• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@California Dreamer previous financial collapses. Standard LNP tactic.

What a mob of scabrous whores the Senior Management of the Australian banking sector is.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bankers have done well, years of fees to come before any changes take effect, no break up of the V/I model, get to pocket mortgage commissions now too and ASIC still at the helm, the same mob that can't pass clear regulations to save themselves, where's the champagne!

Terminator

Reaction score
Gents, I have a question about the newish GST on incoming purchases. If I buy something on eBay US, for less than a grand AUD, should I expect GST and fees? Or would this not get caught? I’m weighing up having it sent to me here in Zurich where it will definitely be hit by duties etc, or getting it sent to my folks since we will be back for a visit in April/May. Many thanks

ovlov

Reaction score
Gents, I have a question about the newish GST on incoming purchases. If I buy something on eBay US, for less than a grand AUD, should I expect GST and fees? Or would this not get caught? I’m weighing up having it sent to me here in Zurich where it will definitely be hit by duties etc, or getting it sent to my folks since we will be back for a visit in April/May. Many thanks

If you buy from Ebay then I think the answer is yes. You will definitely get slogged if you buy from an ebay store. I'm not so sure about private sellers though. Smaller vendors skirt the laws a bit (I didn't pay any gst on my EGs i ordered a couple months ago but that wasn't ebay). It depends on whether ebay has a system to force vendors to collect gst.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience is GST on everything. Usually collected by store.

Terminator

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. But what if the store doesn’t collect it? This looks like some kind of consignment store, I can’t imagine they’ll collect it, if they don’t and it’s under 1000 AUD will it get picked up at the border?

flashjack

Reaction score
I've been hit with GST for my eBay purchases, but not from overseas vendors such as Drake's and NMWA.

TS2404

Reaction score

My experience is that any overseas purchase on eBay that is sent to Australia will be charged GST. I think eBay automatically enforces this across all sellers, whether they are individuals or more-professional eBay stores. If you click on the postage details for the item it should show you the cost of shipping to Australia as well as an estimate for 'Import charges" which is essentially the GST you will be charged.

Terminator

Reaction score
Ok thanks, in that case I guess eBay enforces it across the board somehow, whereas the smaller (and not so small in the case of Drake’s these days) can’t be arsed/don’t meet the threshold. That’s really helpful. Last question, is it only 10% or 10% plus other fees? Many thanks

TS2404

Reaction score
Thanks @TS2404 but the
estimate for import charges only works if the seller ships using the global shipping program, in this case the seller doesn’t and therefore no import estimate is given. Thanks again, all

Ah, I didn’t know that. Thanks for the clarification. FWIW, I can’t recall any international purchase on eBay where I haven’t been charged GST (since the law changed).

ovlov

Reaction score
Given the wealth of info given on the last dining request I thought I'd check for recs from the SF Oz team.
Looking for reccommendations for fine dining options in Sydney. So far considering Quay or Momofuku. My wife is a big fan of degustation with 'interesting dishes' (i.e. not just a top notch steak, but rather dishes and ingredients you wouldn't usually get a chance to try). Anyone tried both and care to weigh in or have a 3rd option that may be more on the mark?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads