• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

blam89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Yes! I have it in my blog somewhere but I can help you in short....

1.) get nose pads installed on to the frame. They will melt metal adjustable nose pads into the frame,

2.) there are small silicone stickers that you can add onto the nose bridge of the plastic frame. But that is a temporary fix.

3.) if you have a frame that has metal nose pads but doesn't adjust there are way to adjust it, such as the Tag Heuer frames. It is adjustable but you will have to find a skilled optician.

Let me know if this was the answer you were looking for.

Thanks CityConnection! this was exactly what I was looking for. So if i walk into any optician they could help melt adjustable nose pads into the frame? what if the frame was wood? is that still ok?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blam89
Thanks CityConnection! this was exactly what I was looking for. So if i walk into any optician they could help melt adjustable nose pads into the frame? what if the frame was wood? is that still ok?

Can any optical do it? No. Most won't. There is no money in it and it is more of a service. They will have to have the tool to do it and they will have to be able to do it well. If it is wood, they could be creative and bore a hole and hold it in place with epoxy, but again, because there no money-making involved, most places wont ever bother doing it. But you can always look for one.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeF
CityConnection (or anyone else with ideas), what's the best way to polish scratches out of an acetate frame?

Depends on the quality and where it is. If it is a big gouge, you might want to put a patch over it and melt it back on and then refinish the frame. If it is a small scratch, you might be okay just buffing it out on a wheel with some polish compound. If it is a big dent, just replace it, unless you absolutely love it. It is NOT a small project.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
Barton Perreira

Can I get the skinny on this brand? Quality/price, and who distros them at Optical boutiques? I'm talking about places like Safilo, Kenmark, Viva Group, etc.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very expensive, very rare. Started by a couple former OP execs a few years back. Styling varies from tasteful to Russian-oligarch's-nephew. Mostly the latter.

HOT Sriracha

Reaction score
Anyone know the best fitting brand plastic acetate frames for asians without nosepads? Do Moscot or Culter & Gross fit well?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hermitedge
Barton Perreira

Can I get the skinny on this brand? Quality/price, and who distros them at Optical boutiques? I'm talking about places like Safilo, Kenmark, Viva Group, etc.

To be frank, I don't know much about this company. It has been discussed a few times and a few of the people on the forum know much more about it than me. If you search, I'm sure you'll find some good info on them.

As for who distributes them...that I NO idea. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HOT Sriracha
Anyone know the best fitting brand plastic acetate frames for asians without nosepads? Do Moscot or Culter & Gross fit well?

In terms of Moscot and Cutler & Gross, I haven't had any long term experience with either of them so I don't know much about how they fit.

Depends how high your nose bridge is. If it is non-existent you will need nose pads. Depending on the style of frame there are few companies that you should look into: Prodesign (all plastic models come with and without nose pads), Salt (fits relatively well without nose pads), Paul Frank (fits quite well without nosepads), most large names like Gucci, Polo and so on will have a few models that fit well but not an extensive amount of selection. If you have a very low bridge, I would suggest to go to asian shops your area. Usually they will have more frames that fit their clientel (asians with low bridges).

Happy shopping.

Reaction score
Looking for help on finding this clear frame worn by JCrew CEO, Mickey Drexler. They appear to be a semi-round preppy frame similar to Oliver People's Riley, but a tad thicker. Any thoughts?
Drexler_h.jpg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HOT Sriracha

I'm Asian, and love Oliver Peoples. Nice and snug.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClassicCityGuy
Looking for help on finding this clear frame worn by JCrew CEO, Mickey Drexler. They appear to be a semi-round preppy frame similar to Oliver People's Riley, but a tad thicker.

Any thoughts?

Drexler_h.jpg

I have no idea. Seems like the temples are metal. They seem to look like 2 thin ones that merge into 1. There are tons with that front, but those temples seem very unique...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I have no idea. Seems like the temples are metal. They seem to look like 2 thin ones that merge into 1. There are tons with that front, but those temples seem very unique...

I think the temples are actually plastic, and obviously clear. If you look at the right (our right) temple, you can see the thickness of the plastic.

Do you offer such a pair or know where I might be able to find one in similar style?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the temples are actually plastic, and obviously clear. If you look at the right (our right) temple, you can see the thickness of the plastic.

Do you offer such a pair or know where I might be able to find one in similar style?

You're right, when you look at HIS left temple, it looks like its plastic but I dont know why HIS right temple looks like it is metal. I am convinced that it looks like it has 2 temple wires which is very odd. Im not sure who makes it like that. But Club Monaco has a frame similar but it is a bit smaller than his frame. As well, Hackett has one but it might be slightly larger. The only ones that I have are safety glasses/goggle types that are clear. I dont stock crystal frames, because it has a slow turnover rate.

lip13

Reaction score
Came across an Intel advert today and I really like the specs that the guy is wearing in them. Any idea who makes them or where I can get something similar? I have seen something like these made by LA Eyeworks but they're a bit rich for my blood.

http://intel.sky.com/#/webisodes/entertainment/01/

specs1.jpg

specs2.jpg

dave

Reaction score
Looking for help on finding this clear frame worn by JCrew CEO, Mickey Drexler. They appear to be a semi-round preppy frame similar to Oliver People's Riley, but a tad thicker.

Any thoughts?

Drexler_h.jpg

look for Paul smith ps-427. they're nearly identical but be warned, they're fairly small so try them on if you can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads