• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aussie Bespoke vs MTM vs Asia

Sleeprequired

Reaction score
Ok so i've been doing quite a lot of reading and some local research here in australia. I have decided i want a bespoke suit where they make the pattern just for me and i want to use quality fabrics that suit Australia. While i'll be getting married in winter in Queensland, i'm prone to feeling hot and sweating a bit as a bigger bloke. I'm just on 6' and 110kgs and i carry my weight up top. Generally by the time a jacket gets around my waist the sleeves are WAAAAAAY too big. And, i want to spoil myself a bit. Not too much though.

I'll need a 3 piece so i can take off the jacket and still look the part. Then 2 more suits for the boys.

I've been having a look at certain places in Australia such as;

pjohnson - 1900 - 2100 - quality MTM - http://pjohnson.com.au/

germanicos - gold range 1900, platinum around 2800 - are they bespoke? they do a pattern here apparently and a couple of fittings but what troubles me is their 'bespoke' lining is the same IDENTICAL (and unique looking) lining as briggins below. However germanicos do apparently make a pattern, fully canvassed and have access to the best fabrics, so i'm willing to pay more. but i have trust issues given they say they make here but i've seen IDENTICAL lining in MTM from Briggins as I said.

Briggins 1300 - quality MTM - limited fabric selection

I'm interested in getting the best fit and quality within a reasonable price range. I honestly don't care for brands just the best output for the money.

Someone has recommended these guys http://www.tailorssingapore.com/

Should i go overseas to get bespoke? What should i expect to pay in singapore vs here? And who's considered very good in singapore?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's lots of good places to go (some of whom you've mentioned), that will give you either MTM (offshore or inhouse) or true bespoke, and at varying price points, in Australia. The best value true bespoke (at least in Sydney) IMO is Zink & Sons - www.zinkandsons.com.au. Give them a look.

Sleeprequired

Reaction score
what sort of damage can i expect? I'm based in melbourne but will travel. I travel to sydney regularly for work anyway...

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It all depends on whether you choose MTM or bespoke and what fabric you choose (also, whether you go half canvassed or fully canvassed etc.). Check their website and contact Daniel Jones and take things from there.

Last edited:

Sartorial Scum

Reaction score
You can get a great result via PJohnson MTM. I know its not bespoke but the quality and fit they can achieve makes it a great choice.

They have very lightweight construction so it does well for our warm climate.

If you want to shell out a bit more you can even go for the PJ Napoli (La Vera Sartoria Neapoletana) range which is made by Orazio Luciano in Naples.

For your groomsmen, you could even do Suit Shop, half canvassed, cloth from Ariston Napoli, Loro Piana etc.

The PJ guys will be able to fit you for both brands.

Sleeprequired

Reaction score
^ It all depends on whether you choose MTM or bespoke and what fabric you choose (also, whether you go half canvassed or fully canvassed etc.). Check their website and contact Daniel Jones and take things from there.
lets say i do a fully canvassed bespoke... i'll give them a ring but i'd like an idea if you already know...

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Again, price depends on the fabric you choose. Probably in the $2,000-$3,000 range, but could be more or less depending on the choice of fabric. You really need to talk to them for more information. A visit would be better still. Robert & Daniel Jones will take good care of you.

Sleeprequired

Reaction score
^ Again, price depends on the fabric you choose. Probably in the $2,000-$3,000 range, but could be more or less depending on the choice of fabric. You really need to talk to them for more information. A visit would be better still. Robert & Daniel Jones will take good care of you.
thanks for that... i would be happy at roughly this prices... i do know things can vary depending on the choices make but that gives me an idea.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You can use my post above as a very rough guide, but it's best to speak to Robert or Daniel yourself. Once you visit, you can view their fabric books and get an even better idea of price from that.

Sleeprequired

Reaction score
^ You can use my post above as a very rough guide, but it's best to speak to Robert or Daniel yourself. Once you visit, you can view their fabric books and get an even better idea of price from that.
rang them today. spoke to an older bloke there. seemed a funny guy but no doubt very experienced.

around 2750-3250 for bespoke depending on material choice. made in australia.

Last edited:

Sleeprequired

Reaction score
That would have been Robert. Price sounds right. Made onsite in their Oxford Street premises. Good deal for true bespoke.
haha you know exactly who i'm talking about. lets assume i go to sydney and get measured up...

should i go in and tell them i want this, this, this and that? or should i tell them about myself and get them to tell me what i should get?

what i'm asking is should i guide them or let them guide me? with people who are good at what they do i like to give them my vision and let them fulfil it, whereas otherwise i'll be more specific. Eg. with an architect i'll tell them how i want the space to feel and they can create it, with a builder i'll have to tell them what i want otherwise they'll do whatever's easy.

taking this approach i would say i want to show a bit of my personality at the wedding but not end up with anything i cannot wear again with a tie & shirt change... Value is an issue for me because i won't be getting many of these suits so i need to be able to wear it again. Individual, classy and a bit down to earth in a formal way... i know that sounds crazy probably...

can you link me a link with heaps of suit images so i can get an idea of what i like? i've researched all the information... now it's time to research the overall 'look'!!

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of both. Tell them what you want and they will help you achieve that look. Bespoke is give and take, where you and your tailor work together to create the look you're after.

Check the Zink & Sons website and Facebook page. There's lots of images there.

dappertimes

Reaction score
Ok so i've been doing quite a lot of reading and some local research here in australia. I have decided i want a bespoke suit where they make the pattern just for me and i want to use quality fabrics that suit Australia. While i'll be getting married in winter in Queensland, i'm prone to feeling hot and sweating a bit as a bigger bloke. I'm just on 6' and 110kgs and i carry my weight up top. Generally by the time a jacket gets around my waist the sleeves are WAAAAAAY too big. And, i want to spoil myself a bit. Not too much though.

I'll need a 3 piece so i can take off the jacket and still look the part. Then 2 more suits for the boys.

I've been having a look at certain places in Australia such as;

pjohnson - 1900 - 2100 - quality MTM - http://pjohnson.com.au/

germanicos - gold range 1900, platinum around 2800 - are they bespoke? they do a pattern here apparently and a couple of fittings but what troubles me is their 'bespoke' lining is the same IDENTICAL (and unique looking) lining as briggins below. However germanicos do apparently make a pattern, fully canvassed and have access to the best fabrics, so i'm willing to pay more. but i have trust issues given they say they make here but i've seen IDENTICAL lining in MTM from Briggins as I said.

Briggins 1300 - quality MTM - limited fabric selection

I'm interested in getting the best fit and quality within a reasonable price range. I honestly don't care for brands just the best output for the money.

Someone has recommended these guys http://www.tailorssingapore.com/

Should i go overseas to get bespoke? What should i expect to pay in singapore vs here? And who's considered very good in singapore?

Sometimes you have to travel for a good suit. I'd say check with some tailors in Melbourne or Sydney. They might know what works best for the Australian weather. No need to go overseas. Australia has people with superb craftsmanship and a thriving fashion scene. And best of all, if they are local, you can always go back for readjustments and etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads