• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick advice question...

I'll be going in for an in person interview for a graphic/web design position in Silicon Valley (San Jose, CA).

What sort of dress would be appropriate for this type of interview? I don't think that a suit and tie gives the right vibe. But how can I be creative with it and show that I am well put together?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick advice question...

I'll be going in for an in person interview for a graphic/web design position in Silicon Valley (San Jose, CA).

What sort of dress would be appropriate for this type of interview? I don't think that a suit and tie gives the right vibe. But how can I be creative with it and show that I am well put together?
I think smart casual is the way to go here. I agree you probably don't want to come across as a stuffed shirt or a wannabe investment banker, but you want to show some respect with regards to your dress as well. A jacket and odd pants with or without a tie might be more appropriate if the workplace is very casual, even for an interview.

oxfordamerican

Reaction score
It is in fact a suit, but I am finding the occasions to wear it as such to be quite limited so I was looking for ways to get more millage out of it. :)

Thank you for the insight, I agree fully with that comment. Pairing the strong check pattern with the double-breasted configuration was perhaps a little too much at once.
Luckily I did not pay much so it was a rather affordable lesson.

For some reason I'm still tempted to have another DB suit made up in a brown moderate size houndstooth, or plaid DB sportscoat... I'm a bad learner it seems. :p

I tried both black and charcoal, black looks a little better imo.
Very light blue shirt looks better then darker light blue.
My only burgundy tie is wool knit, so I paired with a white silk square.
I don't own any black wholecuts, but plain toe black double monks (that I wanted to find get more use out of as well) work really well.
Sorry for the crappy photo tough.

Overall it feels like a very sleek and balanced black-white-red-light blue combo.
(The sleeves on the shirt I'm wearing are way too to short, but that's wholly a shirt-issue).

I do regret that I had button stance put made so low, not sure what I think about the patch pockets.
Considering having the tailor nip the jacket in 1-2 cm in the waist, but I'm not really sure how the DB should fit here. The inner button is really loose and could easily be an inch or tighter, but does the inner panel on the DB need/should be buttoned as tight as the outer button? A tailors thread question, I assume.
Will need some decent black pants (wearing awful ones from awful black suit).

Thanks for your input!

I'm not at all qualified to answer any of your technical questions, but I think you look terrific. I can't say for sure because I'm not you and I'm not wearing the jacket, but it certainly looks like it fits quite well. I tend to dislike patch pockets on suits and sport coats, but this is a personal preference and the overall ensemble looks so well put together that I can easily get past it. The only thing I would do differently is swap the knit tie for a silk tie of the same color with subtle or no pattern. I have no problem with the knit tie itself, but I think it clashes with the slight formality of a double breasted jacket. If you still have reservations about the way this looks as a sport coat, then I would take mimo's advice and just wear it as a suit. You are going to look good either way. No need to drive yourself crazy.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick advice question...

Casual sportcoat, oxford, knit tie, khakis?

Last edited:

kmitch101

Reaction score
I'm looking to round out my shoe collection. I'm mid-20's and wear business casual for work, so don't need too many dress shoes at the moment. You can see by what I have below that I'm not in the high-end/baller category. The shoes with stars (*) are one's that I'm considering purchasing. Maybe not the exact brand, but at least the type of shoe. Are there any pairs I should/shouldn't get? Any I should replace or get rid of? Any that I might want to add to round out the collection? I'm not a big fan of loafers, monks, high boots.

-- Dress --
Black AE Park Ave
Brown AE Strand
*Black Kent Wang Plain toe bal
*Brown Kent Wang Captoe or Brown AE Park Ave

-- Casual --
Brown AE Kenilworth
Walnut AE Kenilworth
Snuff AE Amok Chukka
Brown Loake Kempton Chukka
*Beige Bucks and/or Chukka (something like Church's Sahara or similar) to replace my old Calvin Kleins
*White's Semi Dress Boots or similar for bad weather

Light Brown/Snuff Sebago Docksiders
Navy Sebago Docksiders

Grey Suede Puma Luxe
*White Kent Wang Sneakers to replace old white sneakers

GreenGranted

Reaction score
My question:

What color shoe is most versatile? I'm going to buy a pair of Clark's desert boots, I'm a 20 year old student, wardrobe consists of colorful shirts, blue/brown v necks, chinos/jeans, mostly.

I'm thinking black or darker brown. But I like the tan Clarks a lot as well.

Thanks in advance.

Aeren

Reaction score
base on the question on shirt's placket interlining,does a interlining (said,on a french front) really help to increase it life?or its just for let the front drape better? To lining or not lining ?

Aeren

Reaction score
base on the question on shirt's placket interlining,does a interlining (said,on a french front) really help to increase it life?or its just for let the front drape better? To lining or not lining ?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For hangers, is it any worse if I have most of my tops hung with a broader shoulder hanger?

I know if hangers are too short it can cause the fabric to stretch and raise up at the points. Most of my tops measure 17.5-18" so would a 21" broad shoulder hanger warp the cloth as bad? (21" x 2" to be exact. Currently using some hangers I got from Ikea)

powenb

Reaction score
I am going to a wedding in Sorrento, Italy later this year. It is a hotel, not a church wedding.

Do you think a Navy double breasted blazer with cream trousers plus the obvious shirt and tie are acceptable?

p.s. There is no dress code on the invite.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score

For hangers, is it any worse if I have most of my tops hung with a broader shoulder hanger?

I know if hangers are too short it can cause the fabric to stretch and raise up at the points. Most of my tops measure 17.5-18" so would a 21" broad shoulder hanger warp the cloth as bad? (21" x 2" to be exact. Currently using some hangers I got from Ikea)

What do you mean by "tops"? Suit jackets and odd jackets should be hung on broad shouldered hangers. Shirts can be hung on narrow shirt hangers if you like (I prefer them folded). Knitwear should be folded, never hung.

I am going to a wedding in Sorrento, Italy later this year. It is a hotel, not a church wedding.

Do you think a Navy double breasted blazer with cream trousers plus the obvious shirt and tie are acceptable?

p.s. There is no dress code on the invite.

You outfit sounds nice, but I would be worried that others might be wearing suits rather than odd jackets. But then I've never been to an Italian wedding, sadly. Could you double check with the bride or groom or their family?

powenb

Reaction score

You outfit sounds nice, but I would be worried that others might be wearing suits rather than odd jackets. But then I've never been to an Italian wedding, sadly. Could you double check with the bride or groom or their family?

I will do.
I do also have a blue linen single breasted suit I could wear. But it's brighter than navy and was worried it might be too bright.

E TF

Reaction score

I've been a jean wearer my whole life...I must say I have stayed away from pants because I haven't found one that fits "just right"...I'm a size 37/38 but I kind of have a prominent butt, not excessive but enough to cause an issue where the pants fit great in the seat but too loose in the waist and vice versa.

I want to make my first foray into buying proper pants and am looking for the staples.    If I had to purchase 4 pairs of pants which do you all recommend?    Color and style.   Thanks!

What makes you think jeans are any more flattering than any other type of pant? And don't forget that you can get these things altered - if they fit great elsewhere but are loose in the waist, then take them to a tailor and have the waist taken in.
It's really impossible to answer your question in isolation, without knowing about what sort of clothes you want to wear these pants with, what you want to wear them for, etc. Really, you need to spend some time lurking and reading through the archive here to start forming your own opinion, then maybe come back with more specific questions. And this has doubtless been discussed before anyway, perhaps you could search for those discussions.

E TF

Reaction score

I will do.
I do also have a blue linen single breasted suit I could wear. But it's brighter than navy and was worried it might be too bright.

Sounds good, I think that would be my first option over the blazer, barring further info from the family.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads