• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

lovelux2010

Reaction score
so, i finally settled on a conservative pair of Oliver Peoples (LanceR frame). Can anyone recommend an opticians in London who could put in good quality lenses (my prescription -6 and want lenses to fit in the frame without showing through), antiglare, etc..

any tips appreciated! i know there is david clulow and boots..not sure how their quality and pricing is though..

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who is familiar with "Executive Line" bifocals and in what situations are they recommended? My wife has macular degeneration and recently underwent cataract surgery in one eye. She waiting the month post-op and got a presciption was was poor for close vision. Doctor revised the prescription but recommended "Executive Line."

ambivalence

Reaction score
Hi guys which one will you recommend? Shuron rosir or warby parker begley>

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who is familiar with "Executive Line" bifocals and in what situations are they recommended? My wife has macular degeneration and recently underwent cataract surgery in one eye. She waiting the month post-op and got a presciption was was poor for close vision. Doctor revised the prescription but recommended "Executive Line."

Executive line at like flat tops but they are right across the lens. The top HALF will be distance and bottom HALF will be reading. They are not just small segments but the across the whole lens. Makes it easier to maximize her full visual capabilities.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why is it impossible to find decent frames for children? My son needs glasses (probably a 46 frame) and we are completely unable to find a pair of chunky black frames for him. Any ideas are welcomed, thanks.

Depending on how old he is, sometimes big heavy frames are not ideal because their nose structure has not hardened yet. Giving him a great heavy pair might affect how his nose develops. If you are looking for larger and thick but still light, look into LEGO frames. They look more industrial like mykita/ic berlin but still lighter than plastic.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi - I just bought a pair of tom ford 5116 eyeglasses online and had a few questions. They seem very bowed, meaning the earpiece bends in towards the back. Is this the style, or is this bowed feature standard on all frames, where an optometrist would properly bend them appropriately for you. At first they were uncomfortable but after 10 minutes or so they eased pressing against my head. Any advice?

Generally peoples heads tuck in behind the ear so making the temples bow is so that they don't press against your ears. Chances are, your head is not shaped like the "average" person. Go back and get them re-adjusted.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife tried on a Grant Italia frame and I asked the optician if this isn't part of Foster Grant. He said no but I'm slightly sceptical. I've looked on the web and and not still totally satisfied. The optician implied Grant Italia is higher in quality/more exclusive, or whatever. Said they're French and when I pointed out the "Italia" on the frame he implied the line is associated with several countries. I do know for a fact Foster Grant makes opthalmic eyewear - there are a lot of their frames one the web. I suppose he's right, though, but who knows for sure?

I'm not exactly sure if they are real or not, BUT there are tons of frames that say "Italia, Japan, France" but still manufactured in China. Be aware of what you are buying and do your homework.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Cityconnection,

Finally decided on my pair of glasses after trying quite a few on - Brox by oliver peoples.

I'll probably get it from a store such as this :

http://www.eyewearbrands.com/design...rox/oliver peoples ov5195 brox 1003 cocobolo/

My prescription is -2.00.

My question is: is there any point paying more for anything but the standard 1.5 lens at my prescription? If I go thinner, might it in fact look weird with the thickness of the frames?

Thanks for all your help in this thread.

IMO, you should go with at least a 1.56. CR39 and Poly are way too soft and will scratch very easily. Thinner lenses are always better in any situation, if your pocket book is thick enough. I would suggest to go with a 1.56 with anti reflection or Trivex with anti reflection. No need to go thinner and neveruse cr39 and poly. Hope that helps.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is your opinion on the overall quality (with a specific regard to durability, because i want my $300 glasses to last) on Gucci glasses? I recently purchased these in gold :

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod111540004

They look great in my opinion, but I'm just hoping they aren't cheap pieces of **** with "gucci" written on them.

Gucci are fair quality. Not high end but definitely not a waste of money. The quality is similar to that of Dior, Chanel, Prada, Boss and so on. At $300, that is a fair price for the frames. As long as you like them and enjoy them, nothing else matters. You didn't get ripped off.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I notice it when I clean them, and sometimes when I just pick them up. Naturally, last evening, there wasn't much clicking when I wanted to demonstrate with the optician - a little bit. Tried to get away from their air conditioner sound, but.... I wonder if I'm not just more sensative to the clicking in a plastic frame. I hadn't had an all-plastic frame for some time. Do you notice clicking with your plastic frames???

Yes. I think that it is probably:

1. The lens curvature and frame curvature are not perfectly the same which could cause a sound
2. The lens is too shallow in terms of depth compared to the frame, therefore flexing and popping

The lenses will probably still not "pop out" but we are talking about fractions of a millimeter.

my 2 cents.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking into getting a new pair of glasses in the higher end of the spectrum. What brands should I be looking out for? I'm thinking of Oliver Peoples and Salt (not even sure if they are considered high end).

There are tons of great brands out these days. Go to a well established boutique and ask what moves well and what would suit you.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

city connection, what's your take on carerra sunglasses today? not vintage ones. what is their classic style? plastic aviator?

Personally, I think they are NOT as well made as in the past. They are made like an Armani Exchange frame now instead of a Porshe Design. The quality is closer to that of Rayban. BUT the price also reflects it now, most of their pieces are sub $200.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience is only with sunglasses, but Salt seems to have much better build quality than Oliver Peoples IMO>

Did a little research and read that Salt was formed by people who left Oliver Peoples.
http://www.themalcolm.com/salt-optics-the-independent-optics-company/
You hit the nail on the head! These guys use to work for Oliver Peoples. One of the guys actually came into a shop that I use to work at and claimed he was one of the designers for Oliver Peoples. I later find out that he was in sales for Oliver Peoples and the designer from Salt use to work in production for Oliver Peoples. So yes it’s a total rip off of Oliver Peoples.

Don't know how true that is.

Well, they are similar in the fact that they market their LIFESTYLE as much as their frames. BUT, in terms of quality I can vouch that Salt does a god job.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coming for some last minute advice (I have already asked for some suggestions before):

Keen on these Gant Rugger Hamblin glasses, in terms of the shape of the acetate part, not too keen on the wire temples though:

However CC has scared me off the quality of Viva produced goods, also it only comes in one size (small). I have a big head, and will need something that comes in more of a 53-55 sort of size.

So I want something similar, but with acetate temples (thin, not too thick) in dark tortoise.

If you want some with metal temples similar to the pic that you just showed, I know G.Armani has a Heritage (I think it's called) collection that just came out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads