• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw a snippet of what must be Ron Rifkin's new show last nite - "Law & Order:
Special Victims Unit" and was surprised he appears to be wearing the same
wonderful, retro frame he wore in the later years of "Brothers & Sisters":
http://www.buddytv.com/alias/photos/ron-rifkin-the-art-of-elysium-presents-russe\
l-young-fame-shame-54353.aspx
So I'm thinking this is what he wears in his private life. Would love to know
who the designer is. Does anyone know?

Another guy on the show also wore a tortoise retro-type frame that looked
interesting.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey CityConnection,

Thanks for this thread!

I was considering some Maui Jim Stingray prescription sunglasses, but thanks to reading tons of pages here, I've found the Salt Wyatts, the styling of which I prefer.

These will be my first prescription sunglasses. I've got some questions:

Firstly, the websites that I have found the Wyatts on all seem to state "the Wyatts come with a non-prescriptions lens. We can duplicate it with one fit to the frames for an additional charge"

I read this as "You're not getting Salt optics anymore, we're going to substitute our in-house lenses". Which sucks, because that's kind of what I'd be wanting to pay the premium for in the first place, right? I mean, only part of that initial price tag is for the bare frames.

Do Salt offer ways to purchase their optics done in prescription? I want the best optics I can get.

I think Maui Jim makes their premium optics directly for prescription. This is what I see on framesdirect.com anyway. I suppose if the Wyatts can't be made to the same optical standard, maybe I should stick with those? That would suck too, because I prefer the styling of the Wyatts.

Thanks,

ccm
Just realized I never answered this... Lots of questions here and you answered a lot of them yourself. Looks like you did your homework. :) 1. Maui Jim makes MAUI JIM RX from their own factory with MAUI JIM OPTICS. Salt makes great lenses WITHOUT RX. Salt CANNOT make SALT OPTICS lenses. 2. If you purchase Salt , you're throwing out the lenses and putting in generic lenses (or name brand lenses, which is up to you). When buying Salt sunglasses, you are paying for the frame and lenses but throwing out the lenses. When you buy Prada, you are paying for the name, not really for the frame or lenses. You know what I mean? 3. In the real world, you won't be able to tell much difference between a MJ RX lens and an "in-house" lens. 1 of the main benefits to getting a MJ lens is that they will fit perfectly without any flaws or potential flaws AND their anti-scratch coating will probably be better. Is it really worth paying $500+ for MJ RX sunglasses? That's up to you. That's my 2 cents. BTW, I talk from experience because I have dispensed RX lenses from Oakley, MJ, Switch, in-house lenses and everything in between. Within my family members we have also tried all of these lenses and frames.

ryan24

Reaction score

Can anyone recommend a cheap alternative to Dita's Statesman and Grand Reserve models? 

Maybe get them used on ebay. There is no substitute i found for the statesman, I have it in black and tort, and wear them daily. Previously I wore the OP Ari. and will never go back. The only thing i def recommend on the statesman is to change the nose pads to silicone ones. as for the grand reserve i feel the bridge is to heavy (in appearance not weight)

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CityConnection,

I think I'm going to buy a pair of glasses from framesdirect.com, this Canadian website.

What option should I choose for lens thickness? They offer:

I'm thinking just going with the recommended Hi Index 1.67 thickness. Is that a good choice?

Also, is anti-reflective coating worth it? It's an extra $44.95.

hayzum

Reaction score
^ 1.67 is a good, however this depends on your prescription, if you're under 5.0 then 1.67 will suffice.

I am looking for vintage frames, can someone recommend a brick and mortar store in NYC, where I can find Tart, Pathway, Styl-Rite, Liberty or similar frames?

hayzum

Reaction score
^ 1.67 will do the job. I'd go for the coating, because it does make a difference. Perhaps CC can comment.

CC - Where to find two or three tone vintage frames in NYC??

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would anyone like to take stab as to when eyewear with P3 design became popular? Late 1930s? Were they around before 1930? Any idea who or where the design came from?

teeo

Reaction score
anyone able to point me to a decent place to check out frames in bangkok?

i heard of this one place called niche nation. however, they seem quite expensive. i emailed them about a dita frame and they said it would cost me around 650AUD which is more expensive than here (450AUD).

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ 1.67 is a good, however this depends on your prescription, if you're under 5.0 then 1.67 will suffice.

My prescription is -3.25 in both eyes.
^ 1.67 will do the job. I'd go for the coating, because it does make a difference. Perhaps CC can comment.

CC - Where to find two or three tone vintage frames in NYC??

Out of those options 1.67 is your best bet. CR39 is too thick, poly is terrible, and 1.74 is super overkill for your rx. Get the antireflection coating and scratch although it probably comes with it. If you need to pay additional for the coatings though, that is hardly a good deal. You can find those prices in any B&M store and get it done in 15 minutes while you wait. my 2 cents.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Out of those options 1.67 is your best bet. CR39 is too thick, poly is terrible, and 1.74 is super overkill for your rx. Get the antireflection coating and scratch although it probably comes with it. If you need to pay additional for the coatings though, that is hardly a good deal. You can find those prices in any B&M store and get it done in 15 minutes while you wait. my 2 cents.

Yeah, the only thing is I can't find the frames locally, and the website's running a 40% off lenses promotion, so it comes down to $71.40 for the 1.67. I'll take a look around town, though.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads