Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Great rant, but not you I'm sorry. This guy 'Tweedy' - http://www.styleforum.net/t/285173/harris-tweed-jacket

All he posts is tweed after tweed after tweed

Im sure yours was much tweedier and swollen than his!

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Nope

It was at a chain of alterations shop in the suburbs. I simply forgot there was a parking meter and dashed across the road and when I got back 5 mins later i had a ticket. It made me grumpy. I went to alterations shop instead of my "Mystery Tailor" as I thought they might be more au fait with jeans and even possibly cheaper but certainly quicker. Not sure that any of that is true ..............

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

Quar - I agree - I have friends who still buy their Churches shoes from McLoud - because they like the service and can try the shoes on. The $200 - $300 difference is too much for me. I sometimes walk up around teh corner and buy a cup of coffee for $4 - when I can, arguably, make a better one at home for a cost of around $0.20c. I often have a cup of coffee at Pellegrinis next to American Tailors - its the best place in Melbourne toe have a coffee - it isn't the best coffee in Melbourne.

I know you don't need me to tell you this. Something on sale is worth what you can get for it. Something like VASS has a limited market - you may have hold on a while to get what you want. Offering something up - you have to accept that there are people who will make an offer. Sometimes its almost insulting, but its just the to and fro. At one stage many years ago I made my living buying and selling stuff. Large amounts and large things. Sometimes people would agree on a price then on delivery try to argue me down, after I had driven 200Ks in a large truck. A sense of humour helps and a willingness to drive back without a sale if needed.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

fxh in an unusually serious mood tonight...

Any of you fellas know anywhere where I can get a nice parka? Might need to take one up to the snow. Looking at one of those North Face ones (kids XL) @ $199 from Costco. Adult sizes start at M, and thats way too big there. Not sure if that is cheap or not for something like that.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  5. quar

quar Senior member

They sold very quickly. I didn't have trouble selling them at all.

I was offended, because I had already listed them well below their value, only to have a few Australian Members attempt to low-ball me even further.

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I agree completely. Surely buying expensive shoes etc. when you clearly can't afford it is the worst kind of showing off because it's an image built on a lie?

If you openly say "$100 is a lot for some people", I would suggest having your jacket taken in by a quarter of an inch shouldn't be among your top priorities. Neither should saving up for your first pair of Vass or Carmina (or whatever the brand of the month is), which you buy on deep discount only to realise they are too big/small but you are too cheap to return them or buy them in a real store so you have them stretched/wear really thick socks (OTC of course) until you finally can't take the pain and decide to sell them in "slightly worn condition".

Then of course there are those with means that go from dad jeans and coogi sweaters to singlehandedly supporting [insert clothing or shoe company name].com in a matter of months, but clearly haven't got a clue about how to put an outfit together (no, that flouro pocket square doesn't go with that burgundy knit tie try hard!)

Money is a necessary, not a sufficient, condition to being stylish. Going out and buying a heap of crap based on the hype cycle of a clothing forum will automatically have you looking like an overdressed misfit.

/rant.

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

This is it in a nutshell. When I was at The Treasury ties were de rigueur at ACPB forget it. PM&C you would not be seen dead without one and if your at DWEER, well the less said the better. As for private sector well when I was teaching it a was variation on culturally creative black, I think also being in the Rural hinterlands I still wanted to feel urbane.

Clothing is a form of visual code it allows us to project who we are and how we perceive our social self to the world. We chose our dress to express our personality and it also states our confidence in how our attire allows us to navigate the social world. And there are those who we mix with both professionally and socially who understand the codes we apply and get what message we are sending to the world. And yes I tend to notice a well dressed individual if they happen to walk past me on the street. We are social animals and if you need a good laugh have a read of The Suit A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style, think Art of War for the corporate wardrobe.

As for penny pinching well yes I expect value for money, if I buy a pair of shoes I expect them to last via rotation for at least ten years if not more. My father adhered to the idea that a good pair of boots should last you twenty years and pic below taken I think in 48 shows him wearing the same pair of boots he had in the mid thirties, admittedly the were in the cupboard from 39 to 45. The shot was taken outside the Commonwealth Bank in Pitt St Sydney.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

8. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Thanks for the great info.
    ps** I thought jcrew was the only bastard that is currently trying to screw us Australians !

9. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

imo, bontoni is more about looks than quality in comparison to their competitors.

there was a rather intensive discussion a while ago. actually, i forgot in which thread.

Ummm, where did you get this idea? Goodyear welted, quality leather, beautiful lasts. A forum member rated it near the top of most metrics, including value/money.

10. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Gemming. :foo: But seriously, low SPI for one. Lots of fashion-y shoes. Itally. Sole not cut as close as serious Northapmton makers. Generally worse finish in other areas. Disagree with not being stylish on a budget, you just need to buy less clothes... Sticky pricing issues would be my first thought. Re: Australian prices.

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

lol

12. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

update: ive got brand new kent wang polos:
    1x short sleeve grey XL
    1x white long sleeve XL
    1x navy long sleeve XL

I bought because I read they fit extremely tight... while this is true these were still big on me. 39neck/100chest/6ft/82kg

Ill take $50 for the short sleeve and $65 on the long sleeves and ill pay the postage.

13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

(no, that flouro pocket square doesn't go with that burgundy knit tie try hard!)

There you go, the clothing simile to drinking Bin 389 with poached live abalone slices!

14. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Grange w/meat pie ... apparently the best combo but i wouldnt know.. too scared to open my only bottle of grange lol

15. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Had Grange once, over some heavy duty negotiations during lunch for a client. Cannot remember anything at all about the wine. What a waste.

I decided to make a quick visit today to Cloakroom to try out the Carminas. Well, guess what, shop in Surry Hills is closed. The Sydney desert is getting drier.

So Romp, grab the niche quick! Call me if you need someone to negotiate with the Northampton manufacturers :) I charge a pair of C & J for every hour- bargain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.