Tess has also done a decent job of things I have had altered in the past.

Thanks Naka. I have used Tess in the past but think this type of job is too much for her. I haven't used Brisbane City Alterations before (although my girlfriend has) and think it'd be too much for them too. In fact, Ethan doesn't recommend that I get a new buttonhole cut anywhere in Australia, as usually it will be done by machine. I might save the job for when I have a good stretch of time in the UK.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will slow some of youse down a bit
---
The buzz surrounding parcel locker systems is heating up, with a company led by entrepreneur Mark Bouris now securing two key partnerships in its attempt to roll out the lockers after it failed to win a contract with Australia Post.
It's a timely expansion. More businesses are becoming fed up with the huge number of personal parcels being sent through their corporate mail rooms, as employees are choosing to receive products at work rather than home.
For many businesses, including Telstra, it's become such a big problem that managers are cracking down on the practice.
"We use the mail room predominantly for business purposes, and if we identify people abusing the system we just make sure they know what our policy is," a spokesperson told SmartCompany.
"We're updating our acceptable use policy to make sure employees know what they should be using the mail room for."

Click spoiler for complete article
Fairfax has also reported other businesses, including NAB, have started limiting the number of parcels being sent through the mail room.

"At least 60% of all courier items currently received are not work-related, which equates to around 50 pieces of mail each day," the head of the company's wealth division reportedly told staff in an email.
"This is unacceptable and I ask that all future personal items are directed to your home address."

This overflow is exactly why Telstra says it will welcome any chance to ease its parcel burdens.

"We understand the difficulties of having to receive packages, so we'd welcome anything that will make it easier," the spokesperson said.

The situation in the company mail room bodes well for TZ. This morning it announced two new agreements with eCommerce logistics and delivery companies Temando and ParcelPoint to help roll out its parcel locker strategy.

Executive chairman Mark Bouris, who stepped in to lead the company after it lost the Australia Post contract, says the partnerships are the "first of several enabling partnerships we are pursuing".

"Last mile fulfilment is a cause of frustration for carriers, retailers and consumers and ParcelPoint is at the forefront of building solutions to address this issue. As we rollout our network of more convenient parcel pick-up locations, we see that lockers will form a key part of our proposition."

TZ isn't the only company which has spotted the opportunity. Last month Toll announced a partnership that will allow consumers to pick up products from Victorian newsagents.

Australia Post is also working on its own parcel locker strategy. The idea has become more popular as "failed delivery" becomes more commonplace – workers simply aren't at home to receive parcels during business hours and have to wait until the weekend, clogging up post office mail rooms.

Plestor

Reaction score
George isn't taking outside alterations at the moment, and I have a suspicion he won't be taking any at all, unless you are very friendly with the Richards boys. I'm not sure who else to trust in Brisbane, maybe Brisbane City Alterations? Whatever you do, don't go to Tik Tak. Tess has also done a decent job of things I have had altered in the past.

Thanks Naka. I have used Tess in the past but think this type of job is too much for her. I haven't used Brisbane City Alterations before (although my girlfriend has) and think it'd be too much for them too. In fact, Ethan doesn't recommend that I get a new buttonhole cut anywhere in Australia, as usually it will be done by machine. I might save the job for when I have a good stretch of time in the UK.

I've had fronts recut at tess fwiw, although Neyus & I pinned it all up prior.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
This will slow some of youse down a bit...

I think all this noise from employers is a bit of BS really. I work in a 36 level building, with let's just say 150 people on each floor. So that's approximately 5,400 people in the building. In the lobby there are about 4 people on the concierge desk collecting parcels and then sending emails out to everybody with deliveries.

If I want to collect deliveries at home, I have to take time off regardless whether I have to sign for it, or collect it from the Post Office during business hours. Let's say its an hour I have to take off, and apply that to the whole building; that's potentially 5,400 hours of lost productivity for the employer. Most deliveries in my building occur around 10am (Australia Post delivereies, I am assuming), and then some dregs during the day (couriers, I assume).

Wouldn't it make sense to throw on a couple more staff on the concierge desk even if it's only part time during the morning peak?

/end rant

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think all this noise from employers is a bit of BS really. I work in a 36 level building, with let's just say 150 people on each floor. So that's approximately 5,400 people in the building. In the lobby there are about 4 people on the concierge desk collecting parcels and then sending emails out to everybody with deliveries.
If I want to collect deliveries at home, I have to take time off regardless whether I have to sign for it, or collect it from the Post Office during business hours. Let's say its an hour I have to take off, and apply that to the whole building; that's potentially 5,400 hours of lost productivity for the employer. Most deliveries in my building occur around 10am (Australia Post delivereies, I am assuming), and then some dregs during the day (couriers, I assume).
Wouldn't it make sense to throw on a couple more staff on the concierge desk even if it's only part time during the morning peak?
/end rant

As an employer, no, it would not make sense. Why should I pay for your private activities? Can I use your garage as my warehouse? This would reduce my costs, and will result in lower prices for you.

Modern day self entitlement attitudes are getting out of hand.

/end of MY rant/

kueller

Reaction score
taken out of context, yeah it looks bad.
however some extra parcels for the receptionists to collect every day isn't too difficult to manage.
modern day self entitlement, perhaps, but it was bound to happen eventually with globalisation.
easy practical way to improve morale & reduce absenteeism (turn up at work and you get to collect your ****) without much cost.
bad move on telstra's part imo.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

/end rant

To be honest if my work say I can't get anything personal delivered to work , I will just take sick day to collect my *hits. I also work at a 40 level building. There is a mail room at the loading dock with 3-4 staffs. Don't think its that much of extra work for them. I do see a lot of asos bags there every time I go down to mail room ! I just hope all the people in my building don't get crazy and start forwarding personal items to work. I also have a po box 2 minutes from work. But fedex/dhl don't deliver to po boxes and many us sties only use dhl/fedex . Anyway will have to wait and see ......

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

taken out of context, yeah it looks bad.
however some extra parcels for the receptionists to collect every day isn't too difficult to manage.
modern day self entitlement, perhaps, but it was bound to happen eventually with globalisation.
easy practical way to improve morale & reduce absenteeism (turn up at work and you get to collect your ****) without much cost.
bad move on telstra's part imo.

Have you had the chance to observe or manage a corporation's mail room?
Yeah, right, like the self entitled will quit their jobs en masse because of mail room deprivation. The ones that lose morale over this are exactly the ones I like to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads