• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
The Savation Army, Goodwill or the card table I'll set up on my lawn come June. Few things are as ubiquitous at thrifts as navy blazers with gold buttons.

I'm always on the prowl for vintage goods. However my size is very hard to come by (36) so I end up buying things new much of the time.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

O'Connells is supposed to be pretty good, retails for $350.00. I do not own this model, but the clothing I do have from them is quality stuff.

http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/blazers.php

The Anderson-Little model at $150 is worth it at that price point, but it is a wool blend, so if you can afford at least the Oconnells go with that.

http://www.andersonlittle.com/

Thanks for the recommendations. I've got a few options now.
smile.gif

either/or

Reaction score
ups, missed this (things get lost easy in this thread): single cuffs & protrusion of sleeves:

Originally Posted by Ianiceman
1. Your shirt sleeves are SUPPOSED to protrude [...]

2. YES, although not very popular. [..]

@1, I ment more than they're supposed to
wink.gif

@2, figured it out, been doing a lot of reading lately, thanks for replying though
tongue.gif

rahjiggah

Reaction score
Hi all... New to this forum... just got a job that demands I wear suits... I got a BB but am slowly building up a collection of suits better than the OTR suits I have... im gleaning alot of info from this site its amazing... any way I can "easily" learn to tie a windsor? Ive gone to some sites but my eyes just glaze over after the 3rd or so step
smile.gif
edit: DOH! just went back a page and saw a picture guide...Ill try that first. nice meeting yall anyways... -rah

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Which is worse on a blazer: the length on the bottom is (just a bit) too short, or the neck is (just a bit) too wide?

(Buying an OTR not-quite-right blazer). Thanks for your input!

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rahjiggah
Hi all...

New to this forum... just got a job that demands I wear suits... I got a BB but am slowly building up a collection of suits better than the OTR suits I have... im gleaning alot of info from this site its amazing... any way I can "easily" learn to tie a windsor? Ive gone to some sites but my eyes just glaze over after the 3rd or so step
smile.gif

edit: DOH! just went back a page and saw a picture guide...Ill try that first. nice meeting yall anyways...

-rah

FYI, a 4-in-hand knot is easy to tie and looks very nice... try here: http://www.tie-a-tie.net/fourinhand.html

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caseyfud
Untitled.png

Can a tailor make this fit correctly or is it beyond hope?

It looks too big in the shoulders to me, so no. What is your concern with the fit?

Knisse

Reaction score
Anyone know if this Mont Blanc wallet also has room for Credit cards, the seller has written

"Interior Organization: 2 hidden pockets + 1 bank note section, rings for 6 keys
Dimensions: 7 x 10.5 cm"

But he has disabled receiving messages, and Mont Blanc has not replied to my Email yet.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
Which is worse on a blazer: the length on the bottom is (just a bit) too short, or the neck is (just a bit) too wide?

(Buying an OTR not-quite-right blazer). Thanks for your input!

In my experience neither can be fixed, so it depends on your comfort level. I would rather have it a bit too short as long as the sleeves fit. Keep looking as different jackets will be cut differently and you could find the right fit elsewhere.

svd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handcuffed
I asked before and no one bothered to give an answer (as perhaps everyone wants to keep their secrets...) but where, other than goodwill, are places to find some nice donated used items in NYC?

I just started looking around recently, and my early experience hasn't brought me anything. I know some of the shops around here are savvier than most - the good stuff isn't making it out to the floor, or it is priced out of bargain territory. Other shops, I don't know, get worked over quickly, maybe? I would think some of the higher end "vintage" shops are scouring the charity shops for anything good.

Maybe it is a numbers game and you have to hit the shops regularly, I don't have time for that.

I haven't come across much I'd buy even in a different size. Maybe two items total. I see a lot of nice names but the style is clearly dated and 10-20 years old. Or a great bespoke suit that is equally old but done so well that the style holds up - and it's been worn to death, and still carries a $90 price tag.

City Opera carries some nice clothes, but they price them so that Ebay looks attractive. I suppose the occasional piece might slip through there.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
I picked this sports coat up for $50 (from $500) and it looks good but I noticed it has a funny wrinkle at the shoulder. Any idea what would cause this and is it something a tailor could fix (or press out?) I'll be going to get the roll taken out anyway. Also hows the fit? My first time to size down to a 38R (i'm a 39 chest and usually get a 40R)

yes this can be taken care of by a tailor. the back must be shortened at the top.
avoid the nice lady at the cleaners.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by butabi
I just bought barker harrisson in cedar calf and i wonder what kind of leather products i should use?
I will use them all year except for the summer, so there will be salt, snow and rain involved.

Lexol leather condition, wax polish (lincoln, or angelus). Try your very best not to get salt on them. Salt kills leather. If you get it on them, use 50% water 50% vinegar solution and rub the hell out of it. Let it dry then condition the hell out of them and polish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads