• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great rant, but not you I'm sorry. This guy 'Tweedy' - http://www.styleforum.net/t/285173/harris-tweed-jacket

All he posts is tweed after tweed after tweed

Im sure yours was much tweedier and swollen than his!

Thats would be me with the vintage tweed jacket. It was a Brooks Old school swelled edges soft shoulder jacket. You can’t get them new and its hard to get them old as well. I sold it for what it cost me. It is better made and better material than most of the stuff around nowadays. You might not like it or want to wear it but you can’t deny its good representative of a certain style. I don't see what the problem is.
I'm here because I like clothes. I like good clothes.
Like most people here, or anywhere, every $100 I spend on clothes is $100 I can’t spend on something else. Like a donation to a homeless charity, like looking after a disabled child, like supporting elderly parents, or paying trade people what they are owed and on time, or supporting a refugee through university. Just some of the things my family does.
I’ve had bespoke clothes made for me, bespoke shoes. I wear shoes I’ve had for 20 years. I occasionally buy new shoes. I occasionally buy second hand shoes from overseas and locally. I buy second hand jackets and suits from overseas and locally. I buy new clothes from overseas and locally. I don’t need to buy stuff all the time. Mainly ‘cos I have a lot of stuff. I support local tailors with new clothes and alterations. I used to support local shoemakers. Now I support talented cobblers. I give clothes away to people I like. I help people find cheap clothes and dress acceptably for a job - people who have never owned a suit.
An interest in clothes means an interest in the occasions that require them. And the meaning of clothes. Clothes are not a-contextual therefore the history of clothes and perceived taboos in clothes are important. Having fun is important – being inclusive is important. I’ve much more to say but the TdeF is on live. See ya later – more later.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't suppose this was trying to park at Katrina's? Had the exact same thing happened to me parking in Lt Bourke St while going there a few weeks ago.

Nope

It was at a chain of alterations shop in the suburbs. I simply forgot there was a parking meter and dashed across the road and when I got back 5 mins later i had a ticket. It made me grumpy. I went to alterations shop instead of my "Mystery Tailor" as I thought they might be more au fait with jeans and even possibly cheaper but certainly quicker. Not sure that any of that is true ..............

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you ever thought that some people earn so much money that spending it doesn't phase them? I'm not one of them, but these people do exist. It's a bit like a Homeless guy laughing at me for buying a Coke Zero from David Jones, when I can buy a 2.0L bottle from the Supermarket for the same amount of money. I don't buy Coke Zero from David Jones because it makes me feel special. I buy it from there because it is convenient, and the surcharge doesn't phase me. There are people who buy clothes in the same manner.

Quar - I agree - I have friends who still buy their Churches shoes from McLoud - because they like the service and can try the shoes on. The $200 - $300 difference is too much for me. I sometimes walk up around teh corner and buy a cup of coffee for $4 - when I can, arguably, make a better one at home for a cost of around $0.20c. I often have a cup of coffee at Pellegrinis next to American Tailors - its the best place in Melbourne toe have a coffee - it isn't the best coffee in Melbourne.

Our Australian Members Thread has a very strong thrifty and penny pinching tone to it. It comes across in nearly every page. I recently put up For Sale a pair of Vass Shoes worn once, for around $350. I paid $750 for them new. I had multiple Australian Members PM me offering me $320, or $310 shipped. How ridiculous. I deliberately priced them below value to get rid of them quickly, and yet Members still tried to extort me for another 20-30 dollars.

I know you don't need me to tell you this. Something on sale is worth what you can get for it. Something like VASS has a limited market - you may have hold on a while to get what you want. Offering something up - you have to accept that there are people who will make an offer. Sometimes its almost insulting, but its just the to and fro. At one stage many years ago I made my living buying and selling stuff. Large amounts and large things. Sometimes people would agree on a price then on delivery try to argue me down, after I had driven 200Ks in a large truck. A sense of humour helps and a willingness to drive back without a sale if needed.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fxh in an unusually serious mood tonight...

Any of you fellas know anywhere where I can get a nice parka? Might need to take one up to the snow. Looking at one of those North Face ones (kids XL) @ $199 from Costco. Adult sizes start at M, and thats way too big there. Not sure if that is cheap or not for something like that.

Last edited:

quar

Reaction score

I know you don't need me to tell you this. Something on sale is worth what you can get for it. Something like VASS has a limited market - you may have hold on a while to get what you want. Offering something up - you have to accept that there are people who will make an offer. Sometimes its almost insulting, but its just the to and fro. At one stage many years ago I made my living buying and selling stuff. Large amounts and large things. Sometimes people would agree on a price then on delivery try to argue me down, after I had driven 200Ks in a large truck. A sense of humour helps and a willingness to drive back without a sale if needed.

They sold very quickly. I didn't have trouble selling them at all.

I was offended, because I had already listed them well below their value, only to have a few Australian Members attempt to low-ball me even further.

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that.
I just take offense to Members here thinking that just because someone buys something in person in a bricks and mortar store in Australia, that they are attempting to show off in some perverted way. I think a more likely explanation is that the thought of saving $100-$300 isn't important enough for them to go to the effort of finding a better price online.

I agree completely. Surely buying expensive shoes etc. when you clearly can't afford it is the worst kind of showing off because it's an image built on a lie?

If you openly say "$100 is a lot for some people", I would suggest having your jacket taken in by a quarter of an inch shouldn't be among your top priorities. Neither should saving up for your first pair of Vass or Carmina (or whatever the brand of the month is), which you buy on deep discount only to realise they are too big/small but you are too cheap to return them or buy them in a real store so you have them stretched/wear really thick socks (OTC of course) until you finally can't take the pain and decide to sell them in "slightly worn condition".

Then of course there are those with means that go from dad jeans and coogi sweaters to singlehandedly supporting [insert clothing or shoe company name].com in a matter of months, but clearly haven't got a clue about how to put an outfit together (no, that flouro pocket square doesn't go with that burgundy knit tie try hard!)

Money is a necessary, not a sufficient, condition to being stylish. Going out and buying a heap of crap based on the hype cycle of a clothing forum will automatically have you looking like an overdressed misfit.

/rant.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An interest in clothes means an interest in the occasions that require them. And the meaning of clothes. Clothes are not a-contextual therefore the history of clothes and perceived taboos in clothes are important. Having fun is important – being inclusive is important. I’ve much more to say but the TdeF is on live. See ya later – more later.

This is it in a nutshell. When I was at The Treasury ties were de rigueur at ACPB forget it. PM&C you would not be seen dead without one and if your at DWEER, well the less said the better. As for private sector well when I was teaching it a was variation on culturally creative black, I think also being in the Rural hinterlands I still wanted to feel urbane.

Clothing is a form of visual code it allows us to project who we are and how we perceive our social self to the world. We chose our dress to express our personality and it also states our confidence in how our attire allows us to navigate the social world. And there are those who we mix with both professionally and socially who understand the codes we apply and get what message we are sending to the world. And yes I tend to notice a well dressed individual if they happen to walk past me on the street. We are social animals and if you need a good laugh have a read of The Suit A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style, think Art of War for the corporate wardrobe.

As for penny pinching well yes I expect value for money, if I buy a pair of shoes I expect them to last via rotation for at least ten years if not more. My father adhered to the idea that a good pair of boots should last you twenty years and pic below taken I think in 48 shows him wearing the same pair of boots he had in the mid thirties, admittedly the were in the cupboard from 39 to 45. The shot was taken outside the Commonwealth Bank in Pitt St Sydney.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a bit more to it. In general in Australia we've been seen as a market which will put up with higher prices.
We are charged more for software - which is a digital download from the same servers in USA - which no extra cost to providers. Digital downloads of music have also been at higher prices for Australian customers at no extra cost to providers. So the bricks and mortar, lower population and vast shipping distances don't account for the differences here.
EDIT - added Senate Inquiry
A new parliamentary inquiry will be looking into whether Australians pay more for IT software and hardware than consumers in overseas markets.
The House Infrastructure and Communications Committee will examine the impacts of the prices consumers, businesses and governments pay for the inquiry referred by the Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator the Hon Stephen Conroy.
Committee chair, Nick Champion, said they have broad bi-partisan agreement to scrutinise IT price discrimination in Australia.
“The committee will look into the costs of computer hardware, software, downloads and e-books to name a few,” Mr Champion said. “We look forward to hearing from the companies who set these prices and the consumers and businesses that purchase their products.”
Member for Chifley, Mr Ed Husic stressed the economic importance of the issue and said that from the inquiry they will be able to make recommendations for the market to operate in a way that is fair to businesses and to consumers.
“The internet itself has been estimated to add between 50 billion and potentially up 70 billion to our economic growth,” Mr Husic said. “As many jobs are created as a result of the internet in Australia as they are by mining. Within business these days IT is a major capital and operating expense.”
While Mrs Jane Prentice expressed concern for the price disparities faced by consumers, noting the example “why in this day and age does it cost us more to download an Australian artist on iTunes than it does in the US? That’s the sort of thing we need to get to the bottom of.”
Deputy chair of the committee, Mr Paul Neville said the inquiry will help to “flush all the issues into the open” and make the market more transparent.
“We’ve become any easy mark in Australia,” Mr Neville said. “I hope we can drill down to the wholesale levels to find out what real costs are and come out with a report that hopefully will be a benchmark around which the parliament can base their future work.

Adobe Creative Suite in Australia currently costs $3,908 when buying from the Adobe online store, but if you enter your Country as the USA the price suddenly drops to $2,599. The only problem is that Adobe will not ship a low cost version to Australia. The Professional version of Microsoft Office can be purchased from the Microsoft store in the USA for $349. The same software purchased via the Microsoft online store in Australia is $849, some 145 per cent over the US price.

Thanks for the great info.
ps** I thought jcrew was the only bastard that is currently trying to screw us Australians !

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imo, bontoni is more about looks than quality in comparison to their competitors.

there was a rather intensive discussion a while ago. actually, i forgot in which thread.

Ummm, where did you get this idea? Goodyear welted, quality leather, beautiful lasts. A forum member rated it near the top of most metrics, including value/money.

Plestor

Reaction score

imo, bontoni is more about looks than quality in comparison to their competitors.

there was a rather intensive discussion a while ago. actually, i forgot in which thread. Ummm, where did you get this idea? Goodyear welted, quality leather, beautiful lasts. A forum member rated it near the top of most metrics, including value/money.
Gemming. :foo: But seriously, low SPI for one. Lots of fashion-y shoes. Itally. Sole not cut as close as serious Northapmton makers. Generally worse finish in other areas. Disagree with not being stylish on a budget, you just need to buy less clothes... Sticky pricing issues would be my first thought. Re: Australian prices.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree completely. Surely buying expensive shoes etc. when you clearly can't afford it is the worst kind of showing off because it's an image built on a lie?
If you openly say "$100 is a lot for some people", I would suggest having your jacket taken in by a quarter of an inch shouldn't be among your top priorities. Neither should saving up for your first pair of Vass or Carmina (or whatever the brand of the month is), which you buy on deep discount only to realise they are too big/small but you are too cheap to return them or buy them in a real store so you have them stretched/wear really thick socks (OTC of course) until you finally can't take the pain and decide to sell them in "slightly worn condition".
Then of course there are those with means that go from dad jeans and coogi sweaters to singlehandedly supporting [insert clothing or shoe company name].com in a matter of months, but clearly haven't got a clue about how to put an outfit together (no, that flouro pocket square doesn't go with that burgundy knit tie try hard!)
Money is a necessary, not a sufficient, condition to being stylish. Going out and buying a heap of crap based on the hype cycle of a clothing forum will automatically have you looking like an overdressed misfit.
/rant.

lol

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
update: ive got brand new kent wang polos:
1x short sleeve grey XL
1x white long sleeve XL
1x navy long sleeve XL

I bought because I read they fit extremely tight... while this is true these were still big on me. 39neck/100chest/6ft/82kg

Ill take $50 for the short sleeve and $65 on the long sleeves and ill pay the postage.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(no, that flouro pocket square doesn't go with that burgundy knit tie try hard!)

There you go, the clothing simile to drinking Bin 389 with poached live abalone slices!

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
(no, that flouro pocket square doesn't go with that burgundy knit tie try hard!)

There you go, the clothing simile to drinking Bin 389 with poached live abalone slices!
Grange w/meat pie ... apparently the best combo but i wouldnt know.. too scared to open my only bottle of grange lol

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had Grange once, over some heavy duty negotiations during lunch for a client. Cannot remember anything at all about the wine. What a waste.

I decided to make a quick visit today to Cloakroom to try out the Carminas. Well, guess what, shop in Surry Hills is closed. The Sydney desert is getting drier.

So Romp, grab the niche quick! Call me if you need someone to negotiate with the Northampton manufacturers :) I charge a pair of C & J for every hour- bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads