• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

free-man

Reaction score
Anyone knows if this "gap" in the stitching of the leather sole of new MOMA boots is a defect?
Will it shorten the life of the sole?

The shop (in Belgium) where I made the purchase told me that they have contacted a MOMA representative to examine the picture.
What do you think?

tcln1456

Reaction score
  • @12345Michael54321

I'd be primarily using the parka to walk around campus in single digit weather, about 10-20 minutes at a time. I'm
in the Midwest, so we get some pretty unpredictable weather.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone knows if this "gap" in the stitching of the leather sole of new MOMA boots is a defect? Will it shorten the life of the sole?
The shop (in Belgium) where I made the purchase told me that they have contacted a MOMA representative to examine the picture. What do you think?
Without being an expert on it, I can't see any reason why this would have intentionally been done,

TJhambone09

Reaction score

What does the SF community think of Charles Tyrwhitt? Specifically their tuxedoes...

They are my favorite shirt, mainly due to their slim fit being a perfect fit for me and quality for the price. No idea about their tuxes though.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be primarily using the parka to walk around campus in single digit weather, about 10-20 minutes at a time. I'm in the Midwest, so we get some pretty unpredictable weather.

Okay, so you really don't need an expedition quality parka for short walks around campus.

Honestly, both L.L. Bean and Lands' End are sure to have parkas on end-of-season sale any day now, if they haven't been marked down already. Browse the companies' websites, read the customer reviews of the parkas that appeal to you, and buy accordingly. Both companies are easy when it comes to returns, so you'll have that going for you.

I'll add that, if in doubt, you'd probably be better off with a medium-warmth parka and layering, than you will be with the warmest parka you can buy. And that much as I dislike the overly short and close-fitting look in suits and sports coats, an overly short and close-fitting parka is even worse. A picture of such an item ought to accompany the definition of "ridiculous," in the dictionary. (I doubt whether Bean and LE style many of their parkas that way, but you never know.)

tcln1456

Reaction score
Okay, so you really don't need an expedition quality parka for short walks around campus.

Honestly, both L.L. Bean and Lands' End are sure to have parkas on end-of-season sale any day now, if they haven't been marked down already. Browse the companies' websites, read the customer reviews of the parkas that appeal to you, and buy accordingly. Both companies are easy when it comes to returns, so you'll have that going for you.

I'll add that, if in doubt, you'd probably be better off with a medium-warmth parka and layering, than you will be with the warmest parka you can buy. And that much as I dislike the overly short and close-fitting look in suits and sports coats, an overly short and close-fitting parka is even worse. A picture of such an item ought to accompany the definition of "ridiculous," in the dictionary. (I doubt whether Bean and LE style many of their parkas that way, but you never know.)
What do you think of AI's M-3B?

http://www.alphaindustries.com/Mens-Parkas/Alpha-Industries-Slim-Fit-N-3B-Parka.asp

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm new to colored denim. Which of these shoes would pair best with these maroon jeans? Black monk, blue suede, or walnut blucher?

Thanks in advance!

Chillax

Reaction score

Ok, so I'm new to colored denim. Which of these shoes would pair best with these maroon jeans? Black monk, blue suede, or walnut blucher?

Thanks in advance!

The blue suede. The colors look good together , plus that's a more casual shoe than the others and so goes better with jeans

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The blue suede. The colors look good together , plus that's a more casual shoe than the others and so goes better with jeans
Thank you sir!

free-man

Reaction score
Without being an expert on it, I can't see any reason why this would have intentionally been done,
So you are suggesting that this was not supposed to happen during production and that it is (whether or not a serious one) a defect. Am I right?

Last edited:

RPM1

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the versatility of Loake Jack brown suede shoes?

I think they would work with charcoal flannel trousers and a sports jacket, on the more formal end of the spectrum.

J011yroger

Reaction score
I have two very similar pair from different not quite as good makers.

I absolutely loved them, bought them, wore them like 5 times right away, and now it seems I wear them like twice a year because there is always a better option.

Regarding when to wear them, I wear mine mostly with jeans. I wouldn't wear them with gray trousers/navy blazer as that I feel requires a bit more dressy shoe, probably not with charcoal at all but with medium gray and a more casual SC. For sure with Chinos, or a more tweedy county outfit. I've worn mine with seersucker when I didn't want to wear bucs (I want tan/white spectators so bad).

J

J011yroger

Reaction score
Omfg, I wrote "like twice a year"! I hope I'm not turning into a valley girl.

I meant to say "approximately twice per year" I swear.

J

RPM1

Reaction score
Thanks, J011yroger.

Yes, I agree that a navy blazer would probably not be workable, although anything less formal could probably look quite balanced. Concerning the flannel charcoal trousers, I think the heavier, softer fabric texture could take precedence over the darker grey in this instance. And if also paired with a v-neck jumper or something like a tweed sports coat, it should be workable.

Further, I feel that suede is perhaps more forgiving than leather shoes in similar, lighter colouring. And therefore could add something a little different but still elegant, while maintaining relative formality if paired with the correct attire. Having said that, they are intended for more casual wear, with the option of being a little more smartly dressed on the odd day.

Surely, I should be able to get more than twice a year use out of them, as I intend to wear them as a second or third pair?

Edit:

I should clarify, the last sentence was not meant as a disagreement but rather an invitation for more opinions.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads