• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.executivestyle.com.au/can-vietnam-tailoring-measure-up-against-savile-row-gouvqk

In today's edition of **** executivestyle articles, a man compares a $10,000 Huntsman suit (or rather he largely just brags about having bought it) to **** bought in Hoi An and comes to no conclusion.
The verdict

The final price? $150.
Yeah, okay. Perhaps I should have come to Hoi An for my wedding clothes. My wallet would certainly be a lot fuller.
Then again, it's hardly Savile Row.

baldy[1].gif

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Without getting into any discussion of how Huntsman today after multiple changes of ownership compares to 30 years ago, $150 for 3 MTM shirts with fused collars, unfinished-looking machine stitching and made of a cheap cotton (if not polyester) that will start pilling at the first machine wash is actually cheap-ish for the region. The going rate in Singapore is around $60-80. There's a market for these - when it's 35 degrees and 100% humidity, depending on the number of meetings and locations in a day you'll get changed 3-4 times and you don't really care what you are wearing anymore. The original article is clearly a submarine (http://paulgraham.com/submarine.html). The going rate for this is a few tens of thousands of dollars depending on the publication. Free if you have good contacts and know how to write interesting copy. Can't blame the publications, since the ones that refused to play this game have all gone out of business. There's a plethora of "web 2.0", "tech-fashion" businesses springing up in the region at the moment and going down that path, a couple of articles gives you a back story (here, association with Huntsman, anchoring, etc.) in case potential clients Google you and has become the default MO for a brand launch.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
woof bit harsh there Matt but I've gotta say I kinda agree they just end up looking stuffy a lot of the time. I'd rather a shirt or tee over a polo 95% of the time, linen if it's really hot. Maybe it's a blowback from thinking polo polos were the height of fashion when I was a teenager.

I think there are loads of cool casual shirting options.

Pop overs are cool, and look good lots of the time.

Shirts with grandpa collars are cool and look good lots of the time.

Even weird kurta shirts are cool and look good lots of the time.

Loose linen shirts are cool and look good lots of the time.

Seer sucker shirts a la Camoshita are cool and look good lots of the time.

Polos are so incredibly lame for a young bloke, and the only young people I see wearing them are (almost invariably) thoughtless dressers (which is totally fine, dressing isn't really that important) or prissy wankers who don't think the 'lower classes' should be admitted to tertiary education.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked this up today in one of the whats happened to winter sales. 95% down perfect for early morning trips to the gym and better with an $80 markdown. Tried a couple of others but the length was too short the Lands End vest I have is perfect but the shipping charges are too absurd to make it worthwhile to acquire a new one.

PDub

Reaction score
iSurg!

This answer may be too late for you but you've given me a chance for a rare post. I have a pair of jeans, some tees and a jumper from Taylor Stitch. The jeans fit me really well and the denim is great. Finish is sloppy though and I probably could have sent them back as seconds - placement of buttons on the fly were clearly botched and then replaced. Oh, and a rivet fell off last night. They were on sale though and didn't cost much. Tees are made of cheap cotton that hasn't held up very well, but again, they are cheap tees.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

akclothpooper

Reaction score
Any of you guys had experience with Andrew McDonald's shoes? I'm interested in a derby in the style of something like a Guidi 992 and I'd prefer to try on and get fit adjusted here than bank on something like grailed or another auction site, granted I dress more loose or (I hate to use the term) minimalist vs. artisinal.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are considered to be as good, if not better, than Guidi. Never heard a bad thing. A couple of blokes over in SWD have some.

Many of his designs are really top notch and seemed to be copied/interpreted by other designers.

herringbonePete

Reaction score
On a suburban train just outside rush hour... IGent blocking door by hanging his dry cleaning from rail near door.

ID yourself !

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tm Lewin all shirts $34 AUD free shipping. Got 3 fully fitted shirts for $102. Must follow the guide-
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/247942

Gents , I hope some of you had picked up some great deal. I ended up getting 4 shirts (2 separate orders). I like the fabric and fully fitted cut. All shipped and received this very interesting email from their CEO-

Sub: A note about your recent order
Dear xxxx

Hello and Welcome to T.M. Lewin!

Thank you for your recent order with us.

Due to a technical error on our website we noticed that you managed to get an incredible deal on our beautifully fitted, London designed shirts.

Normally we wouldn’t honour this sort of a discount as our shirts are of such amazing quality and value already! As you are a new customer however, and as we are so excited to have you on board, we’ve embraced your savvy opportunism and hope you will continue to shop with us, so we’ll allow it through. That’s how confident we are in our products and the fact that you’ll love your shirts.

Make sure you also check out our beautifully tailored suits, our stylish casualwear, and our huge range of accessories.

And don’t forget to visit one of our stores throughout Australia to get the best of British tailoring and menswear right on your doorstep.

Thanks,
Geoff Quinn
CEO

akclothpooper

Reaction score
Thanks @LonerMatt I'll defenitely go and have a look in store, found his RTW Derby's a bit too sleek/clean for what I was going for but having a quick google it seems he's made some really nice shoes and creative.

MonoWillz

Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking to get a nice bespoke/MTM suit made and I hope to get some advice on where I can go. Ive taken a look around and Germanicos Gold Package (Bespoke) or Oscar Hunt (MTM) or Herringbone (MTM) seem attractive to me. I'm looking for someone who is good with proportion, and can pretty much make me look good, especially with such a thin figure. My aim is to look good without looking too noticeably thin.

Now my budget is about <$2,500 and I'd ideally like a suit with:
- Slight Peak Lapel
- Solid Deep Blue Suit
- 1 Vent, 2 Button
- Closer? Waist fit?
- Full canvas (ideally)

I'm quite short and thin as well, 168cm, ~50kg so it's kinda difficult to go off the rack. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I'm in Melbourne

theowbert

Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking to get a nice bespoke/MTM suit made and I hope to get some advice on where I can go. Ive taken a look around and Germanicos Gold Package (Bespoke) or Oscar Hunt (MTM) or Herringbone (MTM) seem attractive to me. I'm looking for someone who is good with proportion, and can pretty much make me look good, especially with such a thin figure. My aim is to look good without looking too noticeably thin.

Now my budget is about <$2,500 and I'd ideally like a suit with:
- Slight Peak Lapel
- Solid Deep Blue Suit
- 1 Vent, 2 Button
- Closer? Waist fit?
- Full canvas (ideally)

I'm quite short and thin as well, 168cm, ~50kg so it's kinda difficult to go off the rack. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I'm in Melbourne
I'm not from Melbourne, but I probably would drop Herringbone MTM as an option straight out, based on the high price, and probably lack of options. Lucky for you, there are quite a few places you may want to check including: Oscar Hunt (as you've already said), P Johnson, SuitShop, Trunk Tailors.

People from Melbourne may have some others to add to that list, but your large budget opens up your options.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MD I wonder whether it was really sent by the CEO and not by one his PR/marketing plebs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads