Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ MC are for dinosaurs

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Just what I need Canberra right now. Never owned one so how to they compare with say RL polos? I've had a thing for Southern Tide for the past couple of years very good in terms of colour fastness and comfort.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I'm not too sure other than they have a good reputation on SF and are considered on par or better than Sunspel AFAIK.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Bourdieu is a better read and he has more class than de Botton.

6. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

oh yeah - ive got a couple XL Kent Wang long sleeve polos sitting on my desk still in wrap- Tried one on, too big - ill post pics tomorrow. Pretty sure ive got Navy, Grey, White. PM me if interested. Will sell for $70each.

7. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

What happened B? Id have thought you be all over the sizing. Was there something we need to know as to what happened in getting wrong sizing? Just interested.

8. Windowpane1967

Interesting comment. Stuffed up post here..was in response to something I now cant remember....!!!!

9. Windowpane1967

Have come back to your comment a couple of times here Blahman. I see where your coming from and would also like to throw in my observation here as a newish member. A lot of what I see and read reflects members desire to 'beat the system'. Ie, we have all for so long been subjected to inflated retail prices, when we all knew that when we travelled prices O/S were noticeably cheaper for the same items. I see the members here as having a competitive streak, ie being able now, with online ecommerce providing our members here with the ready tool now to compete. I just see members, not so much as thrifty, but, competitive. Just a different observation.

10. Windowpane1967

+1 recommend it to all.

11. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Agree with you completely, however I wouldn't have thought Pierre Bourdieu would have had much of a following around here. I wanted to suggest some Stuart Hall journal articles and Michel Foucault chapter's on the consumerism/overconsumption topic, but thought they'd fall on deaf ears. I may have been very wrong..

EDIT: de Botton cops a lot of flack, and in part, it's deserved, because he presents as some kind of literary rockstar and his privileged upbringing may not help his cause, but for the most part, the fact that he introduces a wide variety of people into a more critical mode of thinking, particularly those who would ordinarily shun books of a philosophical nature, is something worthy of praise.

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I fucked up bro.

[​IMG]

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Thats would be me with the vintage tweed jacket. It was a Brooks Old school swelled edges soft shoulder jacket. You can’t get them new and its hard to get them old as well. I sold it for what it cost me. It is better made and better material than most of the stuff around nowadays. You might not like it or want to wear it but you can’t deny its good representative of a certain style. I don't see what the problem is.
    I'm here because I like clothes. I like good clothes.

Like most people here, or anywhere, every $100 I spend on clothes is $100 I can’t spend on something else. Like a donation to a homeless charity, like looking after a disabled child, like supporting elderly parents, or paying trade people what they are owed and on time, or supporting a refugee through university. Just some of the things my family does.

I’ve had bespoke clothes made for me, bespoke shoes. I wear shoes I’ve had for 20 years. I occasionally buy new shoes. I occasionally buy second hand shoes from overseas and locally. I buy second hand jackets and suits from overseas and locally. I buy new clothes from overseas and locally. I don’t need to buy stuff all the time. Mainly ‘cos I have a lot of stuff. I support local tailors with new clothes and alterations. I used to support local shoemakers. Now I support talented cobblers. I give clothes away to people I like. I help people find cheap clothes and dress acceptably for a job - people who have never owned a suit.

An interest in clothes means an interest in the occasions that require them. And the meaning of clothes. Clothes are not a-contextual therefore the history of clothes and perceived taboos in clothes are important. Having fun is important – being inclusive is important. I’ve much more to say but the TdeF is on live. See ya later – more later.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Now we are getting somewhere - Foucault, Raymond Williams, Lacan, Freud, Laver, Flusser, Fussel, Boyer, Hollander, .....now we could go somewhere..

I'll be back

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

There is a bit more to it. In general in Australia we've been seen as a market which will put up with higher prices.

We are charged more for software - which is a digital download from the same servers in USA - which no extra cost to providers. Digital downloads of music have also been at higher prices for Australian customers at no extra cost to providers. So the bricks and mortar, lower population and vast shipping distances don't account for the differences here.

EDIT - added Senate Inquiry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.