• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Post pics, not links.

changed my mind. would either of these work? feel free to tell me if you think they're ugly...

mainly to be worn with chinos

thanks!

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Slh

Reaction score
I decided to get rid of all my ill fitting odd jackets and at the moment I only own a navy hopsack blazer which is very light so only suited for summer. For max versatility I would like to add a navy jacket for the winter months. I live in a mild climate place so I don't need extremely heavy fabrics. Then I would like to add a brown jacket, in tweed probably, but at the moment I want to focus on the navy jacket.
What would be a good fabric for a winter navy blazer? Obviously something versatile that would go with flannel trousers, cords, etc.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
When wearing clothing with texture is it advisable to make sure the types of texture are disparate? For example, if I have a blue herringbone tweed jacket and brown herringbone tweed pants, should I avoid wearing them together?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What tie brands should I look at that are a step above the Tie Bar?

Not an exhaustive list, and various exceptions exist, but -

Kiton, Borrelli, Attolini, Isaia, Bulgari, Charvet, Marinella, Hermes, Carlo Franco, Sam Hober.

Perhaps a little below those, are Brioni, Stefano Ricci, Nicky of Milan, Drake, Holliday & Brown, Turnbull & Asser, Massimo Bizzocchi, Breuer, Robert Talbott (the sevenfolds and the Best of Class line), Four in Hand, Zegna (but not the Villa Bolgheri line), Canali.

Dropping down another step might be Altea, Pucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Zegna Villa Bolgheri line, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Robert Talbott's lesser lines, and Brooks Brothers.

I've compiled this list based largely on things other people have posted. And since some of the posts are nearly a decade old, the ratings may have changed over time. I have little to no personal experience with most of the aforementioned brands. I usually just buy Brooks (usually during a great sale, although I'm perfectly willing to buy new Brooks ties off of eBay for a fraction of their normal selling price). I do own (and wear) the odd Robert Talbott, Tie Bar, Lands' End, etc.

If I were to look for something nicer than Brooks, I'd just order a tie from Sam Hober, and call it a day.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the quality on the Tie Bar ties good.

Tie Bar ties have been addressed previously, both here on SF, and elsewhere. What did you think of these past discussions and reviews when you looked at them? Was there some aspect of the ties upon which nobody has touched, and which is personally important to you?

I have one, but can't really tell.
Realistically, if you already own one, and you're satisfied with it, then I'd maintain that pretty much by definition, you find it to be a satisfactory tie.

Sure, there may be ties which are of better quality in various ways, but if, as you suggest, differences in tie quality are largely lost on you ("can't tell"), then to you those quality differences have little real significance. So why worry about them?

To give a personal example, to me all whiskey tastes equally vile. I have friends who are whiskey connoisseurs. Thanks to them, I've tried some fairly expensive, well regarded whiskeys. But whether it's from a >$100 bottle of Laphroaig or Glenfiddich, or from a <$10 bottle that would cause a whiskey lover to recoil in horror, it's all the same to me. So for me to worry about the quality of the whiskey I'm drinking is rather pointless; I can detect no difference whatsoever.

(On those occasions when I buy one of them a nice bottle as a gift, I simply buy whichever Scotch whiskey I've heard them speak of in favorable terms, and which falls into the desired price range. Same way that when they buy me a bottle of wine, I suspect they go to the store and buy whichever bottle has a little card next to it, saying "95 points from Wine Spectator!")

From a price point perspective, it's a pretty low bar.
Agreed, even with the price hike up to $20, they're fairly inexpensive for new neckties.

Rrd0084

Reaction score
Is there some definitive answer to how low the lowest button should be on an overcoat?

I have one with 3 buttons single breasted with a fourth button at the stop to close up the lapels but is normally hidden.

What is the lowest the button should go that would be acceptable?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tie Bar ties have been addressed previously, both here on SF, and elsewhere. What did you think of these past discussions and reviews when you looked at them? Was there some aspect of the ties upon which nobody has touched, and which is personally important to you?
Realistically, if you already own one, and you're satisfied with it, then I'd maintain that pretty much by definition, you find it to be a satisfactory tie.

Sure, there may be ties which are of better quality in various ways, but if, as you suggest, differences in tie quality are largely lost on you ("can't tell"), then to you those quality differences have little real significance. So why worry about them?

To give a personal example, to me all whiskey tastes equally vile. I have friends who are whiskey connoisseurs. Thanks to them, I've tried some fairly expensive, well regarded whiskeys. But whether it's from a >$100 bottle of Laphroaig or Glenfiddich, or from a <$10 bottle that would cause a whiskey lover to recoil in horror, it's all the same to me. So for me to worry about the quality of the whiskey I'm drinking is rather pointless; I can detect no difference whatsoever.

(On those occasions when I buy one of them a nice bottle as a gift, I simply buy whichever Scotch whiskey I've heard them speak of in favorable terms, and which falls into the desired price range. Same way that when they buy me a bottle of wine, I suspect they go to the store and buy whichever bottle has a little card next to it, saying "95 points from Wine Spectator!")
Agreed, even with the price hike up to $20, they're fairly inexpensive for new neckties.
Honestly haven't seen the discussions regarding The Tie Bar before on SF. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I do feel like my more expensive ties are nicer. But then again maybe it's a placebo affect. I received the Tie Bar one as a gift.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads