1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Brand details please.

2. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

I'm back on a come back tour.

I will try to get to some of the questions when I have a bit of time. When I was on the board often, it would take me 30-1hr some days to answer the questions. That's why I stopped responding to the repeat questions and the "ID this frame". It seems like the thread has been going well without me though. Lots of knowledge accumulating on SF.

3. gearhead

gearhead Senior member

welcome back city connection, your informative posts are well appreciated, let the bombardment of questions begin : P

4. poorman

poorman Senior member

I'm just glad you are alive. haha.

5. CityConnection

LOL. Sometimes it really feels like that.

I'm not an expert nor do I come off as one, but I just know a bit more than the average person.

I'm glad that I can be of assistance.

6. CityConnection

NEWS: I'm sure a lot of you already know but LUX bought the Oliver People's Group a while back, which includes OP, Paul Smith Optical and Mosley Tribes.

NEWS: LUX has also purchases Alain Mikli Group which consists of Alain Mikli, Mikli par Mikli and Phillipe Starck. The Alain Mikli group will operate under the OP umbrella.

7. CityConnection

I'

I'm alive and kicking

8. CityConnection

This is an issue that I come across all the time. This is a list of reasons why a B&M store would charge more than online.

1. Licensed opticians and optometrists will be dispensing and they need to pay to keep thier license current and will continually educate themselves.

2. Overhead: They are in prime locations that are easy for you to access

3. Stock: They will stock the SALT sunglasses that you are interested in as well as 20 other brands with MANY other styles.

4. Adjustment: They will know what fits and doesn't fit and will adjust them for you.

5. MSRP: Not all places will charge the same amount. Somewhere with a higher rent, would probably charge more because they have more overhead.

6. Buying experience: You get to meet your local opticians and know where to go when you need help.

7. Expertise with RX: not all lenses are created the same nor will they all fit the same. Buying rx glasses online is sort of like buying a tailored suit. Sure it could fit but it could also be a terrible mistake. Case in point: Clearly Contacts. Their lenses are rubbish and they try to sell thier house brands as if they are real designers.

.... And the list goes on.

I'm not saying that B&M is the only way to shop, but you should be aware of why they charge more than online. But selling online is like anything else, less overhead, usually less stock and less upfront costs. (USUALLY)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  9. CityConnection

TOKI is definitely well made. I have seen countless people use them for well over 5 yrs without any problems. Whether it is worth the 500 is up to you. If you need to stop eating for a week, you should reconsider. If you are asking if the frames are $500 frames, I would say yes. The styles are conservative but elegant and the quality of workmanship is really good, IMHO.

10. CityConnection

I cant see the picture of your face. But if you think that it suits you, I say go for it. You have to be comfortable in the frame. Some people buy frames that are popular or that are "stylish" but they look terrible in the frame, and in turn feel sheepish in the frames. IMHO, that is a bad purchase. If you think you may have buyers remorse, stay clear of it.

11. CityConnection

First off, if you are using glass, ZEISS is the only lens you should consider.

In terms of frames with wide bridges, look for brands that are heavily in Europe. Generally, asian brands will have narrow bridges to allow for a higher fit on asians. I would also say to go with a full frame whether it be metal or plastic. If you are in an absolute pinch and can't find anything, you might want to consider bespoke frames like Tom Davies. I can't recall their pricing but at least you will have a frame that fits and it will be the exact style that you want.

12. CityConnection

I don't understand. You want readers but with no rx? So you just want a frame with no prescription?

13. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

City Connection,

It's nice to see you back. I've been reading some of your old posts as I prepare to buy my first high-quality frames. My eye doctor's office didn't carry good frames, so I'm trying to choose between the many B&M stores in Philadelphia. I just killed a half-hour on Yelp reading customer reviews and don't feel that I'm any further along, but I don't want to spend a day running from store to store.

I wanted to know how you would choose a B&M store? Is stocking a certain brand a telltale sign that it's a good store? Is there a question I could ask the salesperson that is likely to get a telling answer about whether they know what they're doing?

Thanks.

14. CityConnection

First off, yelp is a terrible way of evaluating a shop. They filter reviews and people get paid to do reviews. But that's a whole other story in itself.

In terms of telling if it is a legit shop or not there are certain things that I would consider.

1. They should have a wide range of price points for frames and lenses. Only high end means you're probably paying too much, too much low end means they only sell no name brands or mediocre at best.

2. Prices should be competitive but not too cheap. There are tons of fakes going around.

3. Judging a store by the brands is kind of unfair. They may have lucked out and got a line or they may be qualified for other lines but didn't get it. But there are some brands that are well made and put into store that share the same mind set.

4. Knowledge staff is a tough one. There is a difference between staff who care and knowledgeable staff. Sometimes staff who care are more important than knowledge staff. At the end of the day, you are making a retail purchase so you want to be happy with the service but also want to know that you got the most suitable frame for you. Like any other store, ask questions and see how they respond and see how honest they are being with you.

5. Product knowledge. Even if they don't carry a line, they should be able to identify what is similar that they might have. Example, they don't carry Masunaga, but they carry Kio Yamato. They don't carry Mykita but they carry Urband. They don't carry Emporio Armani but they carry Boss Orange.

Feel comfortable where you make your purchase.

Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  15. dcg

dcg Senior member

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I certainly understand then charging more than online shops, and do value the advice they were able to offer. It's the charging of more than MSRP that bothered me, but in the end I got the frames/lenses I wanted and am very happy with both pair.

16. CityConnection

Sorry I forgot to address that. I don't necessarily agree with charging more than msrp but if there are no competitors, in theory, they can charge whatever they want, if there is a demand. It's like those H&M collaborations, people resell it for more than msrp, but people still buy it. Beats me how that makes sense, but it happens.

17. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

This helped. Thanks for the reply.

18. CityConnection

19. Kross

Kross Senior member

I really like this frame from Warby Parker but I'm looking for something a little higher quality. Do you have any recommendations CC?

20. CityConnection

If it is the thin frame that you like, try looking at the new LUX Giorgio Armani, Lindberg (thin and light), Danish Design (a lot of thinner styles with nose pads), for a closer price point to Warby Parker but better quality look at MODO. Other brands will have a few pieces here and there but I think you'll get the best selection from those brands.