• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to learn a little about fit. I've slimmed down recently and have been trying some slim-fitting shirts. To varying degrees, most of them seem to pull a little from the second-to-top button to about 2/3 down the shoulder. Here's the most exaggerated example that I have:

What aspect of the shirt (or of my body) causes this? Is it something that can be inexpensively tailored? Pictured is a Ralph Lauren slim fit.

Thanks in advance.

Too tight I think. Cut not good for u
Let's see what others also say about that

SBear

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn a little about fit. I've slimmed down recently and have been trying some slim-fitting shirts. To varying degrees, most of them seem to pull a little from the second-to-top button to about 2/3 down the shoulder. Here's the most exaggerated example that I have:

What aspect of the shirt (or of my body) causes this? Is it something that can be inexpensively tailored? Pictured is a Ralph Lauren slim fit.

Thanks in advance.
Looks to me like your shoulders are too broad for this shirt, which is causing the V wrinkle. Problem with many slim fit shirts is that the slimming is done primarily (or completely) by narrowing the entire torso (keeping more or less vertical sides). Many people who want a more shaped fit want a shirt that TAPERS more than standard (in a jacket we would call this a 'drop', as the difference between chest and waist measurements). The result is that when you find a shirt that fits the shoulders the waist is still too wide (can be corrected by a tailor) or that when you find a shirt that fits in the waist, the shoulders are too narrow (which really isn't reasonably fixable).

J011yroger

Reaction score

Looks to me like your shoulders are too broad for this shirt, which is causing the V wrinkle. Problem with many slim fit shirts is that the slimming is done primarily (or completely) by narrowing the entire torso (keeping more or less vertical sides). Many people who want a more shaped fit want a shirt that TAPERS more than standard (in a jacket we would call this a 'drop', as the difference between chest and waist measurements). The result is that when you find a shirt that fits the shoulders the waist is still too wide (can be corrected by a tailor) or that when you find a shirt that fits in the waist, the shoulders are too narrow (which really isn't reasonably fixable).

What is the approximate cost to have a shirt tapered? I have quite a few that are too blousey when tucked in, and I'm not sure if I should just buy slimmer ones, or bother having them altered.

J

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the approximate cost to have a shirt tapered? I have quite a few that are too blousey when tucked in, and I'm not sure if I should just buy slimmer ones, or bother having them altered.

J

Try darts should be cheaper
It's a stitch that tapers

Terpo

Reaction score
If you get an MTM shirt is it a better idea to get darts made into the shirt by the tailor or have less fabric at the back? And if darts is the option, how do you specify the amount of cloth to taper?

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Overall, I think it looks pretty nice. Two minor quibbles:

1. I think I'd prefer the jacket sleeves just a bit longer.
2. Not sure about the buttons on the coat--seem a little big.

But again, solid effort overall!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with loarbmhs; the jacket sleeves could stand to be just a little longer.

I don't agree with him with regard to the buttons. The jacket buttons don't seem freakishly large to me, although I accept that judging their precise size is difficult in a small picture. But in any case, it's a blazer. Blazer buttons are permitted - some might even argue, expected - to call more attention to themselves than are most other sport coat buttons, or certainly most suit coat buttons. I mean, they're routinely metallic and bear crests or other emblems, so clearly going unnoticed isn't the main objective.

As for the rest of it, while the jacket appears to be a more modern fit (I prefer a more traditional fit), it's certainly not freakishly short or tight, so good enough. The shirt looks okay, what little can be seen of it. The pants look a little more snug in the thigh than I'd prefer (but as I've already noted, I prefer more traditional fits). The color match between pants and jacket is okay.

Overall, not really an A+, but certainly a credible effort.

jpjdavid83

Reaction score
I'm really interested in purchasing my first pair of AE. I hope you guys can help me out with some of my questions.

1. Is the sizing chart in the AE website accurate? I understand that it will always be best if I go to an actual store but in my case that is not possible since AE is not available locally in my country (Philippines). Based on the chart my shoe size is a 9D.

2. I am currently looking at either the Strand or the Mcallister. Any inputs on which I should get first would be highly appreciated. Also since I am a size 9D do I need to size up/down based on these shoe models?

3. If I am going to buy second hand shoes, what are the things that I should look/check out for?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm really interested in purchasing my first pair of AE. I hope you guys can help me out with some of my questions.

1. Is the sizing chart in the AE website accurate? I understand that it will always be best if I go to an actual store but in my case that is not possible since AE is not available locally in my country (Philippines). Based on the chart my shoe size is a 9D.

2. I am currently looking at either the Strand or the Mcallister. Any inputs on which I should get first would be highly appreciated. Also since I am a size 9D do I need to size up/down based on these shoe models?

3. If I am going to buy second hand shoes, what are the things that I should look/check out for?

Thanks.
1. Size chart is hard to use... I'd go one size down from your sneaker size. I wear a 7 in Nikes, and a 6 in AE. The size chart might be good for determining the width.
2. Get Walnut Strands, hands down the best shoe they make - they'll change your life. The Strand last is "longer" than some of their other ones I think, but in reality, if you're new AE, you won't notice (I didn't). See #1 regarding sizing.
3. Make sure there's no cracks in the upper, and that the soles aren't too worn down.

Also, spend some time on the AE appreciation thread - it's chock full of info.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads