• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D-grey

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a store that sells decent, sized peacoats?

Not living in the US I can’t buy one from an army surplus store.

Lawrance ordnance in Sydney Central carries Sterlingwear peacoats, stocks are limited though so try calling them first.

Reaction score
Anyway, Henry Bucks.

Totally forgot that that twat Ali works there. Totally ruins the experience. Even after you fend him off you have to tolerate his loud bullshit to other customers. 'Canali, Sir! Yes! The best fully canvassed suit in the world!'.

Sales there used to be a bit of fun, now not so much.

Who is Ali and how does he ruin the experience? I just want to know so I know whonto avoid when I next get the chance to shop at HB.

Epicure

Reaction score
Finally found some pomade that isn’t aromatic, and doesn’t make my hair look like its an extra in an Arki Kaurismaki film. Triumph & Disaster Ponsonby Pomade. Mind you the name is somewhat odd. Ponsonby? I mean really.
I was a big fan until they changed their formula. While the old formula performed even better for my hair, I was advised by marketing that they had to change it after reports that it was melting too easily during shipment. While I found the new formula performed well enough, I also found that the consistency made it much less workable and it took longer to apply. I consequently gave up and switched to Teddy Boy Original. Evidently your experience with the Ponsonby has differed, and that's interesting to note. I agree that T&D have done very well with the aroma profile.
@sliq: Regarding UpperCut Deluxe, that gear is cheap for a reason. Even if you don't care about the wider effects of petrochemical overuse (vested interest anyone here?!) in toiletries/cosmetics/grooming products, products like UpperCut are no good for the health of your scalp. I've not had experience with UpperCut Deluxe, but having read the ingredient list, I'm be fairly confident in suggesting it should be avoided. Unless of course dandruff is a desirable condition, or it's acceptable to buy more horrible products in preventing/treating. Just my 2 cents.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who is Ali and how does he ruin the experience? I just want to know so I know whonto avoid when I next get the chance to shop at HB.
image.imgtype.articleLeadwide.620x0.png

conqueror

Reaction score
i used uppercut featherweight every day for years and didn't have any dandruff issues, but made the switch to layrite's matte cream a while back now. on the topic of hair products, i recently tried a bottle of clubman's country club shampoo and it's fantastic. both layrite and clubman products are made in the US if that's important to you.

Epicure

Reaction score
i used uppercut featherweight every day for years and didn't have any dandruff issues, but made the switch to layrite's matte cream a while back now. on the topic of hair products, i recently tried a bottle of clubman's country club shampoo and it's fantastic. both layrite and clubman products are made in the US if that's important to you.

Yes, I'll concede that individual results are likely to differ. Some individuals will have skin that is more sensitive than others. I just prefer to choose a product with a range of ingredients that present a lower risk of drying out or irritating the scalp.

Why did you switch from Uppercut to Layrite?

Article 26

Reaction score
Longines to open a store in Collins St.

In the past 26 months Gucci, Bottega Veneta, Versace, Fendi, Berluti, TAG Heuer, Coach, Omega, Cartier, Burberry have leased new space.

Times must be good.
Not to mention IWC & Paneri - Balenciaga are opening opposite Harrold’s and Brunello Cucinelli on the far end of Collins and Saint Laurent has found space, too.
Who said retail was dead? Ah. Myer... ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads