1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Respectfully disagree - you can dress down the shirt and the tie and tie knot are fine -- we clearly all assume from the background you are not in an interview or formal setting. To me the offender is that polo pony or other logo - cant quite see - on the sweater. That makes the sweater too casual for a tie.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I'm not sure about rules, but in this specific case, I think your instincts are right. That shirt, and tie, are not working with that sweater. they just don't mesh, to me.

3. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

The shirt is an Oxford cloth which I felt helped play down the formality of the shirt. To aid in context I'm a store's polo rl rep. Normally I wouldn't choose to show a logo.

The tie is a borrelli and it is thick to say the least.

I'm thankful for the advice as I'm continuing to experiment.

4. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

I was originally going to reach for an ocbd, shouldn't have questioned my gut choice.
    Thanks for the constructive criticism.

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

The full spread doesn't work very well with the shape of that particular crewneck - again I'm talking about that sweater in partcular, not all crew necks. A narrower spread could tone it down, or, yes, an OCBD is always safe with a sweater. Anther colour could also help, as white is the most formal shirt colour, and perhaps is so much contrast with the sweater that it draws too much attention in this type of outfit.

6. acecow

acecow Senior member

Borrelli or shmorrelli - doesn't matter. You can make it look better. There is no sugar-coating it: the tie knot is ugly right now. Look at the WAYWRN thread for examples. Or, here's a random google image of a good four-in-hand knot:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

^^^ Double four in hand, I think.

1 person likes this.
  8. E TF

E TF Senior member

QUOTE name="arnathor" url="/t/79716/ask-a-question-get-an-answer-post-all-quick-questions-here/27210#post_7049058"] I am wearing a Kamakura Cutaway Collar, and I am wondering if it is appropriate to wear a cutaway with a crew neck sweater. Am I breaking any rules or is okay? [​IMG] [/QUOTE] Have you yanked the front of the sweater down to show off the tie? Looks like you have, which I think is throwing the whole thing off a bit. If you want that, get a v neck. I like the crewneck + tie idea, regardless of collar type really, but this looks off.

1 person likes this.
  9. acecow

acecow Senior member

Regular.

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I'm quite certain it's double; the first wrap is visible at the bottom edge. Either would be fine, and an improvement on the knot arnathor is wearing. The knot you originally posted is also a bit nicer than this example I found.

11. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I wondered this, too.

12. acecow

acecow Senior member

You're right. It's a double. I was being retarded for a second there.

13. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I have a pair of Howard Yount Trousers and theres a little loop to the right of the front button. Pictured here about 1.5" to the right. What is the purpose of this loop?

Keep your answers clean please. :D

[​IMG]

14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

This happens to me frequently.

1 person likes this.
  15. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Is there also a small pocket somewhere at the waistband?

16. acecow

acecow Senior member

You can thread the tongue of the belt buckle through it to prevent the belt from moving up or down.

1 person likes this.
  17. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Well, upon further examination I definitely agree with you gents. This is why I posted, I want that objective advice. I come off as one of the better dressed associates at my job, but I know full well I can improve. So I appreciate it!

That red tie looks like something anden would Wear, just beautiful.

18. jungleroller

There is not watch/ticket pocket. Pictured here it's the red/white/blue loop. If it is in fact to secure the buckle, how does it work? I feel like a two year old learning to tie my shoes here. :brick:

[​IMG]

19. jungleroller

Ok I think I figured it out. I've never encountered pants with this feature. I was unaware of the term bet tongue. :slayer:

20. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

+1. White shirt with aggressive cutaway is a formal shirt that don't work well with your overall casual outfit. I only wear button downs with sweaters. ( not that this is the only correct shirt, but I tend to only buy formal f2f cutaways or less formals bds). I would also check that tie knot. Looks too big/ not tigtened enough.