• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

estranged

Reaction score
Hello guys, I am very new into leather shoes, and recently bought dark brown double monks for my business casual outfit.

I found a decent discount for Santoni shoes, what do you think I could combine these taupe shoes with? Could I pull that off with some jeans? I don't wear full suit, usually jeans and shirt for my work which is office Big 4 environment.

Last edited:

Quesjac

Reaction score
Can someone explain the conversion for (German?) sizes that run in the nineties into regular Euro or Anglophone sizes?

Eg.

Konstantinos343

Reaction score
Hello guys, I am very new into leather shoes, and recently bought dark brown double monks for my business casual outfit.

I found a decent discount for Santoni shoes, what do you think I could combine these taupe shoes with? Could I pull that off with some jeans? I don't wear full suit, usually jeans and shirt for my work which is office Big 4 environment.

I would wear them with dark colour jeans.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but what kind of shoe is that? Is that plain toe debry? What do you think about color, is it versatile?

Yes, it's a derby due to the open lacing. The colour is not versatile - dark denim may rub off on it, it may become discoloured or stained in regular use, and it's innately a summer colour. Maybe a good purchase for the tenth shoe in your wardrobe but not the second or third.

abl

Reaction score
Thoughts about including a brown corduroy blazer as part of my rotation?

I am trying to build a wardrobe of blazers/sportcoats, and I know that the jcrew ludlow fits me well. I currently have a brown-grey herringbone tweed blazer and am looking for more. I know that brown cord isn't the standard second blazer that anyone would buy, but I'm trying to do this on a budget so if it's going to be a useful 3rd or 4th jacket I figured I'd buy it now when it's on sale ($100 for a ludlow jacket is pretty great).

(FWIW I'm a relatively young lawyer in a midwest city that is neither particularly dressy nor particularly casual.)

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category...UT&isFromSale=true&isNewSearch=true&hash=row0

abl

Reaction score
Also, thoughts about wearing a light linen or cotton suit jacket as a blazer? I know that it's generally considered a faux pas to wear a suit jacket without the suit pants (say, with jeans or something), but does that rule apply to light summer fabrics as well on jackets that include contrasting buttons and whatnot?

I have in mind something like this:

or this:

(Oxford cloth cotton)

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JCrew-298-M...380144?hash=item2367908630:g:-5AAAOSwKtVWxpnR

Or something similar in linen. Thanks!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys,

I have a question about reproofing water-repellent outerwear. I own a Norse Projects Nunk and a Fjallraven Greenland. I'm familiar with the reproofing process for the latter (mainly because of the giant step by step care instructions plastered on the interior of the jacket).

With the nunk however, I'm a little bit unsure about the process. I've read that you should wash waterproof jackets before reproofing so as to remove any oil or dirt stuck in the membranes(?) or something along those lines. The care instructions for the nunk however, appear to advise against machine wash. My questions are:

1. Is there any kind of Nik-Wax wash and proof like soap that I can use for a handwash of the jacket?

2. Whether anyone has machine washed (on low spin) the jacket before anyway?

Many thanks in advance!

I haven't looked in a while, but I am pretty sure you can use the Nikwax tech wash to handwash a garment. One thing I would note though is that you should use the spray on Durable Water Repellent, because if you use the wash in one you would be inadvertently coating the inside and outside rather than just the outside.

absolutelyl

Reaction score
I haven't looked in a while, but I am pretty sure you can use the Nikwax tech wash to handwash a garment. One thing I would note though is that you should use the spray on Durable Water Repellent, because if you use the wash in one you would be inadvertently coating the inside and outside rather than just the outside.

Thanks for the quick reply! Realised I posted this in the classic menswear thread and didn't wanna run afoul of any unspoken rules, so cross-posted it over at the general questions thread.

estranged

Reaction score
Yes, it's a derby due to the open lacing. The colour is not versatile - dark denim may rub off on it, it may become discoloured or stained in regular use, and it's innately a summer colour. Maybe a good purchase for the tenth shoe in your wardrobe but not the second or third.
Thank you.

Another question, are these shoes good year welted, or it's not possible to tell from the picture:

http://www.to-be-dressed.nl/van-bommel-boots-cognac-16.html
or these for example:
https://www.vanarendonk.nl/heren/magnanni/17326-conac-veterboot/cognac/822.13.5

and in general, is it possible to say which of these two shoes is better based on pictures/descriptions alone?

Last edited:

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very difficult to give an opinion on quality based on a photo alone. I would think it highly likely both are Blake construction. I am not suggesting they are perfect, but for that sort of money I would be looking at Meermin or perhaps hoping Rider Boot Co put something in their sale section (which may also be Blake constructed but using likely higher quality materials).

Edit - too big but this sort of thing from Rider:

http://riderboot.com/shop/faris/

Or this from Meermin:

https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=2792

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads