• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darryl M R
Can anyone identify the specific model of these Fielmann glasses?

I haven't seen any brands with those 3 rivets in that shape. Does anyone else know who makes a triangular 3 rivets? Personally, I think it has way too many rivets though. I like to see less than 3, any more and it is over doing it.

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Cityconnection, i am looking for something similar to Moscot Zielig. Could you recommend me some...

chroMe

Reaction score
the pair of glasses on Richard Avedon, self portrait, mabou mines, nova scotia, 1975 as depicted in this month's Man About Town - i wanteth. will scan photo as cannot find a link.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
CityConnection, I was wonder if I could inquire some advice again. Or anyone who wants to drop in. I've been thinking about buying some Tortishell New Style Wayfarers as everyday glasses. I've got some black new style wayfarer sun glasses that I really like. Do you think this would be a good idea for a non-celebrity? Im a white guy with dark hair, and look nothing like johnny depp, but I like the way the glasses look. Johnny Depp has been seen wearing this style: I don't think he's wearing Wayfarers, but they look similar.
johnny-depp-zia-jewelry.jpg
I've seen several people wearing the black newstyle wayfarer style as glasses, but none yet wearing Tortishell in person. Would it go well with casual as well as dress up? Or is this a bad idea?

blam89

Reaction score
i dont have much a nose bridge which sucks since it rules out a lot of glasses. is there any way i can modify the bridge on pairs that dont have adjustable bridge support so that it will sit properly?

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blam89
i dont have much a nose bridge which sucks since it rules out a lot of glasses. is there any way i can modify the bridge on pairs that dont have adjustable bridge support so that it will sit properly?
You could warm the glasses up and twist them (if there plastic) or if there metal just twist them till they fit.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onijo84
Hey Cityconnection, i am looking for something similar to Moscot Zielig. Could you recommend me some...

Almost identical to the Salt Oslos. I have a pair that are super comfortable. Take a look and let us know how it turns out. I cant think of any other ones with the high temples like that.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chroMe
the pair of glasses on Richard Avedon, self portrait, mabou mines, nova scotia, 1975 as depicted in this month's Man About Town - i wanteth. will scan photo as cannot find a link.

Do you have a pic that you can post up? Let us see what it looks like and maybe we can give it a shot.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
CityConnection,
I was wonder if I could inquire some advice again. Or anyone who wants to drop in.

I've been thinking about buying some Tortishell New Style Wayfarers as everyday glasses. I've got some black new style wayfarer sun glasses that I really like.

Do you think this would be a good idea for a non-celebrity?
Im a white guy with dark hair, and look nothing like johnny depp, but I like the way the glasses look.

Johnny Depp has been seen wearing this style:
I don't think he's wearing Wayfarers, but they look similar.

I've seen several people wearing the black newstyle wayfarer style as glasses, but none yet wearing Tortishell in person.

Would it go well with casual as well as dress up? Or is this a bad idea?

I believe that Johnny Depp wears another brand, other than the Wayfarers. But in any case, personally, I didnt really like the wayfarers, but I think they have turned into the "converse chucks" or eyewear. It is just a piece of that everyone has to have, IMO.

In terms of wearing tortoise wayfarers, personally, I would say to go for it. The Wayfarers are very conservatively priced these days and the quality is "okay". Myself, I wear black Salt Oslos, tortoise Hacketts which are a bit smaller and a pair of black/blue/shiny silver Hugo Boss frames. And then I have a my matte black plastic aviators and Dunhill Gold frames and so on and on...

I think that Wayfarers are so widely worn that they are no longer "ultra trendy" more so just conservative with a bit of edge. If you wear casual clothes to work/school, you should be fine. If you were designer suits to work I would suggest something a bit more conservative.

But I'll tell you when I tell everyone, be fun with your glasses, it is the same as your clothes, change them up with colors and style. You wouldn't wear a white t-shirt everyday (well, you could but what fun would that be).

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blam89

Yes! I have it in my blog somewhere but I can help you in short....

1.) get nose pads installed on to the frame. They will melt metal adjustable nose pads into the frame,

2.) there are small silicone stickers that you can add onto the nose bridge of the plastic frame. But that is a temporary fix.

3.) if you have a frame that has metal nose pads but doesn't adjust there are way to adjust it, such as the Tag Heuer frames. It is adjustable but you will have to find a skilled optician.

Let me know if this was the answer you were looking for.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
You could warm the glasses up and twist them (if there plastic) or if there metal just twist them till they fit.

This is not a feasible solution. When you twist the frame you will skew the bridge and depending on your prescription, you may be turning the lenses off axis (which will affect your vision). They might fit better but you may also be compromising your vision.

MikeF

Reaction score
CityConnection (or anyone else with ideas), what's the best way to polish scratches out of an acetate frame?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics