• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Flokk

Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm a first year law student, and just turned 33 - past the age where bad fashion is forgiven. Not headed to biglaw this summer, but I'm at a so-called "top school" and regularly attend lots of informal (biz casual) events. Will likely be attending much of the same at the small office I'm heading to this summer. I've been slumming it in jeans, linen, and my trusty lineup of AE bluchers so far, with a decent Tom Ford MTM for interviews, but I'm tired of looking like a jerk in my 30's. It's time to take it up a notch.

So I'm looking to pick up 1-2 blazers - at least one linen/cotton and unlined/lightly-structured for summer use - that I can wear to business casual receptions, class occasionally, and around town, without looking like an arsehole but low-key and decent.

I'm a big guy at 6'2" and a pretty well built 240lbs. Tan skin (brown is out). I wear a 44L-46(L). The JC Ludlow is out with those pencil lapels. The JC Crosby is all backordered. I recently tried Suit Supply Napoli but even sizing up to a 46L, my shoulders and biceps are just too wide. I've been all over the place trying to find something and am basically out of ideas.

I'd like to keep total expenses under $700-1000 USD for 2 blazers, or $350-500 USD for 1 blazer. But, I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" so for sure willing to step up in price for something I can wear, occasionally, in 5 years time, and that will set me apart in a good way for the time being.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations?

Many (many) thanks in advance.

(cross-posted here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/518445/blazer-recommendations-old-guy-law-student)

facet

Reaction score

Hey facet,

Yes to the olive! I think they look great, are a bit different and can pair unusually well with a wide variety of pants/shirts/tie combos.

I bought one here and have been really happy with it, it's one of my favourite coats to wear.

Now it might be a looong shot, but you can try to message Spoo and see if he still has them for sale (and depending on your size).

The link to the ones I purchased is:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/417031/...caruso-sportcoats-man-1924-army-field-jackets

Hey Reynolds

Thanks, yeah, the more pics I see of olive pairings, the more I like the idea of it. Thanks for the link, none of the sizes work for me, unfortunately. But thanks for the feedback, that gives me a little more confidence to go on the hunt; it's surprising how rare it is to find.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey all. just got a new job and it will be a business casual environment. think chinos and OCBD and the occasional pair of dark denim.

a couple questions:

1. can you recommend me a general style of shoe that looks/works best for this environment? maybe a brogued oxford (pictured below is the AE McTavish) or a Chelsea boot (are Clarks Desert Boots too casual?)?

2. would Wolverine 1000 Miles be considered way too casual? they're the rust color if it matters.

thanks!

hanbei23

Reaction score
hey all. just got a new job and it will be a business casual environment. think chinos and OCBD and the occasional pair of dark denim.

a couple questions:

1. can you recommend me a general style of shoe that looks/works best for this environment? maybe a brogued oxford (pictured below is the AE McTavish) or a Chelsea boot (are Clarks Desert Boots too casual?)?

2. would Wolverine 1000 Miles be considered way too casual? they're the rust color if it matters.

thanks!

Clarks Desert Boots

hanbei23

Reaction score
Clarks Desert Boots and Wolverine would be too casual.

i suppose you could wear them, but even in a casual environment, you should try to come across as a bit polished. AE Mctavish works as do Chelsea boots, derbies, etc.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a couple questions:

thanks!

Think McTavish is fine. I think Chelseas will look too casual too as I think you should at least have laces even in a "business casual" environment.

Wolverines would definitely be too casual IMO.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think McTavish is fine. I think Chelseas will look too casual too as I think you should at least have laces even in a "business casual" environment.

Wolverines would definitely be too casual IMO.

This doesn't make any sense.

I have a pair of suede side zips I used to wear to work with a jacket and tie and they looked fine. Chelseas are fine too but it depends on how dressy/distressed they are.

Re: Clarks, it really really depends on the office. I wouldn't wear them everyday but should be fine once in a while if you can wear chino's and a shirt sans tie.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of suede side zips I used to wear to work with a jacket and tie and they looked fine. Chelseas are fine too but it depends on how dressy/distressed they are.

Re: Clarks, it really really depends on the office. I wouldn't wear them everyday but should be fine once in a while if you can wear chino's and a shirt sans tie.
I'm sure they're fine, I just think given two shoes/boots with the same shape, color, leather, etc., a pair with laces will look more appropriate in an office.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

let's put it this way. in the interview i was told to "never wear a tie again" and that jeans 5 days a week "isn't out of the question".

armsignet

Reaction score
Telling an orphaned suit jacket form a sport coat:

Based on this tag, I would guess that this is a suit jacket given the "6" in the "48 R 6" European size. I assume that the 6 indicates the drop of the trousers. Thoughts?

I see many nice but pricy jackets, and it is hard to tell for some just from style if they are orphans or not. The style of the fabric, buttons, and pockets seems consistent with a suit jacket.

JIngerle

Reaction score

Quick Question: I was thinking of getting a black silk knit slim tie. The two options on the table are the Land's End one or something like it, ie plain black or I saw one at Club Monaco that's black with two white stripes across it near the bottom... My concern was that I couldn't wear it with a shirt other then white.

Would it still work to wear a black tie with white strip on something like a plain blue shirt? (I was thinking to add a white PS to accent?)

It could work as the tie should contrast a little bit to the rest of your outfit. With bow ties coming back in you don't have to be so conservative. This tie combo could work with other shirts depending on the shade of blue.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a better choice in the strictest sense of what is "optimal", but sometimes people don't have the wardrobe or budget to have many items. In any case, many members who DO own many shoes, still wear suede chelseas or chukkas with suits occasionally. Especially if he already has formal black shoes, then it's perfectly fine to have a pair for more casual days.

Well, imo anyway. Brown calf chukkas or something like suede single monks would also be viable choices, but when someone specifically wants something that goes well with more casual clothes too, I don't think dark suede or boots that are relatively simple in design is a bad idea.

Personally, I wear my chocolate suede chukkas (which are more dressy than something like Clark's) with suits on a fairly regular basis. Yes, it does dress down the suit and I wouldn't wear it when I needed to be at my most formal, but on an average day where I just need to be in coat and tie, they're a nice look.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Telling an orphaned suit jacket form a sport coat:

Based on this tag, I would guess that this is a suit jacket given the "6" in the "48 R 6" European size. I assume that the 6 indicates the drop of the trousers. Thoughts?

I see many nice but pricy jackets, and it is hard to tell for some just from style if they are orphans or not. The style of the fabric, buttons, and pockets seems consistent with a suit jacket.

hindi ako

Reaction score
Hi gents,

Very much a newbie here, getting older and looking to up my style. Looking for some advice and tips with separate colour jacket and trouser combinations.

I understand not to mix suit jackets and trousers of different colours, but should be buying odd jackets.

What's the general rule with regards to materials? Should the jacket and trousers always be exactly the same? Are Chinos appropriate for all odd blazers or is that more casual than say odd flannel trousers.

Just to say I live in a very hot country so wool is probably out of the question, but do return home to the UK in winter, so all round advice for wearing separate blazer and trouser combinations would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi gents,
Very much a newbie here, getting older and looking to up my style. Looking for some advice and tips with separate colour jacket and trouser combinations.

I understand not to mix suit jackets and trousers of different colours, but should be buying odd jackets.

What's the general rule with regards to materials? Should the jacket and trousers always be exactly the same? Are Chinos appropriate for all odd blazers or is that more casual than say odd flannel trousers. 

Just to say I live in a very hot country so wool is probably out of the question, but do return home to the UK in winter, so all round advice for wearing separate blazer and trouser combinations would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Cream linen blazer, brown linen blazer, blue hopsack blazer.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ziyachater