• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Thank you very much for this.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have gotten Borrelli shirts from them. They have the double button. SpooPoker wears a lot of Borrelli shirts so you can see them in his WAYWRN posts.

grumblegrumble not trying to be like spoo grumble.

in all seriousness though I nearly **** my pants yesterday, my boss came in wearing a really nice blazer (canali, iirc) and a white OCBD with contrast buttonholes and a double button collar... I asked him where he got it he said "Ghirardelli". I suspect he's getting it confused with the chocolate. I really liked it though, and want something similar. Its that kind of tasteful yet obnoxious/irritating aesthetic I aspire to and ultimately give up on, opting instead for 45 competing patterns of tweed.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

grumblegrumble not trying to be like spoo grumble.

in all seriousness though I nearly **** my pants yesterday, my boss came in wearing a really nice blazer (canali, iirc) and a white OCBD with contrast buttonholes and a double button collar... I asked him where he got it he said "Ghirardelli". I suspect he's getting it confused with the chocolate. I really liked it though, and want something similar. Its that kind of tasteful yet obnoxious/irritating aesthetic I aspire to and ultimately give up on, opting instead for 45 competing patterns of tweed.

My 2 cents, don't get anything with contrast buttonholes.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My 2 cents, don't get anything with contrast buttonholes.

Colin Cowherd disagrees. One of his jackets is navy with white buttonholes and he leaves 2-3 buttons undone on the cuff.
facepalm.gif

Last edited:

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Colin Cowhered disagrees. One of his jackets is navy with white buttonholes and he leaves 2-3 buttons undone on the cuff.
facepalm.gif
I couldn't pull that off. ****, I can barely pull off chinos and a plain OCBD. I think I could do a shirt with contrast buttonholes if the rest was bone simple, eg. Mid blue plain twill OCBD with navy stitching and those really light colored horn buttons. Maybe. But I suspect in my case pB is right and I'd most likely come out looking like a fool, though he was too kind to phrase it that way.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He can pull it off because people are distracted by Beadle's beauty. She is an angel, a promiscuous, rich angel.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a merino wool crew-neck sweater that is a little too baggy around the midsection.  I'm thinking about trying to shrink it by soaking it in hot water and laying it out to dry. 
Should I throw it in the dryer?  Use cold water instead of hot?  Thoughts?

I shrink oversize wool pretty often... just did this on an RLPL cashmere/linen 60/40 blend and it shrunk to perfection. It's the dryer though that does it. I usually just wash on delicate, warm/cool setting with Woolite. Then to the dryer on medium/high and monitor the shrinkage process. After it warms up and gets hot it will start to shrink..the more you dry to completely dry the more it will shrink...just do it progressively until its small enough then air dry. btw, it will most likely shrink the trunk and sleeve length as well so be sure you want it smaller overall... it won't just shrink the midsection.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I'm looking to make an investment in a versatile wool coat / jacket that will look good, keep me warm, and serve me well for several years. Something clean and classic would be nice. I'm more interested in value than concerned about actual cost (willing to lay down some dime for the right coat).

I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria:

-For casual city wear. Will only be worn with denim, usually with quality brown leather boots.
-Not a peacoat: I already have 2 nice old kersey wool peacoats
-Gray or navy
-button closure
-around 31-34" inches long or so (about the length of a size 40 Barbour Beaufort, or a bit longer, if that helps) that covers the rear but stops well short of the knees.
-don't want a cropped coat with a waistband
-don't want a long coat or top coat (too dressy, annoying to sit and drive in, generally not as utilitarian as I'm looking for with this jacket)
-preferably with vents
-will consider lined or unlined. My priority is to find a quality wool shell and the right cut
-by 'quality wool' I don't mean cashmere or anything with a fancy finish--i loved the tight-knit kersey wool of old peacoats
-I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs and wear a size 40 suit (but will never wear this jacket with a suit)

Years ago as an undergrad, I wore and loved the J. Crew University Jacket because it was warm, easy to wear, had generous pockets, and looked somewhat respectable. I'm essentially looking for an "adult" version of that coat, if such a thing exists. Better quality, better construction, but equally versatile and utilitarian.

Any suggestions or ideas where to start?

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

can someone decipher the numbers for me?
so far, these alfred sargent made peal & co. shoes have been the most comfortable and best fitting dress shoes ... so i'd like to know what last it is and stick to it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads