• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I was indeed thinking of cotton. Linen on linen seems a bit to matchy texture-wise.

When it's really hot it's all you really can wear. I actually much prefer linen with linen as when the fabric of the jacket starts (or vice versa) to look wrinkle it looks quite sloppy against the still uniform fabric of the trousers (or jacket, as above) if they are in cotton.

Last edited:

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
When it's really hot it's all you really can wear. I actually much prefer linen with linen as when the fabric of the jacket starts (or vice versa) to look wrinkle it looks quite sloppy against the still uniform fabric of the trousers (or jacket, as above) if they are in cotton.
+1. Not to mention that the cotton trousers will wrinkle as well, but look sloppy themselves as cotton doesn't wrinkle in nearly as 'attractive' a manner as linen does - its appearance is clearly the nature of the fabric, which you're wearing due to the heat, whereas the appearance of cotton is simply that you don't care that your garment is wrinkled.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I saw the SS Washingtons earlier, and the peak lapels are a bit too much for me.
If the peak lapels are too much (I agree), check into the Havana models; I have the below jacket, which isn't as light of a shade as you're looking for, but is actually much lighter in sunlight than it appears on the website, and, personally, I wouldn't want it much lighter:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jack...ackets&prefn1=collection&prefv1=Spring/Summer

DjangoV

Reaction score

When it's really hot it's all you really can wear.

Good point. Didn't think about that

I actually much prefer linen with linen as when the fabric of the jacket starts (or vice versa) to look wrinkle it looks quite sloppy against the still uniform fabric of the trousers (or jacket, as above) if they are in cotton.

Although I agree with what you are saying: how is this different from a (less wrinkled) shirt., which will likely also be cotton fabric. Or should the shirt also be non-cotton?

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Although I agree with what you are saying: how is this different from a (less wrinkled) shirt., which will likely also be cotton fabric. Or should the shirt also be non-cotton?

I know you're not asking me, but a shirt worn with a jacket should virtually always be some weave of cotton. To be more in line with the texture of the linen, you can consider more textured cottons - twill, oxford cloth, and so forth - but up to a point, I wouldn't sweat it that much. The difference compared to the trousers is that, yes, a shirt will not wrinkle as much assuming it's of decent quality and ironed/starched - or even god forbid (kidding) a non-iron treated shirt - and a few wrinkles are expected in any shirt by the end of the day, whereas cotton trousers can become much more wrinkled and much, much faster.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's are people's thoughts on wearing a button down collar unbuttoned. I was trying to put on a sport coat with this shirt today, and, as you can see, with it buttoned it's almost a Nehru collar, and just won't synergise with the collar of any jacket I try on. I bought the shirt to wear without a jacket, so I'm not really bothered if it doesn't work, but it would be a bonus if I could wear it with one.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why are single vented jackets eschewed on SF or in general?

IMO the double vent fans are more vocal about their preference. I suspect that if you polled every SF member you would find that most would fall into the "prefer single vent" or "single or double vent are both equally good" camps. I am in the latter.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's are people's thoughts on wearing a button down collar unbuttoned. I was trying to put on a sport coat with this shirt today, and, as you can see, with it buttoned it's almost a Nehru collar, and just won't synergise with the collar of any jacket I try on. I bought the shirt to wear without a jacket, so I'm not really bothered if it doesn't work, but it would be a bonus if I could wear it with one.
The pic makes the collar size appear to be too small for you. Can you comfortably button the top button on that shirt? An extra 1/2 inch or inch in neck size will give a better look with the points buttoned down. Unbuttoned points always make we wonder whether the wearer forgot to button the after laundering.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why are single vented jackets eschewed on SF or in general? Does anyone wear no vent? I remember reading how they were ubiquitous in movies of the 30's and 40's because they somehow look better on screen.
No vent was popular in the 90's.

They can still look damn good but they're out of fashion so you won't see them much here. They often sell for much less just because of that reason.

People think double vent drapes better, but it depends on your body. They're also more italian cut most of the time.
Take that for what you will.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No vent was popular in the 90's.

They can still look damn good but they're out of fashion so you won't see them much here. They often sell for much less just because of that reason.

People think double vent drapes better, but it depends on your body. They're also more italian cut most of the time.
Take that for what you will.

I think single vent is ok as well, but again depends on body type. Single vent not very popular on SF either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads