• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

KCKing

Reaction score
This is a tough question, tougher than you may think.

Brooks Brothers is a quintessential American brand. They invented the OCBD. So, depending on which country you're talking about (I'm not sure there would be one for all of Europe), you'd need to think of some brand that truly represents that country's sartorial heritage.

If you're just looking for a European brand that makes clothes that look similar to Brooks Brothers, I'm sure it's not hard to find some companies that make OCBDs, sweaters, suits, etc. i.e. more traditionally-skewed menswear.

JHT652

Reaction score
Picked up four Turnbull & Asser ties on heavy discount. Thinking of flipping, returning three and keeping one. Any thoughts on which, if any to keep? I think im swaying towards the far right as this would be the most versatile?

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an Italian retailer named Boggi that may be considered their version of Brooks Brothers.

For a Ralph Lauren equivalent? I guess Caruso? I think Caruso makes, or made, stuff for Ralph Lauren.
I know about Boggi. Can Boggi be compared to BB in terms of quality?

Doesn't Caruso just make suits and jackets? Yeah, Caruso makes some (or all of the) Purple Label suits.

Louys

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been thinking about getting a pair of red wings. Is there any retailer that's known to sell them at discount on occasion? Thanks in advance.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up four Turnbull & Asser ties on heavy discount. Thinking of flipping, returning three and keeping one. Any thoughts on which, if any to keep? I think im swaying towards the far right as this would be the most versatile?

2,3, and 4 are all quite versatile. 1 is a little less so, but still a very nice looking tie IMO. If limited to one, I would choose either 2 or 3, but which one is best for you depends on what ties you have now and if one fills a gap in your tie wardrobe. I have a brooks tie very similar to 2 that gets a lot of wear, if you don't have much in purple, it can be a very nice color.

p.henrik

Reaction score

2,3, and 4 are all quite versatile. 1 is a little less so, but still a very nice looking tie IMO. If limited to one, I would choose either 2 or 3, but which one is best for you depends on what ties you have now and if one fills a gap in your tie wardrobe. I have a brooks tie very similar to 2 that gets a lot of wear, if you don't have much in purple, it can be a very nice color.

Don't love any of them. I'd rank them 3,4,2,1 with the top 2 the only ones I'd wear. Purple is a difficult color, needs to be the right shade to not look cheap and that purple doesn't make the cut.

JHT652

Reaction score

Don't love any of them. I'd rank them 3,4,2,1 with the top 2 the only ones I'd wear. Purple is a difficult color, needs to be the right shade to not look cheap and that purple doesn't make the cut.

Thanks for the input gents. I already have a purple tie and don't think I would get the use from a second one. I also already have something similar to 4, so perhaps 3 is the keeper :)

vafan13

Reaction score
Another wedding question...

Going with non-uniform navy suits if someone ends up in something like either of the below will that be OK or do I at least need to keep them all in more plain navy?

E TF

Reaction score

Another wedding question... Going with non-uniform navy suits if someone ends up in something like either of the below will that be OK or do I at least need to keep them all in more plain navy?
The general rule is that stripes are considered too business-like for a wedding. The first one, a glen check, would be great though.

vafan13

Reaction score
The general rule is that stripes are considered too business-like for a wedding. The first one, a glen check, would be great though.

Wonderful, thank you! If two people end up in the same suit (only so many lower priced navy suits out there) will that make it look odd or do I just need to separate them in the lineup?

Last edited:

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice ties...compliments

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads