• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Scotty

Reaction score
What do you think of this Massimo Dutti sc:

Would it be a nice business casual/just casual sports coat for some years or does it look a little too trendy (thin lapels ?, high button stance?). Fabric is like a very fine velvety corduroy. They call it sarge but I don't think that's very accurate.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Kross

Reaction score
I had to buy a pair of florsheims as a clutch pair of dress shoes and they were $80, I can't return them now because I've worn them outside, I can only exchange, so are there any pair of florsheims that are actually good quality and worth the price?

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got these as a gift: http://www.thefryecompany.com/mens-...-shoes/view-all/84625/james-wingtip?color=BGY in burgundy.

I want to darken them as they are alot brighter than the picture looks. Any suggestions, comments, advice, etc? I know the "redish" color will not completely go away because it is pretty bright but somewhere between this and brown would be fine.
I'd send a pm to Man Of Lint. He's posted a number of times about how he's changed the appearance of shoes. He always seems willing to help someone who is truly interested.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had to buy a pair of florsheims as a clutch pair of dress shoes and they were $80, I can't return them now because I've worn them outside, I can only exchange, so are there any pair of florsheims that are actually good quality and worth the price?

What's wrong with the ones you have now? Can you post a picture or link?

Kross

Reaction score
Its the welles i hate the weird diamond stitching on the side. Should I just cut my losses and just wear these when I need to or does florsheim still that make shoes of actual quality?

Last edited:

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its the welles i hate the weird diamond stitching on the side. Should I just cut my losses and just wear these when I need to or does florsheim still that make shoes of actual quality?

OK, yeah, those are kind of fail. Their Imperial series wing tips tend to be pretty well made. And I have a pair of bone Zurich loafers that are sort of a summer staple.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you don't already have a longwing, Florsheim's Veblen longwing is relatively inexpensive---and therefore worth the price, depending on your perspective. I don't know how it holds up to wear.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you mean by "poor weather"? Dainite is great for mucking about in mud, terrible for ice and other slick, smooth surfaces. Dainite's also not very dressy, if you're looking for something to wear with suits and the like. You'd probably be better off with a non-studded rubber sole or Topy.
Calf can take a pretty good beating from the weather, but it doesn't like road salt. Suede's OK in rain but can be stained by oil and other gunk lurking in puddles/snow. Shell offers great durability, but you have to like the look.

I was under the impression leather soles were to be avoided in the rain, no? I've been nervous about wearing my cordovan and calf shoes when raining. Should anything be done to the shoe after returning indoors from the rain? Just give the leather a quick wipe down?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just let soaked shoes air dry away from heat. Use shoe trees to retain their shape. Leather can get wet. It is heat and chemicals that hurts it.

I feel that all-leather shoes are never truly broken in until they have been worn in the rain and have had a good soak. That seems to allow the inner sole and uppers to mold to your feet for maximum comfort.

muomei

Reaction score
I've tried to search around the internet but don't find much about padded down blazers. What are they called anyways? Here is some pictures of what I mean.

Alfa159

Reaction score
Hello,

(from sw&d, so I apologize in advanced)

I am building up my Mc wardrobe and have recently purchased a pair of Park Avenues for 220 (seconds) in black. I want to keep these shoes in great condition so I am looking to buy a pair of nice (sub $25) shoe trees. Also any recommendations on waxed, polishes, and conditioners would be great.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello,
(from sw&d, so I apologize in advanced)
I am building up my Mc wardrobe and have recently purchased a pair of Park Avenues for 220 (seconds) in black. I want to keep these shoes in great condition so I am looking to buy a pair of nice (sub $25) shoe trees. Also any recommendations on waxed, polishes, and conditioners would be great.

Here is "some" info on the second part of your question.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads