1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Sorry post-modernism is sooo last century.

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Also guys coming in from newcastle to get some MJ Bale suits tomorrow - what store would you recommend for the most stock/biggest range?

3. bjd85

bjd85 Member

Massive long shot, but...

Is there much demand for Uniqlo clothes here or on eBay?

I recently bought a bunch of stuff from there thinking that I'd measured myself to be a medium, but turns out I'm a small. I bought them through Price USA, so returns will be difficult, if not impossible, and also expensive.

I know my chances aren't great given that this is SF, but is anyone here interested in taking these off my hands for what I paid minus a reasonable discount? I bought some V-neck sweaters/cardigans in various colours and three shirts, all in medium size. If anyone's interested I can give full details/photos.

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Not me, but I'm sure there will be interested parties here. Uniqlo has a good reputation.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

I wouldn't be so sure. They wont be in business. They'll be retired late 60s or early 70s - sitting in sheds. Growing their own veggies. You'd have to ask around and be genuinely interested. I'm not saying they can make you a pair of meerkats or a PJohnson suit - but they will know stuff and have workshops and tools.

I'll bet that once upon a time there was good tailors and shoemakers in Mildura - most even smaller, and closer to civilization, country towns had a tailor. It was mainly Fletcher Jones (ironically perhaps) that put them all out of business around the 70s. Mildura was a big important market town a long way from anywhere. There would have been artisans and craftspeople for a lot of things. And lots of migrants.

6. lennier

lennier Senior member

Finally got around to putting my head in to M.J. Bale's new Melbourne store, and lo their jacket cuts fit me at least as well as the HB Osaka cut did! Quite happy to have a decent OTR option available to me now. Chatted with Paulo for quite a while and he seems both nice and knowledgeable.

7. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Really? I am fairly sure mine are Riviera v-neck t-shirts and haven't had any problems but I might be wrong. Oh well.

Funny, I was in yesterday and met with Tom (yes, another Melbourne menswear gent named Tom!), who was fantastic to deal with. You hit the nail on its head about the fit, I tried on one of the fully canvased suit jackets and it would require probably no alterations for me.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  8. crinklecut

crinklecut Senior member

Yes, mine are the grey Riviera v-necks. I'm glad your experience is better than mine, anyway.

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'd be interested to hear what you think?

In general anything that breathes a bit is better than something that doesn't.

I also think that theres a temperature (28C + or something - for me) but possibly over 30C for most people where it doesn't make much bloody difference what you wear - its hot.

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I want to visit too as it will be nice to have a good OTR option....though worried I might give into temptation. Wardrobe beats wallet too often. Still always nice to browse good products, even if only for ideas.

11. lennier

lennier Senior member

Their unstructured jackets were also very nice. Less structure generally means better fit on me and these were pretty spot on.

12. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

On long sleeve polos.... I have been very happy with the Herringbone ones - and you can sometimes get them cheap at their outlet.

13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Sounds promising. Damn.

14. Romp

Romp Senior member

Yes new loafers on the way too :)

15. Romp

Romp Senior member

I wasnt a fan of KW polos. Size and fabric were inconsistent between colourways.
    they good but tad thin and floppy

Ive tried making our own polos locally for O&J but the pique cotton is bloody hard to get decent fabric.
    just like suit cloth, shirting fabrics come in different "weights" - I tend to prefer twills that are light weight because 1) easy to iron and 2) cool

im not a poplin fan, the weave is too tight. Broadcloth can be flannel-thick in some instances too and no good.

16. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Tom was the one with longer brown hair, about 25ish, yeah? I had a good chat to him a fortnight ago at the Melbourne store - spoke for a good hour, and I walked out with three shirts for $200. Brilliant construction, great fabrics, and a top bloke!

17. Naka

Naka Senior member

I don't really see how the cut would make too much of a difference between jeans, it really depends on the overall silhouette of what you're wearing. I'm on the slimmer side and tend to wear slim clothing, so I wear slim jeans. If you are a big dude and you wear chunky jackets/knits then there's nothing wrong with straight cut jeans. Please not that straight =/= baggy.

18. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Cross post from new thread, just because I know a lot of you have been to Japan:

I am looking to buy a Rimowa case. It's ubiquitous here, and that combined with the haul that I want to bring home has led me to give in to my urge.

Is there any price variation between different stores, or am I going to overpay regardless?

I'm thinking one of the mid-sized Topas four-wheelers. In Kyoto today but heading to Osaka tomorrow then Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Kagoshima. The sooner the better, but I'll hold out if I can save a bit.

Domo arigato gozaimasu for your assistance!

19. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Just got a pair of 3Sixteens (the SL-100X). By all accounts they don't stretch very much so I went with my trouser size. They feel stiff and tight at the moment but I expect them to get more comfortable as time goes by.

Cuffed or uncuffed? Hemmed or unhemmed?

Do you guys have any preference?

20. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am sorry to say that...you can't [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.