Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Is brooks brothers accurate for sizing on their website, or is it like other American brands where our medium is their large?

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

In my experience I've found BB true to size. Only problem is that the arms on their jumpers are too long.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'm impressed that they managed to salvage the trousers - I would have thought that the rear pockets would have been too close together once the waistband and seat had been taken in by that much.

Also, of course, it would be easier to do such an alteration on plain cloth - if the cloth is in a check or plaid pattern, taking it in by a large amount could potentially make it difficult to maintain the pattern-matching.

Last edited: May 18, 2016

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

17 KGs loss is a lot.
    At the risk of stating the obvious if you were @ 100KG its a 17% loss.
    Be honest with yourself and think if this is your long term weight - otherwise you may easily go back to a bit more weight.
    It also depends where you lost that weight. Not all weight loss equals width/girth loss. Its most likely from stomach, waist and hips thighs.
    In general its wisest to dress/alter for the size you are RIGHT NOW not what you hope to be. Just ask wedding dress makers.

If you are getting stuff taken in to fit your new measurements its wise to ask the tailor NOT to cut off any of the seam allowances but leave them on - as its more than likely you may need to let the garments out again.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Decided to up my polo game and go full bespoke.

This'll be fun.

6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Polos are cancer for anyone your age.

7. robbie miles

robbie miles Active Member

The fellow who does a bespoke fitting service is Karl Sussmann in Wahroonga in Sydney's upper North Shore. It's a bit of a hike if you dont hail from there, but his selection is most likely the best in the world and his finishing of the shoes is incredible. I was at a trunk show there when Phillip was in Sydney. I happen to have 10 pair of St Chripin in various MTM styles. The way I went about it is to have Karl work on slightly modifying an existing last and accomodate for foot flaws such as high instep, carbuncles etc. I have never bothered with full bespoke but i have seen the process happen from go to whoa. I also have multiple CJ's, EG's, Lobb, Meermin, G&G tried them all and would happily never buy another pair unless it was St Chrispin.

In any case, Karl Sussmann's details are 0409288003. He is known as Blu scuro on the gram if you want to see more of his work.

Karl also makes shirts and will coordinate bespoke fittings for jackets and trousers. Karl was the brains-trust behind the JH Cutler operation.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I disagree.

Reading your posts on the other hand.

9. akclothpooper

akclothpooper Senior member

woof bit harsh there Matt but I've gotta say I kinda agree they just end up looking stuffy a lot of the time. I'd rather a shirt or tee over a polo 95% of the time, linen if it's really hot. Maybe it's a blowback from thinking polo polos were the height of fashion when I was a teenager.

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Buying a pony, are you?

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

12. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

The new mustangs are really quite tempting.

13. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

@pasey25 :
    @California Dreamer and @Journeyman are right, the alterations for the jackets will be a fair bit of work which might even make the cost of ordering a new suit compare reasonably.

On the other side of the coin, maybe this is time for a new suit, with the new shape and body. It allows you, and the tailor, to start all the proportions from scratch instead of making piecemeal adjustments.

14. JayH

JayH Senior member

Polo goals. I'm with FH, looking to step up my polo game.

[​IMG]

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Personally, I don't find the above image all that flattering. I'm on board with polos both long and short sleeve but that makes the guy look like an old man and I'm pretty well still on board with young blokes dressing like young blokes, not old fogeys.

High waisted trousers (which I'm a fan of) shouldn't be worn casually IMO (again refer to my young blokes/old blokes motto). YMMV of course and people can do whatever the hell they want etc etc.